PDA

View Full Version : Combining Sources for Voice

RadioactiveDecay
21st Apr 2004, 01:35 PM
I'm trying to create one multiplayer map, 2 pawns (male,female) and voice chat. So far I have the map and the pawns which can run, walk, fly, text chat - all that good stuff.

At first I thought the URE2 would be perfect, only to find that the voice chat implimented in UT2004 is native to UT2004 and not included in the runtime. Not to be outdone, I created a voice chat server/client interface using the DirectX Managed SDK DirectPlay. This is written in C# but could easily be ported over to VC++ or VB.

My question is, how do I tie the DirectX voice component and UE together? I'm assuming there is some way to include components of DirectX in a UE application but I don't know how to do it.

Thanks!

HeadShooter
22nd Apr 2004, 08:21 AM
I'm trying to create one multiplayer map, 2 pawns (male,female) and voice chat. So far I have the map and the pawns which can run, walk, fly, text chat - all that good stuff.

At first I thought the URE2 would be perfect, only to find that the voice chat implimented in UT2004 is native to UT2004 and not included in the runtime. Not to be outdone, I created a voice chat server/client interface using the DirectX Managed SDK DirectPlay. This is written in C# but could easily be ported over to VC++ or VB.

My question is, how do I tie the DirectX voice component and UE together? I'm assuming there is some way to include components of DirectX in a UE application but I don't know how to do it.

Thanks!

Create a DLL with all your functions implemented.
To use them write UnrealScript as a header file and mark all functions as NATIVE.
For details take a look at: http://udn.epicgames.com/Technical/UnrealScriptReference

RadioactiveDecay
23rd Apr 2004, 10:35 AM
Create a DLL with all your functions implemented.
To use them write UnrealScript as a header file and mark all functions as NATIVE.
For details take a look at: http://udn.epicgames.com/Technical/UnrealScriptReference

Thanks headshooter for your response. I fear I may be in over my head on this one and I'm willing to admit defeat. Is there a standard method for getting in touch with a programmer that might be willing to work on this small but very rewarding and useful project? I don't want to step on anyone's toes by asking in the wrong forum.

Thanks.

RadioactiveDecay
24th Apr 2004, 02:12 AM
Thanks headshooter for your response. I fear I may be in over my head on this one and I'm willing to admit defeat. Is there a standard method for getting in touch with a programmer that might be willing to work on this small but very rewarding and useful project? I don't want to step on anyone's toes by asking in the wrong forum.

Thanks.

Okay, so almost 2 days later and maybe I can do this :lol:

I have compiled the code into a DLL.
In the documentation it says to call a function that is in a C++ DLL you should use syntax like this;

native(266) final function bool Move( vector Delta );

Then it says;

The number inside the parenthesis after the "native" keyword corresponds to the number of the function as it was declared in C++ (using the AUTOREGISTER_NATIVE macro).

This is where I'm stuck now. I can't find any reference to the AUTOREGISTER_NATIVE macro :(

Googled it, wiki'd it and forum searched it, all to no avail. Without knowing the reference number to the function in my DLL that I want to call, I can't call it from the script, right? I did compile the DLL natively but I still can't tell what reference numbers my functions were given. What is this mysterious macro of which the documentation spake?

TIA.

HeadShooter
26th Apr 2004, 04:34 AM
This is where I'm stuck now. I can't find any reference to the AUTOREGISTER_NATIVE macro :(

I think you should try to assign numbers to functions in "exports" section.
Or we should wait for Vito to explain us about AUTOREGISTER_NATIVE :))

Vito
27th Apr 2004, 06:09 PM
You need the headers to compile DLLs that UnrealEngine2 can use. See http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/RuntimeHeaders