PDA

View Full Version : Another SSP update, now with more PCP! KILL YOUR PARENTS!!!!!

EvilDrWong
29th Mar 2004, 06:43 AM
Here's a quick cut and paste from the readme. It not only describes the single coolest mutator ever, but it will get you so amped up to play it you will seriously kick your mom straight in the FACE!

The Species Stats Plus Three Step Program to Success is finally here! Impress your friends, startle your relatives, and woo your lovers with this simple and effective wealth building program! No money down cash exchanges, day trading, real estate, this program HAS IT ALL! Read sworn testimony from perhaps dozens of people who have no only become filthy stinking rich, but also industry leading professionals in their craft! Your head will spin so quick it will twist right off your shoulders and roll down the street! ITS THAT EXCITING!!!!
As a one time added bonus Ive also included the most excellent Player Classes Plus mutator! This offshoot of Species Stats Plus enables per team classes of the awesome kind! Skaarj versus Hellions, Skaarj versus Robots, the possibilites are nigh-endless! In fact, if you arent jumping for joy at this very moment, YOU SHOULD DIE BECAUSE YOU HAVE A DEFECTIVE SENSE OF RAD!!!!!!

Three Steps to Success:
===========================================================================================
First step: Extract everything in this archive (excepting this text file) into your UT2004 directory, overwrite where necessary.
*Bonus First-And-A-Half Step*: Go to the controls menu and set up the button to use abilities and open the class select menu (PCP only)
Second step: Play!

Amazing Life-Changing Features:
===========================================================================================
Improves upon the stock mutator "Species Statistics" theme and idea. Each species has unique combat statistics, abilities, strengths, and weaknesses! Each species can also have special abilities to further define them, one 'Command' (or Active) ability and up to three 'Passive' (or Reactive) abilities! Also, each species has a 'preferred weapon' that they will always join into the fight with! To top it all off, the whole flea-circus is fully customizable! You dont like the default settings? With our patented Configuration Menu you can set things up the way YOU want them! Burgerking, eat your heart out!

PCP changes the rules of the game by not only giving players statistical and ability differences, but specific roles to play during the fight. Each class has some cool ability that makes them awesome, gotta catch em all!

Known Issues:
1) Some sounds dont work properly over the network.
2) A handful of the effects suck. A couple dont exist.
4) The tooltip description for the C-Ability and P-Ability selector dont get set when the menu is first openened.
5) A death message or two might be incorrect.
6) Issue number 3 turned invisible
7) PCP's GUI layout is still horrible, no matter what I do

Unknown Issues:
1) I'm not sure.
2) Um... Still not sure.

Credits:
You (Thanks for enjoying this mutator... unless you didnt enjoy, then look at the Non-Credits below)
Inkless (Lots of advice, helping teach me UScript and letting me rip off his Riftwar concept almost to a T)
Kangus (Big Cheese of the WMP, boss of all us mutants)
Postal (The day that Postal stops showing interest in mutators is the day the world ends, I **** you not.)
Azymn (Tons of ideas, feedback, and that mango I got in the mail. I know it was you!)
SolaceEternal (Grand ideas that my lazy ass hasn't implimented.)
ROFL 451 (Your dad might have a PhD, but he doesnt get all the ladies)
Fallen Angel (Called me Goat I think... that definitely deserves credit)
Glocksteady (The only person I could sucker into multiplay testing this thing)
Sir_Brizz (The guy who made Customizable Species Stats for 2k3!)
Every 'Guest' at the WMP forums (The offer still stands)
Epic (Without you this wouldn't have been possible)
QAPete (U roxorz mah boxorz ^_^)
The Internet (Serious business)

Non-Credits:
You (This mutator is great, you suck for not enjoying it... Unless you did, then check the Credits above)
Everyone Else (No credit for you, sorry. You suck.)

Uninstalling:
Erase your entire UT2004 directory. Jerk. You you shouldnt ever want to uninstall this mutator.
Ok, ok. Seriously. Look for and remove Animations/SSPAnim.ukx, StaticMeshes/SSPStatics.Usx, System/SpeciesStatsPlus.u, System/SpeciesStatsPlus.ucl, System/SpeciesStatsPlus.int, System/SpeciesStatsPlus.ini, and Textures/SSPTex.utx

So what does all this mean to you and me? Well, at this point in time it means that im attaching the most recent, most improved, and most exciting version of this mutator since creation! A full featured configuration menu has been added, so you can finally customize your species without having to dig through a gang of text just to make the Robots kill stuff in one shot! There are 31 abilities included in this version: 23 command abilities and 8 passive abilities! (Wait a minute, before there were 11 passive abilities... Yes, youre right. But quite a few of them flat out sucked ass, so Ive removed them while Im in the process of removing the suck)

THATS RIGHT! There are more abilities than species! What this means is that YOU can pick and choose which ones go to who! Try em all out, lets see which ones suck the most, eh? :)

But wait, we're not done yet! Player Classes Plus, a mutator based mostly on SSP has been included for your enjoyment! With this mutator, each team will be able to pick from a set of themed classes (Hellions, Skaarj, Mercenaries, for example) and therein lies the awesome! A gang of burley thunderdome type scavengers battling it out with futuristic robots, TO THE DEATH. Its so awesome I had to change my pants because I soiled them...
TWICE

There is a keybind to set though, just look in your Controls menu to find it. For anyone who doesnt want to do that the command is mutate SpeciesCommand just like the old versions. Also, now that PCP is in the mix, you might as well bind mutate ChangeClass to some button, so you can change classes

Now, without further rambling... here it is! :)

PS: Tell your mom I'm sorry that she got kicked in the face :(

Postal
29th Mar 2004, 11:44 AM
In UC each class has a starting weapon, perhaps something like that as an option.

