Programmer needed, UT2004 Mini Mod

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arthur Krupp

May 5, 2004
Hi,
I am starting up a new mod project and require a programmer (or two) to code in a third team for UT2004. Full details on the mod below. I would be most grateful if you could help out, or in fact if you know anyone who could. You can contact me both through email and MSN Messenger at arthurkruppAThotmail.com (just repalce AT with @ to keep the spam monkey's happy.)

Thank you for your time,

Arthur Krupp

3-Way UT2004 mods.
A series of mini-mods for Unreal Tournament 2004 adding fun and unpredictable elements to existing game modes such as Capture the Flag and Bombing Run by introducing a 3rd team into the equation.
This has been done before in Quake 3 and proved quite successful with its CTF incarnation there and there is no doubt in my mind that it would prove quite successful in UT2004.
The basic premise is, like so many good ideas, simple but highly effective: You introduce a 3rd team into a traditionally 2 team environment and sit back to enjoy the carnage.
Two way matches are undoubtedly fun but are a little predictable-you go in one direction, attack one enemy and defend against them also. But what happens if out of no-where a third team jump into the fray? Suddenly you have two directions in which to attack and also defend. This will work particularly well in Capture the Flag & Bombing run, but also I think in new modes such as Onslaught and perhaps even Assault (although those two incarnations would come a long way down the road…)

In order to make these mods a reality first of all we must get a coder to “mess around” with the game dynamics and introduce the third team into the game engine itself. Then mappers must both modify existing maps to take 3 teams and also create totally new maps specifically designed for 3-way carnage.
The main element of this plan hinges around the coder(s) of course-in order for anything to happen they must mutilate the code to our ends but I have no doubt that a skilled coder or two would be able to accomplish this. Then modifying existing maps to take 3 teams will be a fairly simple matter of taking the generic map template and creating a third side to the map and moulding it on to the existing framework. Also we may consider doing this with good user-created maps, with the mappers consent of course.
The hard mapping work then comes from creating totally original maps suited for 3-way combat.
Following that we’ll just need to create a third colour uniform for our new team and we have a mod!

The overall project will roll out in a number of stages-first of all both a Capture the Flag and Bombing Run edition will be created with one or two maps each, probably existing modified maps. These will be used as a beta playtest where we will lay down the coding framework, let the mappers find out how best to integrate the third team into the maps and also to let the general public take a look at the game and decide which version they prefer. Then judging on fan reaction we give either CTF or BR priority for the creation of new maps and so on and develop that particular version for a month or two straight, perhaps releasing one or two original maps for the other version to keep it alive until we finish full production of the more popular version. We then turn down a gear with the popular version and move on to full production for the second version. (Personally I think CTF will be the more popular version but then again what would I know?)

As for timing, well I know f#!k all about coding so don’t ask me how long it would take to modify in a third team, though I know that the game engine is malleable enough to be able to do it fairly easily one thing about programming is that its usually the easy bits that hold you up for a week or two…
Then onto mapping, which I do know more about. I would say a decent mapper could throw out 2 or 3 modified existing maps in a day if he had a few hours as most if not all maps are basically one big block that is then mirrored and placed on the other side to make a whole map, the only difference being team specific colours. Therefore the most work will be in changing wall décor and attaching the third segment to the map proper (that’ll probably be the most head wrecking bit).
Of course throwing out original maps won’t be quite so easy-in fact for a decent map I’d give a mapper a week or more, but with a few people working on one or two projects you could shell out a couple of seriously good maps inside a month.

Then there is the ancillary business-a texture artist to create the new colour for placing on walls & bodies and possibly a sound artist to create new announcements for the third team. I have not yet decided on what colour to use for the third team until I sit down with the texture artist to see what would work best.

Right, so that’s that, looks simple but probably won’t be. Now, requirements & timeframes:

Recruitment needs:
Coder: Minimum 1, perhaps more if required
Mapper: Minimum 1 at start will have to expand as time goes on
Texture Artist: Minimum 1 will probably suffice
Sound Engineer: Minimum 1 will probably suffice

Initial (shooting) timeframe:
Start up: All initial documents together, initial web-site up, recruitment-1 week.
Coding: As I say I don’t know coding so this space blank for now.
Initial Beta Versions dev time: 1 week from coding completion.
Public Reaction Time: 1 week
(POPULAR VERSION) Full Dev time: 1 month from end of trial

Note that that time frame will be subject to change and those times given are generous-for instance I would say “Initial Beta Versions dev time” would be less than one week in total if you were only converting one or two maps but you never do know…