PDA

View Full Version : Putting the shell modifier from Max6 into Max5.1?

Starstreams
1st May 2004, 11:46 PM
There is a new modifier that comes with 3dsMax6 that lets you create walls out surfaces that have (0) thickness, itsí cool
Anyway, Iím just wondering if it's possible to copy this new modifier from Max6 and somehow import it into Max 5.1 to use there?

Voodoo_180
8th May 2004, 04:30 PM
No, at least not easily anyway. The file used is SolidifyPW.dlm in your max 6/stdplugs directory, but when copied into the max 5 stdplugs directory it causes an error on startup, fails to initialise.

I say not easily, because I think you can get plugins to work in different versions of max by decompiling them to maxscript and then compiling them again in the other version, but this depends on if you have the full legal version or not and I don't know how to do it myself anyway.

Starstreams
8th May 2004, 10:45 PM
Makes sense, I mean I know they wouldnít make it easy or know one would buy max 6.

Anyway, just curious as far as modeling for unreal not sure if itís worth the cost of upgrading to 6 but that shell modifier sure is nice and saves time!

Do you know of any 3d party plugin/modifiers for Max5 that works similar to this shell modifier? I mean all you really need is something that create thickness and your good to go.

Voodoo_180
10th May 2004, 01:26 PM
I've never actually used the shell modifier so I'm not sure exactly what it does that you want, but have you tried the extrude modifier? I often use that on shape objects to extrude them to give depth, not sure if that's what you mean...

Stigmata
10th May 2004, 01:57 PM
I've never actually used the shell modifier so I'm not sure exactly what it does that you want, but have you tried the extrude modifier? I often use that on shape objects to extrude them to give depth, not sure if that's what you mean...
No, extrude won't do what he wants (and bevel is better generally, I think). Shell will basically cut much of the legwork out of a Boolean object, which is real nice, and then it lets you assign wall thickness and separate textures to the outer and inner wall, as well as the edge. It's a very nice tool. Bevel won't quite cut it. For 5.1, your best bet is to just master the boolean.