new gpu old game.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DJMONDY

Apr 28, 2004
hi everyone,
im sorry if this has already been posted.
i own a geforce fx 5900 ultra and i would like to know if there is a patch for unreal-1 which would work with this card.
the game used to run fine on my old monster3d card.
at the moment it runs in low-res and it does'nt have all the nice textures like reflections etc.

please help!

Asgard

Oct 6, 2000
Visit site
DJMONDY said:
hi everyone,
im sorry if this has already been posted.
i own a geforce fx 5900 ultra and i would like to know if there is a patch for unreal-1 which would work with this card.
the game used to run fine on my old monster3d card.
at the moment it runs in low-res and it does'nt have all the nice textures like reflections etc.

please help!

Have you tried the patch for opengl at www.oldunreal.com or perhaps using d3d?

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
is this original unreal or UnrealGold?

if original you should get the 226final patch
or maybe 225f
or install each one in different folders with the folder named
unreal225f etc..like I do

for max online compatibility... :D

DJMONDY

Apr 28, 2004
Its the oringinal unreal. i downloaded some patches lastnite and installed them but the 225 & 226 did'nt work. so i tried patch 224v and it worked great under opengl and d3d was ok.

many thanx for your help!

DJMONDY

Apr 28, 2004
do you know which one is the best to use? there's so many.
there's v2.101 to v2.107 and detail max patch and advanced options patches, s3tc which i tried lastnite but it did'nt work?
im lost, please help!

sorry about all the questions.

Hyper

Hyper.nl Unreal Services
Nov 21, 2003
Planet Earth
www.hypercoop.tk
I think unreal will run great on the FX5900. Be sure to turn all quality options to the max, and use 8x Anisotropic Filtering, 2 layers of detail textures (Detailmax = 2) and S3TC HighRes textures. In this way you will use the power of your FX5900.

(When I use these settings, my framerate gets limited sometimes because my GF4 Ti 4600 is not fast enough sometimes.)

DJMONDY

Apr 28, 2004
Ive put everything on max detail AA and AF while using opengl mode. It looks nice but its just not the same as before? i dont understand what im doing wrong?

This is a stupid example but when i shoot the first gun you pick up it does'nt have the blue sparkley bits trailing behind it.

I tried the S3TC thing when you take the textures from UT disk2 but it didnt work (gutted).

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
The Dispersion Pistol effect was changed at some point... no good reason I can see.

Unfortunately, reverb / echoing sounds are broken in 224 (they used to be awesome outside the Sunspire). Reverb is back in 226f but it just isn't the same. Don't know why they changed it.

Unpatched Unreal has a lot going for it, but nobody uses Glide any more. :)

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
yeah I never understood why they changed Unreal either. I mean they even gave it the majority of UT's sounds, which really sucks (I cant stand it when a rocket from a brute hits the ground and makes the lauching a flak grenade noise)

Shouldnt it be possible to just get a good D3D driver from 226f and put it in the original install?

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
Deadalus: Sadly not, since the headers are different and the files aren't compatible.

DJMONDY: There was never an official one. 226f itself was only a response to a petition. I believe 227 was at one stage being considered as a community project.

scirmast

Oct 20, 2002
Finland
Visit site
I know this topic is very old, but I have some more questions and would not like to start entirely new topic. So I have this same problem - old game, new computer. I searched for help and found the new OpenGL patches. Things were looking good, until I started the game. Some of the surfaces - especially water, were black, or had shadowy black blobs. I have tracked the problem to lightning, but if I turn all lightning off, the game looks really bad. Any ideas?

My GFX card is Radeon 9200SE. It's nowhere near good, but this comp is mainly for home theatre purposes.