RegularX
29th Mar 2004, 12:26 PM
Great, next Wong will redo Riftwar in a mutator ... ;) If I can pull myself away from making weapon effects spawn on the left side of screen, I'll try to give this a whack.

EvilDrWong
29th Mar 2004, 03:29 PM
Someone requested a mute that displays "Frags Since Respawn"... so thats getting added... Any more ideas?

Postal
29th Mar 2004, 05:31 PM
How about bots get healed by the link gun alt, hey it works on vehicles?

EvilDrWong
30th Mar 2004, 06:03 AM
Just played a WHOLE CRAPLOAD of games with this mute. Im a bit partial, but noone seemed to mind the extra variety it added. I did find a couple problems though. A few minor AN's and a weird bug with the Dual AR ability in maps that the origin ( vect(0,0,0) ) is in the void... Will be fixed shortly.

EvilDrWong
30th Mar 2004, 04:44 PM
Ok, fixed a couple of the bugs. Dual assault rifles should spawn for you no matter which map you're in. I also changed the Gen Mo'Kai ability, they now regen 1 health a second.

EvilDrWong
4th Apr 2004, 07:47 PM
Another update. Added an effect to the Vampire ability, as well as tweaked the crap out of it. Increased the rate of health gain on it, but it's also limited in two ways:
if the amount of health the player would receive is less than 2 points, it doesnt leech.
Nightmare characters can no longer leech health from vehicles.

Also, theres an option to enable 'per species weapons' which will spawn you with the weapon selected as the 'preferred' weapon for that species.

And as an added bonus! I included a 'fixed' invasion gametype. Monsters can get their health leeched with the vampire ability now, and species damage output factors in against them finally. between round ammo-restocking works again too!

jack9911
5th Apr 2004, 05:52 AM
this gonna be fun for sure :-D
*downloading**damn, download allready finished***installing**

Azymn
10th Apr 2004, 10:18 PM
Great work DrWong, i love the spec stats mutator and have been waiting for someone to flesh it out like this.

FyreBall Starr
12th Apr 2004, 05:19 PM
WTF!!!!
NOONE TOLD ME SIR BRIZZ MADE A CUSTOMIZABLE SPECIES STATS MUTETOR!!!!!

ULL ALL DIE FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!

Can someone give me a link to Sir Brizzes CSS mutator

P.S. Good work Wong

EvilDrWong
19th Apr 2004, 04:52 AM
WTF!!!!
Can someone give me a link to Sir Brizzes CSS mutator

No, which is why i made this :p Brizz hasnt ported it yet as far as i know.
Config menu coming eventually. Dunno how long, dont really feel like screwing with GUI crap for a while :)

Azymn
20th Apr 2004, 06:56 PM
DrWong,

Beautiful job on the Mut - two problems i ran into.

Because of the minimum of 2 damage leech, the minigun doesn't provide any health back to vampires when used on damage-reducing characters (like Juggernauts).

Also, in Instagib (where species stats are far less useful), the Thorns ability of the Egyptians causes instakills back to anyone shooting an Egyptian, hehe.

I had a thought on differentiating some of the other races: perhaps in addition to giving them DARs, you could slightly increase the rate of fire for Mercs/Hellions to also signify 'battle-readiness.'

EvilDrWong
20th Apr 2004, 10:46 PM
Because of the minimum of 2 damage leech, the minigun doesn't provide any health back to vampires when used on damage-reducing characters (like Juggernauts).

Also, in Instagib (where species stats are far less useful), the Thorns ability of the Egyptians causes instakills back to anyone shooting an Egyptian, hehe.

I had a thought on differentiating some of the other races: perhaps in addition to giving them DARs, you could slightly increase the rate of fire for Mercs/Hellions to also signify 'battle-readiness.'
Ok... hmm... Ill have to mess with the math for the leeching i suppose. Yeah, i think i know how i can mess with it without causing huge trouble...

And EGAD! Ok, ill have to screw with how it works in IG... Never really tested it out, thanks for bringing that to my attention :) Perhaps i can just disable the species abilities in IG, seeing as how none of them will mean much of anything :p Who needs to regen health when you die in one shot, or whats the point of negating the push of a weapon if it explodes you instantly? ;)

Sadly though, i cant make any changes to fire rates due to some changes epic made to how weapons' firemodes are accessed... But, as a compromise, you got any ideas for 'on command' abilities for the races? Im thinking something like an offhand grenade for the merc/hellions... but aside from that, i dont have the slightest for the other races :p Maybe some sort of fake melee for the skaarj, where they play that slashing animation and do a bit of knockback or something...

Azymn
21st Apr 2004, 06:11 AM
Yeah, disabling it for IG would be fine - the stats truly don't work with 1-shot kills.

I'm also a coder, so i can totally appreciate how class structuring limits the possibilities.
As far as other possible modifiers...perhaps a boosted ammo pickup, where picking up 10 rockets actually counts as 15.

Offhand abilities - that would be cool.
Mercs/Hellions: a grenade does sound cool.
Skaarj: yeah, alot of people wanted to use those claws they all have - its a great idea.
Gen Mo'Kai: Jump attack - landing on characters deals damage and knockback.
Egyptian: Perhaps something like Apox Matrix moves, where you can crouch in midair and you can hold your position?
Juggernaut: A ground slam that knocks others back in a radius around them.
Robots: Self-destruct - deals damage to certain radius on death, like a shock combo or something.

Just a few ideas, i'm not sure where you wanna take this.

Oh, one question: what do the weapon preferences do exactly?

EvilDrWong
21st Apr 2004, 07:03 PM
if the weapon preferences arent doing anything, go into your UT2004/System folder and delete the xUpgraded.ini. I added that property in the last version and if you used the mutator before it wouldnt set the weapon prefs correctly.

Azymn
21st Apr 2004, 11:59 PM
bAllowSpeciesWeapons=True
is in the *.ini file - i think i've only gotten your most recent version.
I'm just not sure what it does.

EvilDrWong
22nd Apr 2004, 07:31 AM
If its enabled it should spawn you with a weapon based on your species. In those SavedSpeciesRecords variables, at the end should be the WeaponAffinity property. If its not working the problem might be that those properties are empty or missing... or that the latest version here is outdated by at least a month :p Ill post a new version.

New to this version: Tweaked some stuff, hopefully fixed the oddness in IG. Added a new command "Mutate SpeciesCommand" only used for Merc/Hellions now. Yes! Offhand grenades! General tweakage all around. Suggest erasing any xUpgraded.ini if youve got one to let the updated species stats/ability lists take effect. Still no GUI, coming some day. Working on new OnCommand abilities atm.

EvilDrWong
25th Apr 2004, 12:35 AM
Another update. Fixed some weird aiming issues with the grenades. Now they should hit what youre aiming at. Also, i gave the Gen Mo'Kai a halo styled sticky plasma grenade. Its green though, because in the unreal universe plasma is green.
Again, you need to bind mutate SpeciesCommand to a button... i suggest F or Q ;) None of the other races have 'on command' abilities yet, but ive cooked up a couple ideas.

Azymn
26th Apr 2004, 05:19 AM
Sounds cool, unfortunately the attachment didn't post correctly.

Postal
26th Apr 2004, 08:45 PM
How about adding a keybinding? Took me forever to get the grenades to work. I would like to see a shallow longer arc. Mind if I use the code? I got an idea I wanna try.

Other then that, I love it and no complaints, but add a readme/keybind!

Kangus
26th Apr 2004, 09:11 PM
he's already promised me a keybind in the next build. yay!

EvilDrWong
27th Apr 2004, 12:35 AM
Added the juggernauts' "Knockback" ability. Yes, i know it needs tweakage. Added quickie readme that sort of explains how to alter a species' statistics/abilities. Also includes a listing of the current Species Modifier classes (for reactive/command abilities)
KEYBIND! :D
Unless you're "2 l33t 4 me" i suggest overwriting your xUpgraded.ini with the one in the zip. Ill add some facilities to auto-update old ini's with the new ability listings sooner or later. GUI still not in the near future. Sorry, got bigger fish to fry atm.

Notes for anyone who uses this on a server:
First off... whoa! Kick ass! Thanks! Second - Everything will work as described. On command abilities are under construction, but even if the animation/effects arent in the right place, the abilities themselves ARE working.

Azymn
27th Apr 2004, 02:52 AM
Awesome offhands DrWong.

Any chance of making the grenade damage customizable? It seems that they should hurt more than a single missile shot for what the cost is. The effects are great, I thought the radius of the explosion FX could be increased significantly What might be really fun is boosting the knockback so that even if they don't kill in 1 hit, they really toss someone...

I love what you've come up with - the species are really starting to feel truly unique.

EvilDrWong
27th Apr 2004, 06:23 AM
As far as balancing goes, i want to strike a decent midrange between making the offhands more than just a novelty, but less than a mainstay. What i mean is, if people just run around only throwing grenades, why did i even bother getting all of this other crap working, ya know what i mean? But i dont want them to be so useless that people wouldnt consider using them... which is why so far, the strongest offhand is for the 'weakest' race. Sort of balance... but not really... i suppose.

Im working on fixing up the grenade aim, as it still doesnt work as well as i'd hope.

Adrenaline cost is fully up for debate. If its too high, go ahead and suggest some better values. At this point im really just trying to harvest any ideas... if its not obvious, im not exactly too creative ;) The end goal for this mute is to:

1) give enough options to please a majority of people. Plan is for at least 10 command abilities, whether theyre used by default or not, and 5 for each of the other categories (give or take)
B) Provide an easy way to get your feet wet with scripting in a halfway noticable fashion* without having the common 'how the hell do i get this to work' worries.
^) Prove to myself that no amount of painful 'psychic coding'** can halt the production of a somewhat generic mutator ;)

* Fully commented source will, of course, be put up in 'newbie friendly' areas with examples and a walkthrough on getting some form of command ability and reaction ability ingame and working.
** by Psychic Coding, i mean writing tons of functions and methods to automate the creation of new abilities. Hopefully making it as simple as a few default property changes.

edit: Thanks to everybody who'se downloaded any of the 7 releases so far :) sorry to keep changing and altering it like this, but improvements are improvements, right?

SolaceEternal
29th Apr 2004, 09:50 AM
Uhh.. where's the link for the download? I loved the species mutator; thought it brought a nice little difference to it... if that made sense. Anyway. I could never quite figure out what the difference was between them.... what were they?

And. Um. Hi.

Azymn
29th Apr 2004, 05:37 PM
As far as balancing goes, i want to strike a decent midrange between making the offhands more than just a novelty, but less than a mainstay.

Yes, I can totally appreciate that and i totally agree with you on the midrange. My suggestion to boost the grenades stems in part from a couple thoughts:

Rockets can be fired over and over and do the same amount of damage, they detonate on impact, and they don't cost any adrenaline. So after the novelty wore off, i haven't used the grenades at all. Giving them a larger blast radius and higher knockback and making them 1 hit kill at the dead center should still be balanced if you add a delay in which the attacker can't fire their weapon. Dodging makes it exceptionally easy to get out of the way of even a large blast radius.

Reasons for a 1 hit kill with grenades with 3+ second fuses:
- A rocket launcher takes someone out in 2 hits in less than 1.5 seconds
- Linkgun can kill in under 2 seconds
- Actually, most the weapons can kill in under 2-3 seconds
- All these weapons are highly accurate with a high rate of fire
- All these weapons are much harder to dodge than a grenade.
- None of these weapons have ammo limited by adrenaline

This would assume that grenades don't explode on impact, but only after their fuses run out. So I believe this magic midrange can be reached by always using a delayed fuse and boosting the damage to, say 150 or so. And constantly throwing grenades gives you a low rate of fire and makes you vulnerable to constant, accurate gunfire. Considering that they can consume adrenaline, they will be a rare commodity. It worked great in Halo - and UT2K4 has a much faster pace. I feel that if they are too weak, they will go unused. Anyone else agree/disagree?

RegularX
30th Apr 2004, 01:30 AM
Wong, what would it take to add:

-Default Adrenaline Level
-Default Shield Level

EvilDrWong
30th Apr 2004, 03:38 AM
default adren level - set
default shield level - set (though the shielding is... really screwed up in the code...)

Ok, grenades have been updated with a 'full damage' radius. Anything caught in that area takes full damage from the explosive, regardless of the distance from the blast. Things ouside of the 'full damage' radius, but still in the regular blast radius take the usual scaled-by-distance damage. With that radius crap said, grenade damage has been upped slightly: 95 for regular grenades, 110 for the slow and lofty Plasma grenades.

Ability effects, though not absolutely essential, are being reworked to reflect the changes in range and strength.

Adrenaline constraints relaxed a bunch. 3 for a grenade, 4 for plasma grenade, and 5 for the juggernaut's Knockback (which is still under heavy construction)

Azymn
30th Apr 2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks for considering boosting the grenades DrWong. I don't mean to be pushy or make demands - I do know what it's like as i'm personally writing a mod right now (http://fm.mt-wudan.com) and i have people making demands of me everyday, and i don't want to make anyone else feel like that. I just really like what you've done (and i would've done it if you hadn't), so i have a vested interest in your mut.

When i first addressed offhand abilities (in a previous post), i actually just tried to think of unique abilities period, instead of just offhand weapons. If you still plan on making additional abilities, here's a few brainstorms that hopefully won't be super difficult code-wise:

Offhand weapons
Juggernaut:
- Punch (Super concentrated shield gun hit) with big knockback
Egyptian:
- Light of Osiris: targeting the ground brings a beam out of the sky to strike it (like the ion cannon, but only dealing damage to a diameter the size of the beam, ~3 feet)
Skaarj:
- Claw attack, like you already mentioned DrWong
- Tail spin: basically just like the Jugg's knockback attack, but with a different animation
Nightmare:
- Death's Grip: targeting the ground summons a trail of medium damage spikes from the player to the targeted spot (like a Lurker in starcraft - if it's too tricky to code, just one spike popping up would be cool)
- Blood Maggots: (basically just spidermines skinned all black with red/blood explosion fx)
Robot:
- ClusterMissiles: Bot fires 4 light damage missiles that follow target painter sight
- DrunkenMissiles: Bot fires 8 light damage missiles that randomly twirl out from center of robot
- Static Discharge: Bot releases arc in x foot radius, electrocuting (lightning gun fx) all in range

Passive Special Abilities
Human/Merc:
- Passive Shield regen
Robot:
- Self-Destruct (just a random chance of dealing radius damage on death with added FX)
- Passive ammo regen
- Mechanical Affinity: weapons do 50% more knockback due to robot's intrinsic knowledge of their usage
Gen Mo'Kai:
- Chain jumping: can jump again anytime for a cost of X adrenaline per jump past the normal double jump (upto 8 jumps or so).
Juggernaut:
- Immune to fall damage
Egyptian:
- Can dodge in the air
- Crouching before jumping triples the height of the jump
Skaarj:
- Natural Camoflauge: Invisible (just turn on the invisible combo) while crouching/not moving.
- Abrasive Armor - damage done simply by colliding with another player
Nightmare:
- Acidic blood - similar to thorns but only at a close proximity

Lots of these abilities could be mix-n-matched between species, but it's just a few things i had runnin through my head.
Lemme know what you think DrWong.

