$2,000 for a new PC - but where?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

$GB$StryfE

Nov 11, 1999
New York
go.to
I'd like to hear your guys opinions. I got $2,000 to spend and I'am going for at least a 650 Athlon, 128 Ram, 7200RPM (trying for Desktar) HD, No DVD (that's what my PSX2 is for) but a Burner etc.

I dont wanna order different parts from different places and build it myself. I just want it from a retailer like Gateway, Alienware etc. What retailers are good in your guys opinions?

------------------
Evil is only a word, reality is much worse. Welcome to reality, now prepare for the ultimate in biological destruction.
--------------------
Resident Evil Sanctum
http://www.unreality.dk/Greenbacks

wiggum_pi

Dec 28, 1999
Visit site
I hear good things about Dell and PCNut. Try going to http://www.resellerratings.com -- they rank thousands computer parts-related companies, along with most (if not all) major computer vendors.

BTW -- the scale on Resellerratings.com is from 0 to 7.

Oh yeah, the companies are reviewed by users, not the people who work at Resellerratings.com... it's pretty self-explanatory once you go there.
bullet2.gif

Who's gonna be the odd man out? I want to be the odd man out.
-- CookieMnstr_TC|PuF

[This message has been edited by wiggum_pi (edited 03-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by wiggum_pi (edited 03-05-2000).]

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
Its a shame you dont want to build it yourself cause I just ran some prices.

AMD Athelon 800
128MB RAM
40x CD
8x4x24 CDR
Geforce
Sb Live xgamer
17gb ata66
10mbps NIC
56k V.90 Modem

will cost ya about $1400 if you buy seperatly.

Of course monitor is not included

KDS 19" $349 at www.outpost.com

With all this you can tweak away with $600 extra you have

A little rule I have is to never spend $2000 or more on a PC, The best bang for buck is in the $1500 range

bullet2.gif

---Prof. Of Comic-Therory/Comedic-History

Beware the army of Giant Mutan Ninja Midgets!!!

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
OOps I forgot to give some important info www.pricewatch.com
Thats where I got all my pricing.

If you want one preconfigured I would go to one of you local superstores, CopUSSR, Microcentre, or even that small time operaton at the corner stripmall, and have them configure it. Get the basics from them and add the high-tech hardware (video card etc...) yourself.
The reason I sugest this is these places tend to use off-the-shelf parts and you dont have a propriatary nightmare. IE you will be able to swap and upgrade as you see fit.

MAKE SURE the AGP card is in a slot and not soldered onto the board!!!!!
Beware shared Video, It has the touch of doom.

bullet2.gif

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
OOps I forgot to give some important info www.pricewatch.com
Thats where I got all my pricing.

If you want one preconfigured I would go to one of you local superstores, CopUSSR, Microcentre, or even that small time operaton at the corner stripmall, and have them configure it. Get the basics from them and add the high-tech hardware (video card etc...) yourself.
The reason I sugest this is these places tend to use off-the-shelf parts and you dont have a propriatary nightmare. IE you will be able to swap and upgrade as you see fit.

MAKE SURE the AGP card is in a slot and not soldered onto the board!!!!!
Beware shared Video, It has the touch of doom.

bullet2.gif

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I have a Gateway that has been a very, very good computer. I hear Dell's service is the best around. I also hear that Alienware and Falcon are over-priced.

You can get top brand stuff from Gateway/Dell (ie. Voodoo3000, TNT2, etc.) and you'll pay a bit more than if you built it yourself, but you'll get good service and fewer compatibility headaches.

bullet2.gif

Yes, I know I'm full of $I-IiT - but I'm Godlike dammit!

hal{PuF}

HWAS

Dec 26, 1999
Carnegie, PA USA
members.tripod.com
I got a $1300 PC from Gateway and I am very satisfied. (Although I did have to upgrade, and that put it up over $2k.) But now I realize that I should have built my own, because I could have chosen good parts; I don't even know what P.O.S. brand TNT was in this comp. I did compare, and it is a little cheaper to buy at a retailer though.

Junglecat

Feb 24, 2000
San Jose, CA, USA
Visit site
Please don't waste your money on overpriced dealers like Alienware and NW. Don't buy a gateway either since they put in crappy parts. Either get a Dell, Micron, or build one yourself (it ain't too hard).

-JungleCat

Chief says, you fight like sissy girl!

wiggum_pi

Dec 28, 1999
Visit site
http://pcnut.com/systems/crusher.htm

Athlon 500 @ 800 MHz
128 MB RAM
GeForce DDR
IBM 34GXP 27 GB 7200 RPM
... other stuff
for $1895
It doesn't come with a CD-RW, but you can probably ask them to add one in.

You can actually email them, and they will respond, even if you do not commit to buying from them.

bullet2.gif

Who's gonna be the odd man out? I want to be the odd man out.
-- CookieMnstr_TC|PuF

ThrasherX9

Dec 5, 1999
Visit site
i like the HP, i dont know about service since i never required it, but i think HP is a really quality computer. Also they make good hardware.

bullet2.gif

**"Someday we'll look back on this moment and plow into a parked car."-Evan Davis

**"Women need a reason to have sex - men just need a place." - Billy Crystal.

MrPants

Mar 5, 2000
NY,NY
Visit site
Gateway and the Big Companies use CHEAP parts. I think you'll regret getting one of them. (where do they dig up these crappy video cards?) Falcon and Alienware seem expensive, but all their parts are top of the line. Anyway consider Falcon Talon, Dell, or a local retailer. (U may need to upgrade some parts.) That's not too bad because in a few months the next gen. of video cards will be here.

bullet2.gif

aka Happy_Pants, etc.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I'd like for you guys that claim that Gateway and Dell "put in crappy parts" to explain what you mean. I think you confuse that with "you can order crappy parts".

You do realize that you can order a Voodoo 3000 or GeForce....or you can just order a crappy card....your choice. You can order a very nice computer from either one....it's all in the choices you make.

BTW, Mr Pants...do you realize you said Gateway and THE BIG COMPANIES use cheap parts...and then recommended one of the absolute LARGEST companies in the WORLD.... Dell.

enough said...

bullet2.gif

Yes, I know I'm full of $I-IiT - but I'm Godlike dammit!

hal{PuF}

[This message has been edited by hal (edited 03-06-2000).]

Butress

The Bearer of Humpage
Jan 13, 2000
Visit site
I have a Gateway now but for one reason. I will be moving "somewhere" in May. Nowhere close to where I am now. I needed support that can send me the replacement when **** goes bad. I know that some of the stuff may not be the perfect hardware. But, when I can get a new one in about a week, it makes me smile. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

I want your blood....
And I want your soul....
And I want them both right now!

$GB$StryfE

Nov 11, 1999
New York
go.to
Ok well I would go with Dell, Micron or Quantex but they do not supply Athlons, that's what I want. I also want a retailer because it's just easier, quicker, benifits and warrenties with on site techs.

So I turned to GateWay and I customed a good rig for a cheap price. I still don't know how it's this cheap:

Athlon 700
128 PC SDRAM
20GB 7200 Ultra ATA 66
Internal 56k (doesnt say brand, must be generic. Doesnt matter, I will be getting the 3 Com Gaming modem soon)
SoundBlaste Live! Value
Boston Acoustics w/ Sub
Voodoo 3 3000 (I dont like the 3500)
17 Inch Moniter
IntelliMouse
Microsoft Keyboard Elite
17Xmin/40x Max CD and Phillips 4x/4x/24x CDRW
External 100MB Zip Drive

$1900

bullet2.gif

Evil is only a word, reality is much worse. Welcome to reality, now prepare for the ultimate in biological destruction.
--------------------
Resident Evil Sanctum
http://www.unreality.dk/Greenbacks

M

Morgan

Most of the PC's I have are self built however, I now also own a Gateway PC. Mainly for fast and easy support. It's VooDoo3 (3000) card broke down a couple of months ago and I recieved a new and better card (The new card included a TV connection) the next day.

If i'd have to go to my local retailer it would probably've taken more time.

bullet2.gif

Yeah lady, You and the IRS...

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
That seems high to me.. what part of it sounds like it should be more?

The 700? Probably cost them $180 (267 for us)
128MB? Probably $50 (100 for us)
20.GB? Probably $100 (150 for us)
SBLive! Value $20 (40 for us)
V3 3K $75 (110 for us)
17" $100 (175 for us)
Mouse $5 (15 for us)
Keyboard $5 (20 for us)
CDR $75 (120 for us)
Ext Zip $70 (100 for us)
Speakers $100? (150? for us - this could be way off)
Modem $15 (50 for us)
Motherboard $75 (100 for us)
Case $20 (50 for us)
Floppy $5 (12 for us)
CD $20 (40 for us)

Total for them - $915 (remember, it's an estimate base on approximate wholesale prices).

For you, 1500, add shipping for yourself +100 = $1600. 3 Year Warranty on most (if not all) items - yes, there would be some downtime. Keep in mind, I'm not trying to convince you to build your own, just letting you know the cost involved, and the tradeoffs that come with the lower price.

Again, these are just estimates, but they're still charging quite a bit for a Athlon 700Mhz.

bullet2.gif

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me." ~ Robert A. Heinlein
nguid:453406

[This message has been edited by Rooster (edited 03-06-2000).]