PDA

View Full Version : Are team colours on skins important?

klasnic
28th Mar 2004, 05:08 PM
Are team colours on skins important? Simple question. Since I started skinning in December I've done team colours on all my skins bar my first (that's 14 skins ago!). Personally I think they are - Surely any player of CTF, Onslaught, etc., would agree(?) I wouldn't download a skin without team colours but maybe that's just me. Any replies (constructive or otherwise) would be appreciated :uhm: Oh here's a preview of my last few which should be available through SkinCity soon ;)

shadow_dragon
28th Mar 2004, 05:17 PM
Team skins aren't vital as such but a skin without them isn't professional and your right, probably isn't worth downlaoding unless it's very good!

BabyEater
28th Mar 2004, 06:54 PM
I agree. I've been pretty disappointed when I've downloaded what few skins there are specifically for 2k4 and found almost none with team skins. All the ones I've made thus far have them because you need them for half the modes of play!

shadow_dragon
28th Mar 2004, 07:14 PM
In UTClassic team skins weren't necesarilly vital, not foten people played Team games! 2004 is different though!

TO be honest i'v enot seen any skins for 2004 worth using, except that SKaarj one on these forums! I'm using some nice ones from 2003 though!

klasnic
28th Mar 2004, 08:23 PM
The Skaarj one you mention does look great mind you - Had a peek earlier. I've dumped about four I've done since getting the game because they weren't what I wanted. Finished two since, though but I'll be ages bringing them out as I want about eight in a pack, with t/c and bright skins too - The latter I'll include if there's a working bright skins mod. The bright skin textures are there from 2k3 but I can't find anywhere to turn them on in 2k4. They'll also be my last as I'm moving onto mapping or somethin' :)

shadow_dragon
28th Mar 2004, 08:45 PM
Bright skins are on as default!

klasnic
28th Mar 2004, 08:49 PM
Oh thanks... Must investigate further. I'll just test my new ones and see if they light up without me doing anything short of a mutator...

Yup absolutely right. Seems like I'll have to do a mod though to get my own to work or not include them at all. Thanks 4 that :)

klasnic
29th Mar 2004, 08:50 AM
Thanks guys and keep the feedback comin :) On another note, the 'plug' I made (my first one) is of my last few skins. The Phoenix one (first one) is a skin with some special effects. The Ultim8 is a skin pack with four skins (these will probably burn a few video cards because they're heavily animated and have a lot more fx. I only made Phoenix as an afterthought for ppl who liked Ultim8 but couldn't use them :)

BabyEater
30th Mar 2004, 05:34 AM
I've installed like five skins and none of them had teamskins. I am completely disappointed and appalled. I'm doing this for the first time, and the four I've done so far all have them. The crap?!

shadow_dragon
30th Mar 2004, 10:48 AM
People jstu can't be bothered or don't know better! Skins out at the moment are made by the (Edit)inexperienced few, trying out Upaint for the first time anyway! Theys houldn't really submit them to SKinCity but hey! THis stuff happens eh?

(Edit-OOps!)

klasnic
30th Mar 2004, 03:06 PM
Agreed... I was only lucky I was a fast learner and figured it out by the time I did my second :)

shadow_dragon
30th Mar 2004, 03:09 PM
To be honest i've never submitted ANY of my skins to SKinCity or similar myself! i always keep my stuff for lans really! Mainly as i do photofaces for friends and stuff!

klasnic
30th Mar 2004, 03:12 PM
Cool but at the same time it'd be good to see your work - Why not make one specifically for the community :thumbsup:

klasnic
30th Mar 2004, 03:14 PM
Ooh you uttered the word noob, shadow... rofl I can just picture you attacking yourself :D

shadow_dragon
30th Mar 2004, 03:20 PM
Dunno what you're talking about! *Cough!*

I tried joining some mods in the past but, strangely and rather ominously they all died, so i figured maybe i should keep them all to myself! Heh heh!