EvilDrWong
2nd May 2004, 12:46 AM
added the missile battery, 3 missiles firing on a 1/3 second timer once activated, with moderate damage. added the drunken missiles, 40 missiles that rapidfire on a 0.05 second timer once activated (no, this is not how it will be in the next release. just for testing ;))
As much fun as the drunk missile barrage is, theyre useless at range.

RegularX
2nd May 2004, 11:13 AM
Do you have a new version posted yet? Should I get you an upload slot at UnrealMods? ( would actually have to write the upload slots mind you... )

RegularX
2nd May 2004, 11:54 AM
Oh, and if you include the source next time, I'll add in Versatile Key Binds for you.

EvilDrWong
2nd May 2004, 10:55 PM
yeah, some space would be nice. I wont need much more than 100k, tbh :p And if the mute gets bigger than that ill split it into optional packs :p Source will be a seperate download, but itll get posted whenever i get this current stuff all fleshed out. Versatile Keybinds might be nice, but unless the demand is high, species will be limited to a single command ability and a single reaction ability... Originally that was for replication... but seeing as how all of the work is done serverside, there is really no need to have a static set, so if anyone wants it ill switch it to a dynamic array.

Azymn
3rd May 2004, 12:19 AM
A dynamic array would be cool - even just one more keybind that cycled progressively through the abilities would work.

The only problem with that is that you'd need at least 2 offhand abilities for each class so noone gets 'left out' - it will require a bit more balancing.

btw - is there any link where one could consistently grab the current beta? Or do you prefer to make the builds more solid between release?

EvilDrWong
3rd May 2004, 01:28 AM
At the moment whatever version is posted here is the most recent that ive put out for public consumption. In the mean time I've created 3 command abilities and added a couple features, but i want to make sure thats all working before I slap a new version up. One a day, though its great for my ego, probably gets old real quick for those of you who might be playing :p
Ill add a bit to the readme about 'screwing around' with the mute, cause via Set commands ive managed some really funny results thus far :) Juggling Hellbenders with the Juggernaut Knockback ability being probably the most amusing :)

I know this isnt intuitive in the least, but for anyone who wants to give a species more than one command ability, i think im going to try and hold the command for a very short time to allow extra input to modify which ability to use. cycling through available abilities wont be possible with a dynamic array, since it requires a bit of a hack to force-feed the client the info from the server's array... but i believe something like... press once to activate ability one, press twice really quick to activate ability two, three times for ability three (and so on, if there actually are command abilities in those slots) But by default the species will not have more than one command ability, so the only way to get more than one will be if you/server admin decides to add more.

edit: heh, the button says "post quick reply" but I doubt such a post is considered 'quick' ;)

RegularX
3rd May 2004, 10:07 AM
Well the idea of VKB's is that once people start downloading a lot of gametypes/mutators, Epic's method of adding new key bind rapidly gets cumbersome (kinda like Epic's method of adding new gametypes, or mutators, or web admin...). Since you only need these keybinds while you are playing with the mutator or gametype, it seems silly to clog the keyboard with em.

Anyway, blah blah blah. I sound like a promo machine. I can drop them in seperate and we can try them out.

I'd probably have more note for you, but A) - since I'm trying this with Riftwar I've only tested 3 of the species and B) I think some of my notes are covered in your upcoming version.

And I've decided Dynamic Arrays are teh suck.

SolaceEternal
3rd May 2004, 10:55 AM
Brainstorm for people interested.

Perhaps a sheild as a class ability? I'm refering to an energy sheild similar to the (uh... just forgot the name ><; the sheildgun thingy), but different in the following examples.

1 Covers entire body (orb surrounding person.)

2 Prevents nearly ALL damage (instead of normal sheild only preventing some. I've always had difficulty trying to figure out what exactly it's supposed to block.) Only damage sustained while using the sheild would be environmental (lava, whatever) and super weapons. (poison too, if you're including that. Which would be another good idea; all (most?) attacks would poison another player for a short time. You could have the nightmares use it, and call it "decay".)

...erf. Got sidetracked. Anyway.

3 Recharges, but at a far slower rate than the sheildgun.

4 Can only be used while standing still and doing nothing else. (Preventing overuse by flag carriers.)

Another idea. Perhaps you could turn this into a "fragbuck" system, and make their chars fully customizable?

Just offering some thoughts.

SolaceEternal
3rd May 2004, 10:59 AM
...Um.. another idea, for the "Decay" ability I mentioned above. That might work out better as a "touch" ability.

RegularX
3rd May 2004, 11:09 AM
I really like the stationary shield idea. I had tried to build that into Riftwar, but it never quite worked out.

SolaceEternal
3rd May 2004, 11:36 AM
...still can't find the link to this mod. o_o'

SolaceEternal
3rd May 2004, 11:38 AM
I really like the stationary shield idea. I had tried to build that into Riftwar, but it never quite worked out.

People probably saw it, saw they couldn't move with it, and thought to themselves "OMFG screw this." And went to something else.

