Community New Mappers Bonus Pack?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MKhaos7

Member of Clan |UED|
Apr 14, 2004
Brasil
Hellow There,

I´m new here at the BU forums, but I spend about a hour everyday browsing throw the BU web site, always with hot stuff about the U World.
I start digigng in the forums because i´m a n00b mapper trying to learn a thing or two watching the hundreds of VTMs that i got with UT2K4 SE, as thousands of others around the globe.

So I was thinking, with all this community made bonus packs (not specific the CBP, but also the BUFBP, the 1on1 map pack, and so on) i think that may be a good idea to present the community to it´s new mappers, with a "community new mappers bonus pack" , with maps of the guys that are just starting mapping thanks to the effort of Epic/Atari for bringing so many to us this time, and show that we are really using it!

So what do you guys think of this idea?

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Hey, as much as I think we should encourage new mappers to pursue doing it, what would be the point of displaying a map pack of maps that all suck? No offense, it's just that nobody makes a great map their first try.... or third.... or sixth. :p

But if you have a group of new mappers that want to get together and do this, by all means go for it. :)

MKhaos7

Member of Clan |UED|
Apr 14, 2004
Brasil
Hi Pinecony.

i know, that most of the maps that we we'll be doing will look like crap.
But once in a while there's allways a guy or to thar are naturally born to the thing, and will kick in right away!

And besides I've looked, in the 3DBuzz forum, some WIP of guys that just started with the VTMs and I must that they look pretty good!
Haven't had the opportunity to try then ingame yet, cuz I was away frm my computer the last couple of weeks.

But, I think that's woth a try. At least if we hang together we can learn a bit faster ;)

atropos

The One and Only
Aug 24, 2003
Belgium
I think it's a good idea, I just don't think a lot of people will download the map pack.
The standards for new maps are awfully high (the original UT2004 maps, 1on1 map pack, hopefully CBP2 and Euro CTF,...).
So it's hard enough to release 1 map that people will like to play, let alone a whole map pack made by people who don't have a lot of experience.

I think it's good that the new mappers want to help each other and grow together, but it's not very realistic to think that people will like the maps that you'll make.
I'm always sceptical to see a map at the INA-forums, or at Nalicity or UnrealPlayground, with the headline "my first map", because most of them aren't good.

If you really want to do it, for your enjoyment, I don't see what's holding you.
But you got to realize it's not going to be as popular as the rest, and it may be hard to push through, despite all the bad criticism from ppl.

Success! And Welcome at BuF.

BTW: It's not only the looks that matter. The map must be purdy, but if it hasn't got good gameplay, it isn't good. When you have a good sense of art, it's relatively easy to make good-looking maps, but gameplay is a lot harder to accomplish.