Skinning

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DaKas

Apr 12, 2004
How do you skin? I've been trying to learn. I have freehand experience,from modding Warcraft III, with Photoshop7. Whats a texture/m0del package?

And Warcraft art is so horrible compared to FPS' because Warcraft m0dels, if exceed 1k polys lag, lol.

But anyways, can anyone guide me, or link me a tutorial?

OY...that's a BIG question?

DaKas said:
How do you skin? I've been trying to learn. I have freehand experience,from modding Warcraft III, with Photoshop7. Whats a texture/m0del package?

And Warcraft art is so horrible compared to FPS' because Warcraft m0dels, if exceed 1k polys lag, lol.

But anyways, can anyone guide me, or link me a tutorial?

AS SHORT AS I CAN SAY IT...

1. Put in ye olde UT2004 play disk.
2. "MY COMPUTER"....UT2004 (right click)...."Explore"
3. double click "extras" NOTE: UPaint and SkinArt
4. Setup UPaint (easy to use)
5. Go to SkinArt to "grab" (right click..."open with") original skins (in texture folder)...open with Photoshop7...I use Paintshop Pro, but use whatever you're comfortable with.
6. Edit as you please
7. Save in a file in a convenient location.
8. Open original model with UPaint and import your skin onto the model
9. save with cool new name like "Purple Nurple"
10. Export the new character to Unreal

TIP: browse the internet for textures of metal, plastic, skin, etc. before you begin (you might even use your own photos)...These will come in handy with the clone brush feature. Challenge yourself to leave as little of the original skin as possible. If you have the juice, you can make a skin completely from scratch, but I recomend baby-steps....futz around with a familiar skin first and figure things out before you take on the huge challenge that will eventually lead to many a sleepless night...looking for just the right leather texture for those cool purple boots....good luck... ;)

DaKas

Apr 12, 2004
There's no "/extras" in my local ut2k4 directory. I didnt get the extra version. i got standard ut