...Um... wait.

Never worked out, how? Couldn't get the code to work? Or just didn't end up in the way you wanted?

SolaceEternal
3rd May 2004, 12:35 PM
...more brainstorming. Accursed ADHD. -_-'

Anyway.

Perhaps a little spin on this: weaknesses and strongpoints to certain types of damage.

Example.

The robots, due to the plating, would make bullet-based weaponry nearly worthless if fighting one. Thus, they'd be nearly impervious to the assault rifle and mini-gun, and on a side note they'd probably get a defensive bonus against explosive weapons, too. However, being mechanical, they'd be extremely subceptable to energy weapons (link, biorifle, Raptor shots, and so on.) For a little balance they'd probably end up having their max speed cut somewhat, to make them appear more automated, natural if you will.

The cyborgs would do this to a lesser degree, since they're part flesh and part machine. Like... around %50 of the bonuses and weaknesses of the robots.

The mercs would be the balance point, having no bonuses from this, but no weaknesses either.

The mokai and egyptian would have the same relationship as the robots and cyborgs, respectively, but in reverse; weaker to bullets, but stronger to energy. (Probably no explosion bonus; no idea how to compensate for this.) o_o;

Nightmare/Hellion... would probably be weak to about everything (again, respectively.) This could be compensated with some sort of uber-ability... I dunno, raising the dead or something. Like... raising a new corpse to follow you around and fight for you (as a skeliton, of course.) For balance, the nightmares' redead would be stronger than the hellion's.

....wow. No idea where this came out. o_o

Anyway. Again, this is merely a suggestion; take whatever ideas you like and integrate them and modify them as much as you want.

EvilDrWong
3rd May 2004, 09:41 PM
I sent a request to epic to see if they'll add a set of 'damage family' variables, so protecting from 'energy' damage in custom weapons wont be impossible.

SolaceEternal
5th May 2004, 09:33 AM
(...it's kinda nice someone's actually listening to the crap I offer. Change of pace, yes, but still.)

Tamaria
5th May 2004, 11:29 AM
You may have already decided what you wanted to do with Nightmares, but it seems to be that a vampire melee attack would be most appropriate for them. That would be, it does considerable less damage than, say, the Juggernauts' knockback ability, but would give them health back, simulating, say, reaching out and taking a bite out of the nearest victim.

If there's an argument for a shield on command, it would be for the robots.

Also, I did notice there is no readily apparent link to the actual mod discussed here. I read through all the posts and it certainly didn't jump out at me. Where is the actual mod living? Or do you only hand it out to specific beta testers?

Thanks!

Tamaria
5th May 2004, 11:32 AM
It's right there at the bottom of the first post. Dhuh. I'm blind. Sorry. Don't mind me.

ROFL 451
5th May 2004, 12:31 PM
ROFL lives! :D

Have been trolling these forums as a guest because I forgot my pass and was too lazy to ask for it again.

Anyway! I heard you speaking of Skaarj blades, and it brought up an interesting project I have been working on. Wrist Blades :P

I watched Predator again about a month ago and decided to make wrist blades. All I have left is to finish modelling the blades themselves and texture them, code them and so forth. But the model is mostly finished.

I am teh suck at modelling hands (see the pics) but I think they might pass.

So, Wong, I will make the wrist blades a separate mute, but if you want em, just ask for em ;)

Screens:

EvilDrWong
6th May 2004, 07:33 AM
(...it's kinda nice someone's actually listening to the crap I offer. Change of pace, yes, but still.)
SHUT UP! ;)
Im gonna expand the amount of abilities a species can have and include OPTIONAL damagetype resistance. For now itll be static (meaning itll only work against stock weapons), but if i get my way and epic includes those settings, it should be fully compatible with non-stock weapons.

Tamaria: Chances are that you were looking at the thread right after i removed the attachment from one of the other posts, but before i moved it to the first post ;)

ROFL: To keep file size down i dont think ill be including any art assets aside from maybe small icons. I want to keep the file size as small as possible, cause downloading a 4 meg mutator over 15 versions would get old really quick ;) Thanks very much for the offer though! :D The hands look pretty decent... but the chocolate bar blades just aint CUTTING it! har har har... heh... hoo boy... that was awesome...

Ok, full feature list as of right now:

Each species has unique combat statistics including:
Jump Height, Run Speed, Swimming Speed, Dodge Distance and height, Maximum Health and Super Health, Damage received modifier, Damage Dealt modifier, Acceleration, Air Control, Minimum Adrenaline on spawn, and Shields on spawn, as well as what extra weapon members of the species get at spawn.

Current list of passive and active abilities:
Thorns - Mirrors 10% of damage received back to the attacker
Regeneration - Heal 1 health a second as long as you are alive, up to your Max Health.
Vampire - Receive 40% of damage dealt to soft targets (players) back in health, up to regular health limit.
Energy Leech - Receive 30% of damage dealt to vehicles back in health, up to regular health limit.
Massive - completely nullifies most 'push' from taking enemy fire.
Dual Assault Rifles - Spawn with a second assault rifle and extra AR ammo.
Grenades - Throw a moderate damage hand grenade for some adrenaline
Plasma Grenades - Throw a high damage, short range sticky grenade for some adrenaline.
Knockback - Push enemies away from you at the cost of some adrenaline (The Massive ability does not counter this.)
Rocket Volley - Fire three low damage missiles from your shoulder at the cost of some adrenaline.
Drunk Missiles - Fire 5 moderate damage drunken missiles from your shoulder at the cost of some adrenaline. (Drunk missiles fly around taking random trajectory changes, theyre very inaccurate but good for suppressive fire.)

