Adjusting the Game Speed, for those of us over 30, 40, etc.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

stephen_casey_1964

Toy Sculptor
Apr 9, 2004
Tacoma WA, USA
I saw a post earlier tonight from another player rather unhappy as he ound it more and more difficult to play the game as his reflexes are not what they were when he was younger.

So I went searching for the source of the mutator that I use that slows all the action down to what my 40 years going on 60 year old reflexes can deal with.

Although I had no luck finding that source (searched for almost an hour,) I did find the programers console command that does the same thing. I jumped into my game and disabled the mutator I use and then compared the normal game with various settings of the console command. It works like a charm, and once set I did not need to change it between levels or after quiting and going into another map of the same game type. Heres the magic combination:

Start an Instant Action Game (May work with Single Player Campain, I haven't tried it.)

Press Esc to pause the action.
Press ~ (that is the carat key below and to the left of the Esc key.)
Then type in: slomo .1 (up to) 1.
slomo .1
(This would be 10% speed, I used 20% to grab some cool screen shots, the othernight.)
slomo 1.
(This is the default speed, 100%.)
slomo .8 or
slomo .9 ussually works just right for my fingers.
Don't forget the space between the word slomo and the number. The command needs it.
After typeing that in, press enter
Then press Esc twice, once to take you out of the console that you entered earlier in pressing the carat key, and press Esc a second time to bring on the action at the new pace.

I will be posting this as an individual thread as I suspect this will help a lot of people. UT 1999 had this feature built into the menus, UT 2004 should too in my opinion. I for one take a ton of medication to combat serious illness and there is absolutely no way I could play most of the time at the default settings. With such an adjustment I can play any game style in Instant Action, including Onslaught, in solo play and the bots usually put up a good fight.

Hope this helps you/or someone else.

Stephen_Casey_1964

stephen_casey_1964

Toy Sculptor
Apr 9, 2004
Tacoma WA, USA
Actually there is a significant percentage of the market the developers are shutting out by not making this openly and easily available to the public, even to the of mentioning "Adjustable Game Speed" on the box art.

Older gamers are a ever growing market as we picked up our habits and continue to game through the years. It is foolish to ignore them.

And very important is that there are a great many people struck with dibilitating illness of all ages, the teenagers as well. With MS and other deseases can be slow to run their course and there can be long periods of time that full mobility is available but slower to function.

Also an ever larger number of Americans are being medicated more heavily so there is a growing percentage of players that have reduced motor speed and accuracy that may change on a day to day basis, as medicine needs can change daily.

Some with mental illness such as myself have PRN medications as well, that is taken as needed, to adjust our medications to stay on an even keel.

So this is an issue of equal access to all players, and an issue of good long term business.

Slartoff

Death delights me. Slartoff!
Nov 1, 2003
NH
But do people really get that much slower as they age? I know plenty of people in their late 40s who play UT2k4. If they are having trouble keeping up with the speed of the game, at least in all the cases I've seen, it's because they have little experience with videogames in general, not because they have slower reflexes than me.

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
I can say, as a 30+ gamer, that playing the game actually helps keep my reflexes in good shape. Of course, I do play music so that also keeps me limber. So that's good news for you young'ens out there.

I do see the point of making the game accessible to everyone. But BE CAREFUL FOR THE LOVE OF PETE: if you're over 40 and even look at the box, you might have a heart attack!

DeDpoet|BuF

Only this, & nothing more...
Dec 6, 2001
Mularn
Visit site
stephen_casey_1964 said:
Also an ever larger number of Americans are being medicated more heavily so there is a growing percentage of players that have reduced motor speed and accuracy that may change on a day to day basis, as medicine needs can change daily.

i'm sorry, but this made me laugh.

there's that "game experience may change during online play" disclaimer...

how about "game experience may change during heavily medicated play?"

sorry if I offended.... ;)

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Not that my reflexes were ever l33t, but as I pass my prime, I find that some whippersnappers are pulling off moves I'm pretty sure will remain beyond my ability to improve. Guess I need to rely on strategery from here on out.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
HuggyBear said:
I do see the point of making the game accessible to everyone. But BE CAREFUL FOR THE LOVE OF PETE: if you're over 40 and even look at the box, you might have a heart attack!
:lol::tup: O<MG LEIK THIS GAME IS INTENSE!!! OH NOES HEART ATTACK! >_O

Seriously though, can't you set the game speed? :con: I remember in UT'99 the game speed was easily adjusted... I think as slow as 50% and as fast as 140% or 150%....

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
As the old addage goes: use it or lose it.

Brainpower goes further than reflexes anyway. I run into bunny-hopping dodgers all the time, and rather than get into a battle of reflexes, I just step back and feed them some flak.

I_LoveToKill

Danish Bastard!
Nov 11, 2001
Denmark
Uhm there is a mutator included with the game that allows you to alter the
gamespeed, no need for any tcc's, its called 'Gamespeed'

AMMAGETSVM

wild
Jun 5, 2001
brooklyn
Interesting thread, never considered this before.

I'll say this now for you young'uns in the house - make sure to take measures now that will keep complications from arising later on in life! Sure, it's a way off. But time got a way of creepin' on you.

BuzWeaver

n0 fUn 4 j00
Apr 17, 2004
Atlanta, GA - USA
I’m 36 and after a 4 ½ year hiatus of playing EQ I decided to get back into FPS’s, at least till EQII/WoW comes out. I had gotten Half-Life Blue Shift as a filler when I got my first major EQ burn out and it took me about 23 minutes to get readjusted to the FPS controls/key map.

I bought UT2004 Saturday I had little problem making the adjustments, the pace was amazing but I like it. I played the original UT back in 98 as well as Quake, its nice to be back playing FPS’s. The game speed is a bit of an adjustment but I see it having a positive affect on my reaction speed.

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
I can play XMP super fast as a ranger, but because of the gameplay flow I find I can take breaks inbetween the action so I can compose myself, in UT2004 I find the action to be constant and overbearing. I like to be able to control the pace of the game, not the game to control my pace.

BTW, I'm only 20, my prime was when I was 10 years old. I don't think I'll ever be as good a gamer as I was when I had my megadrive.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Yeah, Toss, after Battle School you're pretty burned out... [/Ender's Game reference]

Slartoff

Death delights me. Slartoff!
Nov 1, 2003
NH
\/\/0RF said:
Not that my reflexes were ever l33t, but as I pass my prime, I find that some whippersnappers are pulling off moves I'm pretty sure will remain beyond my ability to improve. Guess I need to rely on strategery from here on out.

Yeah, but you aren't a "college student who plays video games all day" either ;)
A 40-something-year-old called me that when I stomped him time after time :) As much as I deny it, there is some truth in it--younger guys usually spend more time playing video games in general than the "old" folks.

More practice = (usually) more skills