PDA

View Full Version : Map ideas

MechMantis
22nd Apr 2004, 09:46 PM
Well... after playing both FHINVs... I came up with a few map ideas...

1: Combat on a spacecraft. Nothing feels better then defending a ship against aliens
2: Construction facility. Maybe have a crane that can drop a steel beam on the poor, defencless monsters.
3: Medieval castle: What? Castles are cool!
4: Weapons Testing Facility. Maybe have a few new super weapons.

Artman40
23rd Apr 2004, 12:22 PM
Well, how about another mansion map. Mansion2 was low quality map, but you sometimes really HAD to pull back, which made this map quite tactical.
But new mansion map would have much higher quality. The combat would be only inside te mansion, but this mansion would have 8 floors, each floor four times as big as the Mansion2 floors and each floor contains few to several rooms. You start in 8th floor. The monsters are coming in from 4 entance doors in the lowest floor. You cannot exit the mansion because of the forcefield that blocks players from getting out.
Items are scattered across the map, strongest in the 2nd floor and the weakest in the 8th floor. (7th floor would have alot of health). The number of stair, which leads to the upper floors, would increase from the lower part of the mansion(4 stairs leading 1st floor to the 2nd floor and 1 stair leading from 7th floor to 8th floor). This map would have many secrets. This would be really cool.

P.S. Everytome I post something on the thread, it becomes dead.

Kaithofis
10th Jun 2004, 05:14 AM
P.S. Everytome I post something on the thread, it becomes dead.

Then I'll just use my REVIVE POTION
POOF!

Thread has full HP

OK, seriously now. How nice that you're posting map ideas like that, but there are only a handful of mappers to pick these up, and most of those are in the team, and working on their own projects... I think.

Though it'd be great if there'd be more mapping going on by different people for this mod, cause it seriously lacks outstanding maps. So why not view or a tutorial or so, and start constructing?
I you need help, there are LOTS of people who can help you (myself included), and face it, you maps doesn't have to be Aristocracy or a CBP2 map, just create a simple base, look for some appropriate statics, and you're mainly done. Really.
And the Mansion thing sounds like THE perfect training map, seriously.

Dr.Dillman
10th Jun 2004, 05:53 PM
I kinda thought, although it might not be an invasion type thing. That cops and robbers would be cool. You know like robbing a bank, or cops busting the asses of robbers holed up in the banks, etc.....i think that would be fun.

Kaithofis
10th Jun 2004, 06:06 PM
I kinda thought, although it might not be an invasion type thing. That cops and robbers would be cool. You know like robbing a bank, or cops busting the asses of robbers holed up in the banks, etc.....i think that would be fun.

Robbing a bank sounds more like an AS map, what is too hard to do for now.
Start with some custom maps, DM-SubstractedCube
then another one; DM-SubstractedCubeWithALightAndStatics
and the your third map; DM-Awesomenia!
Seriously though, start with cubes, substract some things out of the walls, experiment with statics, water, lava, you name it. You could PM me for anything, wether you need a certain type of static or Music.

Dark_Dust
13th Jun 2004, 12:03 PM
Mapping itself aint hard at all, but using Static meshes is another story. I find it myself sometimes hard to work with meshes.. lot's of packages, lot's of meshes..
if you look at existing maps and think all the meshes away (see in Ued) then you realise the actuall map is nothing more than added and substracted brushes, mostly square brushes. It's those meshes that make it looks cool and quite complicated.
And yes, experimenting with that is the best way. It's all a matter of trying lot's of meshes out, scale them if needed, get to know what package has what meshes..and such.
I'd hate to browser through dozen of packages just to find the mesh i want to use. I usually have 2 editors open and use one for opening other maps just to find that a nice looking mesh for my maps.
For me it's quicker that way, untill i am quite familiar with the static mesh package contents. I was getting familiar with the packages in UT2003, but have to start all over again in UT2004.. I wish there was some site who covers all type of meshes in every package, it would make it lot easier to work with. :(
I guess it's just a matter of time to get familair with the static mesh packages.. Oh well..

Anyway, those map idea's of you guys sounds cool to me and i think some of these can actually be made. ;)

ps. i hate the auto sign out feature of this system, i always copy my (big) post when i think this will happen.. just in case..and just did with this post.. sigh. :mad:

Dr.Dillman
14th Jun 2004, 07:49 AM
I am accually starting to catch on quite nicely. Im excited about the posibilities

Dr.Dillman
14th Jun 2004, 08:06 AM
Btw, i like that mansion idea. Will the floors and the monsters and what have you. I think that would be a fun one.

Artman40
29th Jun 2004, 05:26 AM
Now I have the idea for objective map.

Your objective is to drive the leviathan through the long valley and some large buildings. If leviathan dies, you lose, if you manage to drive to the other sde of the valley, you win. In some buildings there are closed doors. Some players have to abandon the leviathan for a minute to push the button that opens the door while other players stay in the leviathan. Some gates are in the outdoor places, too.

What do you think?