Problem with texturing a static mesh

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bryazon

Apr 13, 2004
Hi there,

I'm making a UT2003 map based loosely on stone henge (picture: http://www.websters-bed-breakfast.com/graphics/stonehenge.jpg) but I'm having problems texture mapping it. I've created the model in 3d studio 5 and after UVW mapping it in that program, it looks fine and textured properly. However, when I import it as a static mesh to UnrealEd and apply the same texture, it looks stretched and distorted. One of the stones on it's own however works perfectly.

I've tried several different methods of UVW mapping my model (shrinkwrapping, cylindrical, etc) and they have all looked fine in 3ds but have the same problem in UnrealEd. Can anyone recommend a method in which this is likely to work or do I have to put my stonehenge together a stone at a time using individual static meshes?

Any help appreciated.

CB

JonAzz

UA Mapper
Aug 1, 2003
North of Philadelphia
first off the models all have to be one big mesh, second off make sure you do collapse before you export, I had the same problem for the longest time. If you have any more problems let me know.

Unreal_LOGIC

Oct 29, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Since you say one of the stones looks fine after importing in to unrealed.
That stone should be the pattern you use in creating and texturing the rocks.

I would create all the rocks as seperate meshes.
Each rock should get uv map modifier
You can apply the uv map modifier to all of a rock or to a group of the polygons if you desire several textures on the stone.
I generally will expand the modifier in the stack and select the gizmo.
You can then apply move, scale, and rotation to the gizmo.
These changes in the gizmo will be reflected in how the textures are displayed on the rock or polygons.
Prior to export I would select the mesh and move it to the x,y,z =0,0,0
You can create a mesh that will be recognized by unrealed as the blocking volume.
e.g give you rock mesh the name rock01 and the blocking volume the name MCDCX_rock01
When you export the rock01 select both the mesh and its blocking volume mesh.
Then export as ASCII
You should now have nice clean textures on your rocks and a blocking volume when you import into unrealed !
:)

Bryazon

Apr 13, 2004
Hugely helpful, thanks a lot! :) Problem now solved

CB

Unreal_LOGIC said:
Since you say one of the stones looks fine after importing in to unrealed.
That stone should be the pattern you use in creating and texturing the rocks.

I would create all the rocks as seperate meshes.
Each rock should get uv map modifier
You can apply the uv map modifier to all of a rock or to a group of the polygons if you desire several textures on the stone.
I generally will expand the modifier in the stack and select the gizmo.
You can then apply move, scale, and rotation to the gizmo.
These changes in the gizmo will be reflected in how the textures are displayed on the rock or polygons.
Prior to export I would select the mesh and move it to the x,y,z =0,0,0
You can create a mesh that will be recognized by unrealed as the blocking volume.
e.g give you rock mesh the name rock01 and the blocking volume the name MCDCX_rock01
When you export the rock01 select both the mesh and its blocking volume mesh.
Then export as ASCII
You should now have nice clean textures on your rocks and a blocking volume when you import into unrealed !
:)