Bot names

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
B

Bashe

Do the bots have absolutely set names in UT2004? It seems that I can't change their names.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Bashe said:
Do the bots have absolutely set names in UT2004? It seems that I can't change their names.

No, you can't change the names.

Why?

Because then people would play bots only in CTF (team) matches and change the names to thier sworn e-enemies and own them. Then they would post screenies of said match whenever there's some sort of online ruckus about who own's who and that would tear a hole in the space time contiuum.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Hanover_Fist said:

Why?

Because then people would play bots only in CTF (team) matches and change the names to thier sworn e-enemies and own them. Then they would post screenies of said match whenever there's some sort of online ruckus about who own's who and that would tear a hole in the space time contiuum.

Yeah, otherwise I could edit a scoreboard like the one attached below and make it look as if the only reason our team lost was because TWD didn't pull his weight.

Now, we all know that 1) TWD never loses, and 2) there's no way in heck I could have had a better match than the great and mighty TWD, so it must be a fake! :)

Attachments

• Shot00004.JPG
    Shot00004.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 125

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Hanover_Fist said:

*eh* you're wrong ... you can change the names.
That's why there's a custom-bot option in UT2k4, altough you really need an editor of some kind to change the names themselves.

Bonzo_Dog

Feb 20, 2004
Hanover_Fist said:

Why?

Rubbish . bots show a zero ping,in an online game,so even if you remaned them to an enemy ,it would look false because of the no-ping factor,then you would have to edit the screenie giving the false players that are actually bots -a ping
in UT it is easy to rename the bots they are in the user ini file, i just had a quick look through 2k4 but i cant find this option

Last edited:
B

Bashe

I just wanna rename this bot named SpongeBob Squarepants to just Spongebob.

I use the skin.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Bashe said:
I just wanna rename this bot named SpongeBob Squarepants to just Spongebob.

I use the skin.

Who is this "Spongebob Squarepants", and how do you know him?

ps. listen not to the tales of Bonzo, for his tongue wags loosely with lies.....

Bonzo_Dog

Feb 20, 2004
Hanover_Fist said:
Who is this "Spongebob Squarepants", and how do you know him?

ps. listen not to the tales of Bonzo, for his tongue wags loosely with lies.....
:lol: what a dipstick, me a liar? the guy got to know "Spongebob Squarepants" when on Holiday in Spain, Spongebob was the swimming pool attendant at the Hotel, he was born in the UK and is not a member of these forumz ! yet ? and he made this new model/skin for UT

Attachments

• apebabe.jpg
    apebabe.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 39

Zaigou

Jan 10, 2004
You can rename them. just open the xplayersL1.upl or xplayersL2.upl file (in your system folder) with notepad, find the bot name that you want to change. they are all like "Player=(DefaultName="Malcolm",Race="ThunderCrash",Mesh=HumanMaleA... and goes on" change the malcolm to whatever you desire, dont touch anything else and save. after that change the bot name(malcolm) in XPlayers.int too, save and thats it.

as to downloaded models/skins just find the botname.upl (again in your system folder)and do the same as above.

btw you wont lose malcolm or any other "core" bot, its like cloning you will still have a malcolm and the one with the different name. but the downloaded ones you'll just have the old one with a new name.

ofcourse I dont take any responsibility if you computer explodes or your game becomes sentient and takes over your country.

captainrad

admiral spock!
Feb 15, 2004
Renegade Retard said:
Yeah, otherwise I could edit a scoreboard like the one attached below and make it look as if the only reason our team lost was because TWD didn't pull his weight.

Now, we all know that 1) TWD never loses, and 2) there's no way in heck I could have had a better match than the great and mighty TWD, so it must be a fake! :)
heh thats an awesome ping you got there ren, you on a t1 ;)

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
You should never touch xPlayersL1.upl or xPlayersL2.upl
In Ut2k3 servers sometimes noticed changes to these files and could kick you for it.

There is a safer route and that's the 'custom-roster'-feature !

Code:
[UnrealGame.CustomBotConfig]
ConfigArray=(CharacterName="Abaddon",PlayerName="Abandon",CustomVoice="RobotXL2K3VP1.RobotXL2K3VP1",CustomOrders=POS_Roam,FavoriteWeapon="XWeapons.Minigun",Aggressiveness=0.000000,Accuracy=-2.000000,CombatStyle=0.000000,StrafingAbility=-2.000000,Tactics=-2.000000,ReactionTime=-2.000000,Jumpiness=0.000000,bJumpy=False)
Would be an example ...
To get the bots listed in that section you either need to start an instant-action game with a custom-roster or you could add it by hand.

JBM v3.0 will support this feature for UT2k4 like JBM v2.5 RC1 currently does for UT2k3.