Currently in progress:
Melee strike - Hits a badguy for great damage at close range. They shouldnt be that close anyway, teach em a lesson!
Damage Family resistance - Certain races will be more resistant to types of damage than others (Biological, Energy, Bullet, Explosive)
Invisibility - Like the adrenaline combo, but doesnt require full adrenaline to activate. Has an 8 second 'cool down' period between uses.
Full Shielding - Activate this power to cover yourself in a very strong forcefield. You will not be able to move very fast at all and you wont be able to jump more than a couple inches. (Its hard to force bots to listen to certain rules, so instead of penalizing human players, stopping them completely is out of the question for now... even though bots dont know how to use the abilities ;))

SolaceEternal
6th May 2004, 09:03 AM
SHUT UP! ;)

...Yeah, that's the responce I'm used to getting. ._.

^^;

Anyway.

Finally tried this thing out last night. I like how it's coming along, but... the only differences I could truely notice was that the robots didn't seem to have a command abillity (you probably already mentioned this; I have a flat-out HORRIBLE memory span) ><; and their life was up by 10%, and I noticed the mo'kari (sp? It's just too damn early) were slightly faster.

IMO, the changes made should be somewhat instantly felt as soon as you try it out, meaning most (if not all) of the primary status changes you've made (speed, health, etc.) should be just about instantly realized when you first play it.

In other words, I'm asking if you can kick it up a notch. ("Holy crap! This mo'kara guy can freakin' <i> book </i> across this map, but he can't take more than a couple of hits..." or "Christ is this Juggernaut slow, but damn, he can take a freaking beating!" That sort of thing.)

If you do start leaning towards this, I have a feeling it'll see more action, especially in team games like... well, all of them. In a deathmatch there probably wouldn't be much use of this (everyone would probably go for the hardest-hitting; not much sense getting a fast guy if there's really no reason to) but in CTF? This would be a blast. Lightning-speed mo'kara flying (manner of speaking) for a flag cap, while hard-hitting juggs an' robots give plenty of support fire and/or defending the base.

EvilDrWong
6th May 2004, 09:37 AM
In the UT2004/System folder there should be a xUpgraded.ini, and in that ini will be all of the settings for each species. I believe i went over them very briefly in the readme (gets put into your Help folder, Readme-SpeciesStatsPlus.txt)
If you're feeling saucy you can muck around in there and set things up the way youd like. Keep in mind though, that almost all of the settings use a regular multiplier. So double speed ( 200% ) would mean a value of 2.0 would go to the stat.
I'll try and work in presets of some sort, but dont expect them to be very pretty ;)

SolaceEternal
6th May 2004, 10:19 AM
In the UT2004/System folder there should be a xUpgraded.ini, and in that ini will be all of the settings for each species. I believe i went over them very briefly in the readme (gets put into your Help folder, Readme-SpeciesStatsPlus.txt)
If you're feeling saucy you can muck around in there and set things up the way youd like. Keep in mind though, that almost all of the settings use a regular multiplier. So double speed ( 200% ) would mean a value of 2.0 would go to the stat.
I'll try and work in presets of some sort, but dont expect them to be very pretty ;)

Sweet. Looking forward to it.

ROFL 451
6th May 2004, 12:39 PM
ROFL: To keep file size down i dont think ill be including any art assets aside from maybe small icons. I want to keep the file size as small as possible, cause downloading a 4 meg mutator over 15 versions would get old really quick ;) Thanks very much for the offer though! :D The hands look pretty decent... but the chocolate bar blades just aint CUTTING it! har har har... heh... hoo boy... that was awesome

Lol! The Blades arent done yet :lol: I'm adding detail as we speak!

EvilDrWong
6th May 2004, 02:10 PM
New version! Weeee!!! (Attached to top of the thread.)

Changes in this one: Four new command abilities! Only two of them are used by default though :(
Drunk Missiles - Fly around all willy nilly, do pretty good damage if they hit. (Unused)
Rocket Salvo - Fires 3 rockets in a straight line. Pretty OK damage.
Hellfire - I think it looks really farkin cool ;)
Invisibility - Toggles invisibility as long as youve got spare adrenaline for it. (Unused)

Added the two new settings. Spawn shields wont do anything apparent, because none of the species have their shield amount set yet. Afraid of screwing up the delicate balance by overpowering one race :p Any ideas for good values?
Minimum adrenaline will, if you dont have enough, raise your adrenaline to a species defined minimum level. Its set at 10 for all races right now... which means some races wont be able to fire their powers right as they spawn, others will be able to fire it a couple times.

Stuff to look forward to in the next version:
More abilities! You guys are such a great help, thank you VERY much! :D
Presets! Will be limited to 5 presets total, but if thats not enough ill set it a bit higher for ya :)
and uh... more stuff you guys would like to see?

