CTF 16

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I want to hear everyone's opinons on the new CTF 16 player maps. Too big? Too small?

Here are my opinions:

Darji 16- One big Mutha-of-a-map. Confusing as hell. Llllooooots of places to hide. Plenty of egress/regress points. Sniping. The flag room kinda sucks. Cool little laser thingies.

Hydro 16- Face with big forts. It's not a classic.

Noxion 16 Very tight battle space. Plenty of twists and turns but it just feels too small for a good 8 on 8.

It's a toss up for me. Hydro is a nice size for 10 but is sort of linear. Not big enough for 16 and some breathing room. (Unless you're one of those 32 player Niven lovers!)

Noxion is a really cool map but the tight spaces make it better for 10 players or less.

Darji is the only one that is really big enough IMO.

Great professional quality and cool ideas...but I haven't warmed up to them yet or something. What do you think? Rooster, I know you have an opinion!

------------------
Yes, I know I'm full of $I-IiT - but I'm Godlike dammit!

hal{PuF}

[This message has been edited by hal (edited 02-28-2000).]

I think hydro is only good with around 5/team. It's too easy to defend with the sniper spots and the many areas where defenders (and there will be a lot woth 16 people) can just combo their entrance and exits.

bullet2.gif

The Monkeys are ruining my concentration by punching each other in the genitals. I tried to stop them, but they just punched me in the genitals. At first it was funny, but now it's just annoying.

BeZerKeR

Feb 12, 2000
hometown.aol.com
The new CTF maps have made me a fan. I used to like Dm the best but i find myself goin to the CTF servers more now cuz of the big maps. It's cool cuz you can actually form big defense and strike teams, and I think it inspires more communication between team members.

bullet2.gif

"Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows...
...nor do I"
"BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!"

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
I'll be reviewing Hydro for Capture. One thing I will say now though is that the sniper nests next to the bridges are way too easy to defend if the server has the TL turned off. On Friday night I was playing with a few other PuF on NCME (which had the TL off) and this guy basically just stood over the lift and kept firing flak bombs down.

bullet2.gif

Turn it on. Turn it on, turn it on again. - Genesis.

Slayer[FOR]

Feb 28, 2000
Madison
Visit site
I have tried those maps, and me and my friends have mixed reviews. I do feel that the number of people per level would have to be up to the host and the players, and also the how many the server can handle.

As long as there is a will there is a way. I haven't found a map yet where it is totally impossible to get somewhere. I played November the other day with the mod that gives you redeemers..I thought it would be impossible to get the red flag with multiple redeemers flying around. But after 30 minutes the blue team won 3 to 0. So I will not believe in a perfectly defended position.

"A true friend will shoot you in the front!!"

Voyd-

Nov 24, 1999
Visit site
i seriously dont beleive in this "16 player for optimal enjoyment" thing with these maps. i actually did play a long series of 8on8 games in all these new maps and the only one which has enough room is Darji. hydro and noxion are better with 6on6 max.

now im not the biggest ctf player, but i will admit that i have been been playing alot more ctf ever since the night the bonus pack was released. i dunno, i just like those new maps a alot.

hydro: the bomb! this is the sole reason ive been playing ctf lately. symmetrical, as a ctf map should be, and just the right size. sniping room in the middle, and intense fighting inside. oh baby, this map kicks serious a$$.

noxion: very nice. i like it alot. player count should be lessened tho becuase the flag area is very easy to defend with just 2 guys there, even 1 can do the job. especially with he ability to trans up to the ledges. overall nice map with alot of attack points.

darji: ƒuckin huge. in every game ive played in it so far everyone seemed lost and bewildered. a map shouldnt do this to anyone. sure you wont know every knook and cranny right away but u should be able to find your way around pretty fast. i actually followed a flag carrier for 5 minutes and all he ended up doing was going right back to enemy base. totally lost LOL! /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

this map has a grandios feeling to it which i dig on very much. i like the idea of being able to take many many routes to reach the base. unfortunately the above mentioned hugeness and tendancy to get complicated for most people will give this map less airtime imho

ctf-cybrosis: not bad yet not that good. its too easy to clog up the main entry point into the base and the damage amp RIGHT beside the flag is kinda rediculous. this maps DM counterpart is much better i find.

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Of course hal! /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

As I've only played them about 3 times each. I don't have a very solid opinion yet.

Things I've noticed overall though.

I love the big maps. Quite a few of us PUF'ers played on the Nali East server the first night these were out and had a blast - I think someone got bored though - C?

If you don't have a TNT2/V3/GeForce or Celeron over 500 - they're gonna hurt. They lag both my wife's and my friends computers (TNT, Celeron 450's - Friend has 128MB, wife has 160MB).

I agree - the flag room on one of the maps kinda sucks (has the little L shape platform).

I believe it's Hydro - with the large bunkers covering the two bridges across the goop... You really have to have the xloc enabled - it seems it was designed for it - given the placement of the minigun in the flag rooms.

Darji - is that the one with the hujäss (my new word) spiral ramp (ok, it's a square, but you know what I mean) rooms that go from the bottom level to the top? - I REALLY like this map. Cept I think there's a bug in one of the pillars, cause it's not the same on the other side... makes for the perfect hiding spot when you have the flag.

Last note - I love these maps with at least 16 people on a side.

See, I'm not a big fan of the overcrowding on Niven or Dreary, or Gauntlet, but dammit, the admins don't limit the peeps. So I end up playing those maps with 2x as many people as they should. I've gotten used to it. So when a big maps like these come along - it's like "Woo hoo!" or "w00t!" for you kewld00ds. Now these servers can run 32-40 people. (course they can't usually handle that much required bandwidth so it gets laggy when they try)

That's all for now. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me." ~ Robert A. Heinlein
nguid:453406

[This message has been edited by Rooster (edited 02-29-2000).]

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I totally forgot about CTF Cybrosis! Yeah, what the hell is that? I like the original DM map pretty well...but of all the Unreal maps to convert to CTF I sure wouldn't have picked this one. It's neat the way they rearranged it and tacked on a cloned map to serve as a second base....but it just doesn't work very well. The middle is very awkward and like you said...damage amp + flag = uh uh.

After playing a bit more and hearing the comments from Voyd and Rooster I really don't care for Darji. It is just a maze map. I don't feel that individuality that I get when I play November or LavaGiant ...or hell(!) even Dreary.

Noxion stands out to me as the clear winner of the group. I think in the long run people will like Hydro better because of the symetry and simplicity.

Surely there was a better original map to choose to convert....maybe DM-Letting?

bullet2.gif

Yes, I know I'm full of $I-IiT - but I'm Godlike dammit!

hal{PuF}

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
I think by now you all know how I like my maps. BIG! This is a very happy and fun change for me

bullet2.gif

---Prof. Of Comic-Therory/Comedic-History
Ronnie Mervus will pay for his crimes!!!!
George Lucas, Give us Star Wars DVD! Or I swear I'll kill every ewok there is!!!

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
I think by now you all know how I like my maps. BIG! This is a very happy and fun change for me

bullet2.gif

---Prof. Of Comic-Therory/Comedic-History
Ronnie Mervus will pay for his crimes!!!!
George Lucas, Give us Star Wars DVD! Or I swear I'll kill every ewok there is!!!