BU Reviews: UT2004

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

QAPete

Chief Muckety Muck
Aug 17, 1999
Pottstown, PA, USA
www.beyondunreal.com
Bumped from last night...

We've taken our time, played through the game many times, and have come out with our group review of Unreal Tournament 2004. Raffi_B, hal, RaptoR, Sparky, Prophetus and I have posted some of our comments about the game, along with 31 staggeringly-good hi-res screenshots that we think you'll love. Here's a snip:

You really can't say enough about this massive package that Epic, Digital Extremes, Psyonix, Streamline Studios, and the massive number of community mappers have put together. It will take you hours just to look through the entire game and countless days, weeks, months, and years to enjoy it. The singleplayer game this time around has some real meat to it. The team selection process and prize purse/betting additions really make the game shine offline as well. Even budding content creators can take advantage of the massive online resources to Make Something Unreal... and maybe win a few nice prizes in the process. It's a good time to be a part of the Tournament.

Ok then, read the entire review!

Update: We've also compiled a page of high-quality screenshots from the review and put it up over here.

PainAmplifier

Evil by Example
Eh, a fair review. It does tend to ramble a bit, but you do at least address some of the pros and cons relating to the UT>UT2003 debate and how they apply to UT2004 as well as the basic look/feel/playability.

Still allow me to provide some fuel for "Review 2.0: The second look." (I'll try not to fall into "Flamewar: DCXXVIII" territory, but people will see what they want too.)

Flak Cannon (Primary) = The new spam. Just sit back from long range and fire away....the UT Flak had a very short 'spamable' range, but the UT2k version has such long range that you can now spam damn near across any map. The Onslaught/Assualt maps make this very obvious, while it wasn't that big of a problem in the crappy 2k3 maps.

Scaling/Viewing still off: It seems the solution for the UT2k3 tiny maps problem was to just shrink the player and not make the maps bigger. There were some other adjustments made to be sure, but the end feeling is that everything is smaller than it should be. (Maybe I'm just spoiled by UT...)

Team Skins. Still a big nasty problem with many skins being almost impossible to identify in many situations. How UT can get this so right and UT2k3/UT2k4 get this so wrong is a mystery to me. I know many people dis this argument as whining...but then again they dissed many of the UT2k3 complaints and we know how popular ut2k3 ended up.

Weapon balance. Changes were made that helped some of the weapon balance compared to UT2k3...but I cannot help but feel that they still haven't gotten this right. Eg. Many people (like in this review) say that they like the Sniper in UT2k4....excepting those who actually liked the UT version of the thing. After playing with it, I come to realize that it is pretty much just a lightningless Lightning Gun. Different graphics but same effects. (I like the sounds for it better though.)

Ammo/Health. I'd like to know where it is! Just about every map is almost completely empty of any ammo or health...and it doesn't respawn fast enough to be of much use if there is any. Worse problem is on the onslaught maps...it's almost better to suicide than it is to bother with trying to resupply. The green light may be lit, but I am not getting crap for more ammo even if I am completely empty. (And yet you have enough AVRiL ammo to outfit ten teams at once in every map.)

Adrenaline...it's still there....and so are the stupid combos to activate them.

I could go on with much more, but in essense I think I can boil everything down to one sentence that covers pretty much why UT2k4 is actually popular compared to UT2k3:

"Onslaught and Assault are damn fun, even if everything else carried over from UT2k3 still sucks donkey balls." ...I think the #of servers based on gametype is enough justification for this statement... :eek:

QAPete

Chief Muckety Muck
Aug 17, 1999
Pottstown, PA, USA
www.beyondunreal.com
I know it rambles a bit, but it's because we posted the full comments of a bunch of different people, hence, some repetition.

Some good points in your comments. The skins issue is real, and to me, it's because of the model scale. I'm also not a fan of Adrenaline, especially when a map author finds it necessary to load up on it. I also don't think Adrenaline should be used at all on 1v1 maps, but thankfully, we have a mutator to cover that.

Onslaught is TEH SHIOT, of course. People who liked Assault will like UT2004's variant of it better. The maps are killer, and the changes are needed and helpful.

Any other comments on the game or our review? Post, dammit!

Pete
-BeyondUnreal

Zenny

I'm gonna steal your girlfriend.
Mar 14, 2003
Washington DC
I don't have the game yet, but after seeing those screenshots, I think I'm qualified to say that this game is significantly better then last year's offering.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Onslaught is new, and has vehicles. People like new things, especially if those new things have vehicles. :)

The real test for ONS will come in 6 months time. Will there still be as many ONS servers? Will the other gametypes gain more servers? Only time will tell. I play for Ci's Euro ONS squad, and there's more to ONS than just big terrain maps and vehicles. You need solid tactics and strategies to do well in competitive ONS play.

Moving on, I think UT2004 is the best environment for 1v1 play today. Sure, Quake 3, and Quake 1 before it had DM down (Q2's DM never did anything for me, although Q2CTF rocked), but I've been playing lots of 2k4 1v1 and it just plain rocks. The 1v1 maps (especially DM-1on1-Spirit) kick multiple shades of ass, and maps like Gestalt, Oceanic and Deck17 feel great to play in 2k4. I was never into 1v1 in the UT and UT2003 days, but 2k4 has roped me in for some reason and I don't plan on cutting out anytime soon.

UT2004 also supports seperate mod dirs, rather than chucking everything into the base dirs and mixing it all up. Games like Quake have had this for ages, and it's good to see the UT series including it at last. I hope mod makers will use this, because it'd be rude not to. :)

UT2004 is also spawning sub-genres such as stunting, which I also play a lot of and without 2k4's out-of-the-box and immediate vehicle support wouldn't have happened (or have happened as fast as it did).

Overall, I think UT2004 is fun. I've played more of it in two months (demo, then retail) than UT2003 over the last year.