SolaceEternal
6th May 2004, 02:57 PM
..um... if there's a minimum level, doesn' that mean that if they do a combo, it'll make it infinite? :confused:

EvilDrWong
6th May 2004, 03:06 PM
No, it only raises your adrenaline when you Spawn. Probably shoulda said that, eh? ;) And since combos are deactivated when you die, it shouldnt cause any weird 'infinite combo' issues.

SolaceEternal
6th May 2004, 03:44 PM
ah. Good.

Kangus
9th May 2004, 12:12 PM
Hellfire's pretty damn cool man. You just gotta add a custom damage type next version.... I mean, with a name like hellfire, "rode my rocket into oblivion" isn't the death message I want to see.

RegularX
9th May 2004, 12:47 PM
Yeah, they're pretty sweet. But I think I noticed a bug with them. Sometimes when firing I think I got a "You Killed X" style message, when in fact I didn't.

EvilDrWong
9th May 2004, 03:28 PM
Hmm... i have absolutely no idea why you'd get messages like that... theyre just regular projectiles fired in a regular fashion... Any chance one of your fireballs flew off somwheres strange and managed to finish someone off?

Yeah yeah, i know about the death message stuff. I added them right after i posted the new version. Problem is that DamageTypes define how vehicles will react with the imparted momentum, and i didnt want to screw things up right before posting a new version. All of the command abilities have their own messages, but vehicle momentum-scaling is WAY off. Hellfire can launch a scorpion about halfway across Torlan :eek:

To be honest, a few of those 'promised' features were just added after the update. I wanted to get something new out before i started screwing it all up ;)

EvilDrWong
10th May 2004, 01:39 PM
Ok, i changed the color of the "<Abilityname> activated!" message, so maybe thatll solve this magic bullet issue you had Reg. Added the melee attack for the skaarj... need to add some sort of cue that youve really used it though, the message is kinda easy to miss :p New version in a few days or something.

SolaceEternal
13th May 2004, 10:29 AM
Oooooo Make it go "Huzzah!" in huge letters when you do it (untill you find something better) ^^;

EvilDrWong
13th May 2004, 11:01 AM
hahahaha! Gettin really close to the 'official version 1' release. Bot support for the offhands is ingame and its working relatively well, all but one race has an offhand ability, things all seem to work with only small hitches, and im overall very pleased with the mutator.
Any last words?

Fallen Angel
13th May 2004, 11:07 AM
wong is gh0d

(god would be blastphamey [sp?])

EvilDrWong
13th May 2004, 03:07 PM
Latest build is in testing now, if all goes smoothly itll be posted here in a few hours. Bot support! Its amazingly fun, to be honest. Deathmatch at its finest ;) This will be the last WIP version, from that point on itll be 'actual versions.' This marks a milestone in humanity: Wong finished something!

Sir_Brizz
13th May 2004, 05:22 PM
Just so that all you strange people know, I'm going to release my Species mutator as well. Not for competition but because I know alot of people liked it.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out a good way to do the GUI in 2k4 so I'm leaving it out. Sorry, you'll have to do all your modification in the INI :)

EVENGROUND as well ;)

EvilDrWong
14th May 2004, 11:58 PM
Problems came up last night and i believe they're sorted for the most part...
So here's a new update.
Feedback would be nice as to the state of the mutator. Crappy powers? RandomAbility needs more damage? Drop the adren cost? More shields?! Come on people, out with it!

Not.Me
7th Sep 2004, 08:06 PM
1. I think all species should start with enough adleniline to use the ability.

2. Is it possible to make species have more then one prefered weapon? (Is it now or could it be made so in the next version.)

3. I think hellfire is a little bit too powerful.

4. In onslaught you can still use species abilitys even though there is no adrenaline. (I like this but I though I'd tell you anyway.)

EvilDrWong
8th Sep 2004, 03:23 AM
1) Yeah, i realized that a while ago :p A critically stupid decision, but its been fixed in current versions.
2) I can whip something up real quick, yeah.
3) Ill see what i can do to fix that
4) I need to sort out the timing on the abilities, but yeah... its supposed to do that :)

As soon as the powers that be clear it, Ill toss up another version... Youll have to trust me here, but it is much improved.

Not.Me
8th Sep 2004, 10:12 AM
Yay!

Azymn
8th Sep 2004, 03:17 PM
How hard would it be to make an external config that let you customize the offhand weapons a bit (i.e. damage, speed, radius, etc...)?

EvilDrWong
8th Sep 2004, 05:43 PM
I can get cracking on that once the config page is finished. It shouldnt prove too problematic, especially since youre asking for just an ini to make the changes in ;)

Azymn
9th Sep 2004, 12:45 AM
Yeah, no GUI necessary for fine tuning as specific as that. =]

EvilDrWong
11th Sep 2004, 10:47 AM
New version, see first post.

Not.Me
11th Sep 2004, 12:01 PM
(Cancels download of AUT and downloads this) YAY!

EvilDrWong
6th Dec 2004, 03:29 PM
Oh noes, a new update. This time theres been a bunch of crap added or removed... So Ive included a changelog in the /help folder (if you really care to see whats changed ;) )
PCP's core works, but the GUI (ie: All of PCP's graphical representation) is horribly ugly and scattered around... Anyone got a suggestion for a better layout?