PDA

View Full Version : Hello and a question

Snoitkever
31st Mar 2004, 04:36 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum.
I'm studying to become a software engineer, and I'm sort of putting my skill to the test by working on the basics of a RPG game (walking, inventory, talking, etc)

Now I have already read quite a bit on the EULA on this forum, but I'm still not sure what is and what isn't allowed.
Is there anyone who has an answer to wether the following actions are permissable:

1 Showing screenshots on the web

2 Post a ingame movie on the web

3 Showing the game to a potential employer (as a showcase of my skills)

4 Letting the employer play the game on my laptop, under my supervision

5 Making a rolling demo of the game and giving that to the employer

Thanks for the help

oneirotekt
31st Mar 2004, 01:48 PM
I'm pretty much doing the exact same things with my project. My understanding is that's fair use, as long as the rolling demo and in-game movie are actual movies (AVI, MPEG whatever) and not machinima (rendered in real time by the engine). I think the key distinction is, not giving the software you create to someone else in executable form, ie something they can run themselves and give to any number of others. Live demos or supervised playing are okay.

All of this legal jiggery-pokery is just so that someone doesn't create an extremely popular free game with the runtime that Epic then regrets not having made money off of (which they would have, indirectly, if it was a UT mod). Keep that in mind and you'll be okay.

[SAS]Solid Snake
31st Mar 2004, 05:31 PM
The BEST place to ask is to send an email to Vito or Epic. Don't ask here on the forums, because we only reflect an understanding of the EULA. Epic/Vito will know exactly what is and what isn't allowed. If UE2 is abused, UE3 will NOT be coming out which will be a big big shame.