PDA

View Full Version : DM-TheCore UT2004 Download & Screenshots

barballs
8th Apr 2004, 06:13 AM
Hey all,

Its been WAY too long since my last post related to this map but an unfortunate illness prevented me
getting it finished for a long time. So without further time lost I present to you the final beta of
DM-1on1-TheCore for UT2004!

:: link removed :: (see below)

Screenshots of the map

The core
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~barballs/images/DM_proving/full/dm-proving-64.jpg
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~barballs/images/DM_proving/full/dm-proving-68.jpg
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~barballs/images/DM_proving/full/dm-proving-65.jpg

Secondary Arena (rocket room)
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~barballs/images/DM_proving/full/dm-proving-61.jpg

Link room
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~barballs/images/DM_proving/full/dm-proving-55.jpg

The east stairwell
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~barballs/images/DM_proving/full/dm-proving-59.jpg

The west stairwell
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~barballs/images/DM_proving/full/dm-proving-58.jpg

I hope you will download and point out anything you notice thats not right or you believe should fit in. Thanks!

Mas
8th Apr 2004, 11:36 AM
Downloading it now, looks liek some cool **** :)

Mas
8th Apr 2004, 12:17 PM
Just tested it, i like it so far, just got some minor points.

I had some porblems with the jumpads not going far enough, just add a bit more height to them and they should be ok. Add some cool music for the final version.

Daedalus
8th Apr 2004, 01:09 PM
Alright well I downloaded it and lets see...

What's Done Correctly:
Decent Layout
Pretty Good Lighting
Weapon placement is pretty good

What's Not Done Correctly:
No bot pathing
Some ugly unfitting textures
Static meshes that arent changed in texture at all
Jump pads that dont direct you anywhere
Kind of cramped at times
some textues and things that are used just dont belong at all
some bad lighting at times

Definitely needs some help. But it's just a beta or so the file says so perhaps there is still time.

barballs
8th Apr 2004, 01:22 PM
Thank you Mas,
I never noticed that. The pads seem to go where they are supposed to but I will chek it out and thank you for you view.

As I said in the readme I've got a choice of 2 tracks for it but i'm not sure which to put in. yet. I suppose i'll put it to the audience:

Rock (marylin manson style) or Dance(paul oakenfold style)??

Let me kow people! :)

barballs
8th Apr 2004, 01:36 PM
What's Done Correctly:
Decent Layout
Pretty Good Lighting
Weapon placement is pretty good

Atleast there are a few things left to worry about.

What's Not Done Correctly:
No bot pathing
OK there was a SH*T load of bot pathing done. Apples and junk all over the place! Must have messed up the compile process. Were the bots just standing still or what?

Some ugly unfitting textures
Yeah in the room with the rocket I think I need to redo some of the textures there.

Static meshes that arent changed in texture at all
I dont understand what you mean here. As in i didnt put my own txture over it or what?

Jump pads that dont direct you anywhere
this is again to do with the bot problem. will have a look at that again.
This was noticed by Mas too.

Kind of cramped at times
Where specifically is cramped? but i want some tight areas for choak points etc.

some textues and things that are used just dont belong at all
Which textures dont belong? I hope you dont mean the tiles? I worked hard on them :)

some bad lighting at times
Is that the rocke room again or elsewhere?

Definitely needs some help. But it's just a beta or so the file says so perhaps there is still time.

Seriously, thank you for all of that! You have beena great help. If you or anyone can elaborate on the questions I asked please do so. I would like this map to succeed and have along life!! It has the potential. I dont what it being held back by me! ;) Thanx Daedalus.

Daedalus
8th Apr 2004, 03:34 PM
well with the static meshes, they used the default textures. You can change the textures by adding skins (Properties->Display->Skins, then click add) Some of the default texturing on the meshes looks out of place ( I especially noticed the railing in places)

Some textures (there's one where a texture was used for the walls AND the floor and I think the ceiling so that's not good.

Some lighting was way too dark and at times a bit boring. Good work with the purple though.

About the bots, no idea why but they just did kind of stand around crouching, which is what they do when there is no botpathing. Are you sure you defined paths n stuff? You should check to make sure the paths work.

Cramped: The upper part where there is railing, some of the stairs. Only a few spots and it's usually pretty good about that.

Good luck with this map dude :) I need to get back to working on mine :)

barballs
8th Apr 2004, 04:25 PM
The static mesh skinning I was aware of. I'll have a look if I see any textures that appeal to me.

Having the same texture on ceiling, floor and walls is a bad idea and thanks for that.
I remember where I have done that and will promptly fix that.

Will have a look at the lighting and try mak it more interesting. Yeah the purple was
just a "by the way" kinda thing that I ended up sticking with and thus turned out sweet!

I am SURE that I put the paths in but I didn't re-compile the reachspaces so thats why they just went "Duh!" I'll fix that sharpish!

Good luck with this map dude I need to get back to working on mine :)

Thank you and if you need testers for your's don't hesitate to send it my way! You have been a good help!

Will let you know once I've that stuff changed!

Gui
9th Apr 2004, 01:41 PM
I agree with the majority of Daedalus' points. As for texturing, I'd recommend you take a close look to DM-Phobos2 stuff: there's some interesting things in this map and Inoxx's work may give you some ideas. As a general rule, I'd recommend you put more variety in your texture usage. Lighting's a bit bland IMO: more colors may be welcome but try to avoid the Las Vegas effect in putting too much different colors in the same location, something like 3 different colors is usually enough with maybe a 4th one in very located areas to make them stand up, but attempt to use a same scheme all along the map to keep some consistency...

The rusted metal steps for some stairs are not very welcome IMO, they look more industrial than futuristic. Same problem for the metal barrier around the Super-shield. The broken tiles feature doesn't look very futuristic neither and should be removed IMO: sorry for the time you spent on this, man. Jumppads should be more integrated into the environment: for now, they simply look like they're put a bit into the the middle of nothing, they're not connected with their surroundings though high-tech settings usually look better when the various decorations are 'blended' the ones with the others... Some door frame static meshes may be helpful to give more depth to the various passages

Overally, layout's cool with rather nice connectivity and z-axis as well as some trick opportunities, maybe it's slightly too much symmetrical though and, like Daedalus said, a bit cramped in some places but I don't think it's a real issue... IMO, main problem of your map is more related to visuals than gameplay :)

Blueyes
12th Apr 2004, 11:47 AM
Listen carefully to GUI "ze master" comments dude, they are priceless! :D

Gui
12th Apr 2004, 02:04 PM
He he, thx for the pimapge, man ^^

Wassup btw? Any new map in the making? :)

barballs
12th Apr 2004, 02:28 PM
Gui NEEDs no pimpage! LOL the guy is pure unreal Talent! DM-Ilarnek all the way man! ;)

On a more map related note. The desired theme was MENT to be an ancient reactor which was bought by Liandri Corp. to be used as one of the training grounds for new recruits. The core was repaired and activated to power the lights in the place and offer a little excitement to the matches.

So the choice arrises here: should i just make the map all modern and futuristic OR should I go rusted and decrepid?

Will work on the lighting and more texturing. With regards to phobos2, there is something about that level i dont like. It doesnt feel right. And the last think i want is a phobos clone. Will have a look at it all the same, after all I am the inexperienced one! ;)

I had an idea that I thought of last nite. What do you think: Makelarge windows in the walls of the main arena and have the level set on a moon with low grav. The core itself would be more of a threat and makes for more Z-axis. Just an idea :)

Blueyes
12th Apr 2004, 03:44 PM
He he, thx for the pimapge, man ^^

Wassup btw? Any new map in the making? :)

:) well, i'm working on a UT map atm just too sharpen my rusted skills...dunno if i will release it one day though... :rolleyes:

i'm gonna get UT2k4 soon, i heard that every aspect of the game is much better than UT2k3, is it the case for the editor?

:cheers:

Gui
13th Apr 2004, 08:24 AM
Good news: don't hesitate to post some screens in our playtesting forum ;)

UT2Kx editor is not really better than the one for UT99: both have their strong points and their weak ones, as usual you'll have to learn to play with them... :p

SkaarjMaster
16th Apr 2004, 12:52 PM
Rock, no dance!

barballs
18th Apr 2004, 07:46 AM
Firstly, hope y'all had a great easter! (for those that celebrate it!)

Rock, no dance!

LOL, the grand total of my poll: 1! The vote is unanimous! Rock shall be the music for the level!

Oh I have addressed may of those changes suggested:

-> After a proper compile, bots now move ;) (That was embarrassing!)
-> Re-texturization of the level.
-> Modest light changes
-> Effort to incorperate on of the jumppads in to the level more.
-> Theme change for better visual. Mainly removal of rusted meshes

Again feedback is much appreciated. Core is almost there. Help her cross the finish line! ;)

Daedalus
18th Apr 2004, 08:15 AM
Firstly, hope y'all had a great easter! (for those that celebrate it!)

LOL, the grand total of my poll: 1! The vote is unanimous! Rock shall be the music for the level!

Oh I have addressed may of those changes suggested:

-> After a proper compile, bots now move ;) (That was embarrassing!)
-> Re-texturization of the level.
-> Modest light changes
-> Effort to incorperate on of the jumppads in to the level more.
-> Theme change for better visual. Mainly removal of rusted meshes

Download Beta 2 Here (http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~barballs/files/DM-beta2-thecore.rar)

Again feedback is much appreciated. Core is almost there. Help her cross the finish line! ;)

clicked it and got:

Access Forbidden

You don't have permission to access the requested object. It is either read-protected or not readable by the server.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

:( I want to try it out!

barballs
18th Apr 2004, 08:50 AM
fixed! Thanx for that!
I forgot the permissions (damn unix)

Daedalus
18th Apr 2004, 10:02 AM
well this version was certainly much improved. The fences around the core and everything are appropriately textures and basically everything is a bit more polished, very fun to play too. Three other points to make though

1. One of those ledges that you have to strafe-dodge to get to has only a LG pickup on it. Kind of useless to just have that there imo.

2. There is still 1 room with all one texture texturing (see screen)

3. Some optimization required around the core. Frames were dropping like crazy a few times on my machine (Athlon XP 2600+, 512MB of RAM, Radeon 9700 Pro)

Other than that, the jumppads now work properly, the bots work properly, lighting appeared a bit better and it's fun to play! good work!

barballs
18th Apr 2004, 10:30 AM
1. One of those ledges that you have to strafe-dodge to get to has only a LG pickup on it. Kind of useless to just have that there imo.

Hmmm I may put the lightening gun on the ledge (cruel I know but anyone who plays will definatly get it) and have the adrenaline on the main part then.

2. There is still 1 room with all one texture texturing (see screen)

Yes that is the room I haven't touched yet. It needs to be fleshed out before I decide what textures to give it.

3. Some optimization required around the core. Frames were dropping like crazy a few times on my machine (Athlon XP 2600+, 512MB of RAM, Radeon 9700 Pro)

Well I did have that optimized WAY back for the UT2003 version. Will get on it again. Cool! the only spec differences in our PCs are processor, P4 266;)

Other than that, the jumppads now work properly, the bots work properly, lighting appeared a bit better and it's fun to play! good work!

Thank you for the kind words :D

barballs
19th Apr 2004, 03:34 AM
Well I've just updated the main post with new improved screenshots. The last beta is also ready for download.

Updates include:

-> Modification to the lightening gun placement and adrenaline on the east stairwell
-> FINALLY designed the bland link gun room. (see screens below) Hope you like the new one!

If all is now approved then the final optimizations for saving frames around the core will be done for the release build! Am so chuffed that the level has come this far! Finish line is definatly in full view this time! :)

Gui
19th Apr 2004, 07:37 PM
Latest changes are pretty good, particularly the location of the Link Gun: some nice shadow effects for a cool atmosphere :)

I'd recommend to use a light source to lit the Lightning Gun and the Amp from above for example: a lightcone effect may be welcome, such as the one described in this DavidM's tut (http://www.planetunreal.com/teamvortex/davidm/lighting3.html). Similar suggestion for the locations below these items which are a bit too much dark too...

Did you give a try to some of the alternate skins available into the ShiptechHardware.utx package for your static meshes? Some of the ones available in there can replace the default skins: just locate the texs which have the same name than the static mesh and use the Static Mesh Properties -> Display -> Skin feature to 'add' a line where you'll be able to assign the selected skin. It may be worth it :)

Daedalus
19th Apr 2004, 08:27 PM
all I can say about the LG room is "Thats the SAME ROOM?!" Seriously MUCH improved! Nice work! The map is certainly a lot of fun with good flow. Nice work thus far dude. Oh as for music, use something from UT, saves filesize.

barballs
20th Apr 2004, 03:10 AM
all I can say about the LG room is "Thats the SAME ROOM?!" Seriously MUCH improved! Nice work! The map is certainly a lot of fun with good flow. Nice work thus far dude.
Yeah it took about 3 hours to do on Sunday night/Monday moning do make that. :) I have to say I was well happy with it!
With regards to optimization the core has been FULLY zoned and DTX1 compressed. At time of testing the lowest fps I got was 72.

I'd recommend to use a light source to lit the Lightning Gun and the Amp from above for example: a lightcone effect may be welcome, such as the one described in this DavidM's tut (http://www.planetunreal.com/teamvortex/davidm/lighting3.html). Similar suggestion for the locations below these items which are a bit too much dark too...
A good idea that! Something I completely forgot about! Will get that done tonight :)

Did you give a try to some of the alternate skins available into the ShiptechHardware.utx package for your static meshes?
Yes I did and it was a disaster. I NEVER worked right. the textures didnt map properly and when they did they never covered the whole mesh. I then tried adding multiple skins with same texture with no joy there either.

Some of the ones available in there can replace the default skins. It may be worth it :)
Yeah I would be great if it had actually worked! :( I'll give it another try when I am doing the lights above Lightening and Flak. Not holding out much hope tbh.

Gui
20th Apr 2004, 07:37 AM
This alternate skin thing can be tricky the first time but it's easier than it seems, believe me :)

For example, in my DM-CBP-Finale, I assigned the DoorTrim01CSs shader to the UV2Texture of the DoorTrim01CS door static mesh. For the Hall04CS pillar-like wallpannel, I used the Hall04CS texture as a UV2Texture aswell. Instead of using them as a UV2Texture, you can use them as an alternate skin if you wish: all depends of the effect you look for :)

Take a closer look to my map and you'll get it, it's simple :)

barballs
20th Apr 2004, 09:55 AM
cool, thanks! Will do that when I get home!

(stays up till 3am)

Well alternative skinning is indeed easy once you change a variable from UV_materialTexture
to UVM_Map. So I went about the level changing the textures and I have to say you were right
on the money with that suggestion! Thanks Gui!

I've re-done lighting and adding in those light fixtures about the level. The level is
now looking sweet as pie! I know I'm biased but if I don't pimp the map who will?? :D

Still a go for Friday release :)

barballs
21st Apr 2004, 08:06 AM
As I said above, the skinning worked a treat. (see first screenie below)

I also re-built the lighting (next three screens)

Gui
21st Apr 2004, 08:23 AM
It indeed looks better. A couple of notes though:

- first screen: be carefull with the corona, it should be closer from the light source, it looks like floating under the lamp atm...
- last screen: beware these greenish effects like on the ground below the lamp, it happens when the amount of brightness which hits a surface is too much high and looks definitely wrong

Keep up the good work :tup:

barballs
22nd Apr 2004, 01:56 AM
I noticed the last screen alright and its been changed already.
The first screen's corona, however, I completley missed! :) Oopsie

After a quick revision and compile tonight, DM-1on1-TheCore will be ready to be released! YAY!

Mas
22nd Apr 2004, 05:56 AM
Its looking good mate, i cant wait to own u on it ;)

barballs
23rd Apr 2004, 02:02 AM
lol like hell ya will!

Well folks its FINALLY done! As I type it is being uploaded to my site! :)
I hope you all enjoy playing it! Thank you som much for all your support and help!!

Now its on to the next map! :D .... After a month of catch up sleep!

DM-1on1-TheCore's homepage (http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~barballs/maps.php)

BobTheDog
28th Apr 2004, 10:06 AM
Looks pretty cool. I like the abundance of shadows in some areas. Can't wait to test this map ^_^

barballs
29th Apr 2004, 02:24 AM
don't forget to let me know what you think of the game play! :)

BobTheDog
1st May 2004, 01:33 AM
Pretty fun map ^_^ Plenty of places to go, but you never get lost, so bonus points for good layout.

IMHO the ion stream should skeletonize you, but I'm just being picky.

Corion
1st May 2004, 07:58 AM
Pretty fun map ^_^ Plenty of places to go, but you never get lost, so bonus points for good layout.

IMHO the ion stream should skeletonize you, but I'm just being picky.

Yeah, if you haven't already, use the Ion Cannon damage type :0)

barballs
1st May 2004, 11:33 AM
Two things, or one depending how you look at it, that I completely over looked :) and will be added in at some point with the next revision.