PDA

View Full Version : Support BU: POP Email Accounts

QAPete
2nd May 2004, 07:08 AM
One of the easiest and least expensive ways you can help support BeyondUnreal is through the purchase of a BeyondUnreal POP Email account. With all of the spam and viruses kicking around, there's never been a better time to consider hooking up with BU in this way. For a measly $12 US per year, here's what you get:

A 24x7 POP (receive only) email account that works seamlessly with your SMTP (send only) server from your ISP. Our uptime over the past year easily exceeded 99.5%.

Spam blocking/filtering via Realtime Blackhole Lists, spam IP banning, procmail rules and SpamAssassin, the most popular open-source spam filtering solution.

Full-time virus scanning via ClamAV, an open-source virus scanner that works in conjunction with our qmail-scanner. The virus definitions are updated hourly.

Currently, BeyondUnreal blocks over 80% of incoming mail, as it's spam or virii. Here's a real-time chart of the virii that BU POP Email account holders don't have to deal with (chart shows virii blocked per five minutes):

So, instead of dealing with massive amounts of spam and virus-laden emails, support BeyondUnreal by purchasing a BU POP Email account today! You'll help us, we'll help you!

Zenny
2nd May 2004, 09:08 AM
For everyone that has a @beyondunreal.com account already, let me ramble about how you can filter messages SA thinks is junk. SA adds two mail headers to every email, those two headers are: X-Spam-Status and X-Spam-Level. X-Spam-Status will always contain either a "Yes" if the message is considered spam, or a "No" if it is not. It also contains the score the email recieved next to the required score to be marked as spam. (In case you didn't know, SA evalutes emails and assigns them a score, if they are above a certain number - they are marked as spam) . X-Spam-Level contains a precentage representation of "how spam like" this message is, it will always look something like this "++++"

Now, how can you filter these messages out? It's pretty simple, actually.

In Thunderbird

Go To: Tools >> Message Filters
Create New Filter
Name The Filter "Junk"
Select "Match all of the following"
In the white box below, select "To contains you@beyondunreal.com"
Hit "More"
In the newly created select box, select "Customize"
Type in "X-Spam-Status" and then hit add
Enter "X-Spam-Status contains Yes"
Under Preform these Actions
Check "Move" and put the directory as the junk folder.
Hit Enter

In Outlook Express

I can't figure out how to filter based on X-Spam-Status in MSOE, if any of you know how, please post

blindwitheax
2nd May 2004, 09:31 AM
when there is some viri for linux let me know. ill just click your ads when i see interest.

QAPete
2nd May 2004, 10:20 AM
Well, I run a Linux desktop too, and I gotta tell you, I'm sick of downloading 50 Windows virii-laden emails every day. After we put in ClamAV, that number dropped to zero.

It's like a breath of fresh air.

Pete
-BeyondUnreal

BesigedB
2nd May 2004, 10:31 AM
Zenny: you cann't filter for custom headers in OE

Selerox
2nd May 2004, 10:33 AM
BU Mail is a very, very slick mail service. I've been using it for a while now, and I've got no complaints with it whatsoever :tup:

TossMonkey
2nd May 2004, 10:41 AM
The only people who can email my hotmail account are those in my safe list, the rest just hit the junkmail folder.

Bazzi
2nd May 2004, 12:53 PM
Hm, I would want to be able to send emails, too :/

BesigedB
2nd May 2004, 01:19 PM
use your isp's smtp server

screeny2
2nd May 2004, 01:59 PM
*agree*
i dont have any smtp-server from my isp

QAPete
2nd May 2004, 02:18 PM
If you have a true static IP, it is possible for us to set you up for SMTP server access through BeyondUnreal. Otherwise, no go (we're not into being a relay server....)

Pete
-BeyondUnreal

Bazzi
2nd May 2004, 02:24 PM
use your isp's smtp server

Yeah, but I can use it for pop then, too ;)

blindwitheax
2nd May 2004, 03:15 PM
a tip for all you windows users, dont open attachments and dont buy **** from spam.

Rodzilla
2nd May 2004, 03:32 PM
Can't you just allow SMTP with authentication?

BesigedB
2nd May 2004, 04:03 PM
Yeah, but I can use it for pop then, too ;)
you are kinda missing the point, the two are utterly seperate things (regardless of how much your isp tells you otherwise :lol: )

Juguard
2nd May 2004, 08:51 PM
when there is some viri for linux let me know. ill just click your ads when i see interest.
oh man, why are the guests enabled?

neenee
3rd May 2004, 05:58 AM
it's 'viruses', not 'virii'. common mistake though.

yup. spamassassin is great.

Mychaeel
3rd May 2004, 06:56 AM
If you have a true static IP, it is possible for us to set you up for SMTP server access through BeyondUnreal. Otherwise, no go (we're not into being a relay server....)
Secure SMTP and SMTP Authentication are a fabulous solution for that problem. :)

lophead
3rd May 2004, 08:25 AM

This is true.

blindwitheax
3rd May 2004, 12:31 PM

yup. spamassassin is great.

thanx for the correction

Bazzi
3rd May 2004, 02:05 PM
you are kinda missing the point, the two are utterly seperate things (regardless of how much your isp tells you otherwise :lol: )

:mwink: