PDA

View Full Version : N00B alert

The Rabbit!
25th Apr 2004, 10:32 PM
Greetings, I'm a n00b at this so please be kind. Is there a tutorial or someone that can walk me though making my own team emblem and putting it in UT 2k4? Do I need any special software? Am I in the wrong forum? Am I being silly? Ever wonder what it would be like if DOG actually spelled Cat? :lol: Thanks

The Rabbit!

SamMaster
26th Apr 2004, 07:19 AM
Hmm... I don't know about this actualy... Could be interesting. Anyone?

Psycho_Leech
26th Apr 2004, 10:26 AM
An interesting idea, but would it work for online play? Although I admit that it's unlikely to be used online though, except maybe for organised tournaments where different clans could design their own logos, then it would be a good idea.
I guess I would like to have my own custom logo, I wonder where the information about team logos is stored.

soldat
26th Apr 2004, 11:06 AM
we need spraypaint logos (decals)!

yeah, it'd be interesting to implement this for online play... perhaps a centralized server that stores all logos, and you can upload your own?

Postal
26th Apr 2004, 12:45 PM
You can make youre own logos, but I think for online, it would only work if youre the server. I forget where I saw how to do it though.

EvilDrWong
26th Apr 2004, 12:47 PM
Ok, i tried to post this yesterday but god killed my internet connection and i got tired of waiting for it to come back up, so i left.

The team symbol will probably have to be certain dimensions, but always power of two (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc) Im gonna say its either 128x128 or 256x256. You dont need anything special to make the team symbol, in fact, paint would even work. You'll want to make SURE its grayscale. White for the opaque parts, gray for the semi-transparent junk, and black for the fully unvisible stuff. Once you got your teamsymbol created you would then open up UED and import the texture into the game (not hard at all, just pick a package name and a texture name for it, viola!)
From there, i believe all you would need to do is create a .ucl teamsymbol entry for it. But since you arent even at that part, lets wait till you get the rest done and finish this little lesson up at a later date :)

The Rabbit!
27th Apr 2004, 12:31 PM
Ok... Um Dr. Wong. How do I do that? :( Is there something on the UT2k4 Tutorial disk that will show me how? This is prolly so simple that once I do it it's gonna be like (Smeck!) "That was Easy!" :eek: Thanks fer da help.

The Rabbit! (Doging is a GOOD thing)

EvilDrWong
27th Apr 2004, 12:52 PM
hmm... there might be, but im not sure. Take a peek around at anything that has to do with texturing a model (figure thatll be the easiest place to find it ;) )

Postal
28th Apr 2004, 09:51 PM
I say export one of the current ones, edit it to what you want, import it in a new package. Then find the int or ucl referecnes for it, and copy those.

SamMaster
29th Apr 2004, 01:43 PM
Postal = smrt

Postal
29th Apr 2004, 04:02 PM
I am so smart, I am so smart, S M R T, I mean S M A R T.

The Rabbit!
30th Apr 2004, 11:21 PM
:confused: Um... Ok, but well uh... How do I get the texture out of the package, then set it up so I can edit the little guy? (Grabs head) All this editing stuff ARGH!!!! (Thrashes around on the ground) Ok enough drama. I can get the textures to show up in unreal ed. I can export em out as a DDS file, but I don't have the software to see the picture, or edit it. What do I need to do that?

SamMaster
1st May 2004, 01:55 PM
Hmm... there are some programs that will convert those, but I usualy just use WoTGreal (.com) which has the best exporting suit I've seen for 2k3/2k4. Its also a very good editing program all together, though some hate it like the plague. All a matter of taste.

EvilDrWong
2nd May 2004, 10:40 AM
... and those with taste hate it like the plague ;)

Harmeister
2nd May 2004, 03:08 PM
... and those with taste hate it like the plague ;)

That's cold man, real cold... ;)

EvilDrWong
4th May 2004, 11:18 AM
Out of freaking nowhere! +20 ninja points for that one ;)

Harmeister
4th May 2004, 09:25 PM
:) I scan through the forums looking for the keyword WOTgreal every once in a while to see if there are problems that I should know about which haven't been reported to me yet. This thread happened to fit the search criteria, so I jumped out of the shadows to defend myself :D

*Harm jumps back into the shadows*

ROFL 451
5th May 2004, 12:38 PM
:confused: Um... Ok, but well uh... How do I get the texture out of the package, then set it up so I can edit the little guy? (Grabs head) All this editing stuff ARGH!!!! (Thrashes around on the ground) Ok enough drama. I can get the textures to show up in unreal ed. I can export em out as a DDS file, but I don't have the software to see the picture, or edit it. What do I need to do that?

Ok, it's not too complicated. Btw, WOTGreal is quite a good program, I use it to code.

#1. Download and Install WOTgreal
#2. Open WOTgreal
#3. Click on the "Tools" tab at the top
#4. Click on "Advanced Exporter" (near the bottom of the list)
#5. Select the texture package you want to export
#6. Check the boxes by the textures in that package you want to export
#7. Near the top, hit the little white folder with the text .bmp below it
#8. Go to your UT200X folder and look for an "Images" folder - they should be in that folder, in many different sizes. The bigger the image size the better quality.

Once you have done that, contact us again and we will guide you through importing them again. ;)

Hope that helped

SamMaster
6th May 2004, 11:17 PM
DrWong is just a bitter old man who still uses his cane instead of the remote

EvilDrWong
6th May 2004, 11:48 PM
And thats the way i likes it!

Postal
8th May 2004, 01:21 PM
http://www.ut2003files.com/info/TeamSymbols

The Rabbit!
22nd Oct 2004, 08:05 PM
Dun Dun Dah! Ok here we are, I got me an image, and followed the directions. So now how do I put em back in to the textures thingy?

The Rabbit! :)

EvilDrWong
23rd Oct 2004, 05:29 PM
Ok. You open up UED (unrealed.exe in your UT200*/System folder) and in the texture browser (the window that should be open already) use the File -> Import dialog to import your texture.
You need to give it a unique package name, such as TheRabbitEatsMyDooDoo. Group name isnt essential, but you might as well give it one to make yourself feel cool. Then of course, the texture name itself.
After you've got your texture showing in the texture browser, theres a step or two you'll need to take:
Right click on your texture and select Properties. Then open the [+Texture] submenu to make it turn into [-Texture]
You're going to want to change the LODSet property to LODSET_Interface (that will prevent your team symbol from getting all muddy at low detail settings) and change both the UClampMode and VClampMode properties to TC_Clamp (which will prevent it from tiling on surfaces its applied to)

After thats done, go ahead and save your new texture package and close UED. If it says that other packages have been changed, just click no every time. It lies.

Now you're gonna need to make an extra file so UT knows how to find your team symbol. fire up Notepad or something and throw this in

[Public]
Object=(Class=Texture,Name=YOURPACKAGE.GROUPNAME.TEXTURENAME,Description="")

(obviously replacing YOURPACKAGE, GROUPNAME, and TEXTURENAME with the ones you had used when you imported the texture)
Save it into your UT200*/System folder as a .int (turns out the TeamSymbol stuff only shows up in the cache manager cause its wrapped to a .int search :X)
So now you should end up with all of two files:
YourTeamSymbol.int in UT200*/System
YourTeamSymbol.utx in UT200*/Textures

You should be able to use the team symbol now all you want.

The Rabbit!
23rd Oct 2004, 10:58 PM
Ok lemme see if I can pull that off. Wish me luck. Lets see what does this button do? >>THIS COMPUTER WILL EXPLODE IN 10 SECONDS<< ARGH!

The Rabbit! :lol: