Question about skeletons

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sengoku

Apr 9, 2004
www.digitalunity.net
As im new to this whole modeling stuff ive got a question about skeletons. Ive built my model and its skeleton, anims etc. but im thinking of just changing over the skeleton to a normal ut one for easiness to start off with. Coz ive built the model i cant move the arms of it into the same position as the default human male skeleton without it distorting badly, so my question is this:

Can i move the joints of the default skeleton to fit my model and will doing so affect all the anims for it? Any way around it if it does affect them? Oh one other thing...do skeletons in ut need to have that thumb bone on the right hand? Is that something to do with the models or the weapons?

Cheers,

Sen

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I have no experience of skeletal animation/modelling with UT, but do with other game engines.

I would think that you will be ok to move the UT skeleton within whatever modelling program you are using. The main thing is the actual structure, rather than position - do not rename or add/delete any bones and you should be fine, you might even be ok 'stretching' the bones if they don't quite fit your mesh, but don't quote me on that! (May cause some odd animations) I'm not sure what the thumb bone is for but I wouldn't delete it ;) Probably a weapon attach node or something. At the end of the day your mesh will deform either way - whether you deform it to fit the skeleton or the game deforms it when it plays the animations. Personally I'd go for the option you say - adjust the skeleton to fit the model - it's much easier to adjust the position of bones than adjust your mesh to fit them :)

Hope this helps!