_Dark_Rusty_
30th Mar 2004, 05:35 PM
I think team colours are really important, but upaint isnt the best program to do it in. Most image editing programs have the right tools to do it quick & easy. microsoft photodraw isnt a very technical image editor, but I find it easier to select parts of the image & use hue & colourize.

klasnic
30th Mar 2004, 06:28 PM
To shadow, maybe that's why I haven't joined a mod yet - couldn't handle the rejection lol.
To rusty, I never thought of usin' photodraw and it's sittin on me hard drive... My way (in Photoshop) is to link a channel mixer layer with one that has the area I want coloured, then just move the sliders blue+100 or red+100 - Now that's handy and quick :)

shadow_dragon
30th Mar 2004, 07:06 PM
What I do if all i'm doing is editting is, i use photo shop and bung on a new layer, new colours can be easy or complicated but for each colour or tone of colour i make a new layer and apply a layer effect on! "Multiply" is a good one! The carefully mask out or erase out th sections where you might go over a line or where you want to make an old detail show through properly!
Hue changes are okay but the problems with them are they ignore the details, though i'm not saying it isn't possible to do the same as i jsut said using hue effects and such!

As far as "easy" goes i used to use Paint Shop Pro for colour changing as it's effect brush has a colour change tool which is rather crude but useable!

Dreyco
30th Mar 2004, 08:15 PM
I say team skins are kinda lame if you ask me, in our mod we are just goin to have Soviet uniforms and U.S. uniforms. This will be nice cause no more seeing people half way across the map cause they are wearing bright red/blue And before anyone says blah blah that wont work, it will you just change it so instead of just changing the colors of one uniform you have 2 totally different skins for each Army.

klasnic
30th Mar 2004, 09:08 PM
Very valid and good point (for a mod). But if you used those same skins generally in Onslaught e.g. wouldn't things get very confusing unless everyone were using them... No there's an idea, in with the U.S. and Soviets and out with the red and blue lol :D

Dreyco
30th Mar 2004, 09:11 PM
Well our mod is goin to slow things down a bit, so you acually life for more than 10 sec. We plan of snipers, and choke points so mass chaos shouldn't happen too offend where you can't tell friend from foe.

klasnic
30th Mar 2004, 09:15 PM
Sounds cool. I'll be on the lookout for it when it's done. Be sure to keep us posted :sniper: What'd be really cool in that mod too is the music from the film Enemy At The Gates. For me anyway ;)

Dreyco
30th Mar 2004, 09:20 PM
Yea, we got a sweet music artist subatomic glue, his work is almost Red Alert-ish its really cool, so far we have a good loading music song and a couple others on the way. www.subatomicglue.com you can download his music for free at his site he is anti RIAA. I suggest, "Morning Jungle Fortress" "Feline" "A jetpack in hand" "Ice Overflow" "Anubis Claws" and hmm "Grassisgreen" is a must.

Dreyco
30th Mar 2004, 09:22 PM
In reply to my earlier post

Dont get me wrong though, it will have plenty of carnage, just more realistic and planned.

shadow_dragon
30th Mar 2004, 10:36 PM
A realism mod? Well fair enough! Realism is always fun eh?
BTW i already made a thread about teh shoddy team colour skins in the game!
Hoping to get some interest in doing some kind of mod to fix it up really, because unless it's done properly all i can do is make new characters identical to old ones with different team skins, which is good enough but no use online where it counts really!

Shoot! http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=130501&page=1

Dreyco
30th Mar 2004, 10:39 PM
Pretty Realistic, though now Tom Clancy style. You'll be able to take a few bullets before biting the dust. :D

klasnic
31st Mar 2004, 01:24 AM
Yea, we got a sweet music artist subatomic glue, his work is almost Red Alert-ish its really cool, so far we have a good loading music song and a couple others on the way. www.subatomicglue.com you can download his music for free at his site he is anti RIAA. I suggest, "Morning Jungle Fortress" "Feline" "A jetpack in hand" "Ice Overflow" "Anubis Claws" and hmm "Grassisgreen" is a must.

Excellent stuff - I'll give them a listen. Btw I always preferred strategy games like RA and TotalA. I've just given them a break for a while to do something new. The music in RA is excellent so I'll be lookin' forward to the mod :D

klasnic
31st Mar 2004, 01:29 AM
Do ya mean the bright skins, shadow. Admittedly I never used them in 2k3 and don't want them turned on in 2k4 by default. Hope someone makes a mod to configure 'em. Even the way you can choose the skin colour i.e., default, red or blue if there was an option in that menu for bright red, bright blue now that'd be excellent. I'm just finished another skin and think I'll just dump the bright skins I did for it. Either that or leave em there for someone else to sort out (I couldn't be bothered). I figured once I named them right they'd work but they dont... Muhaahaa sucky!

BabyEater
31st Mar 2004, 07:37 AM
Hey wait! I *am* the "inexperienced few".

::goes and cries::

Astartus
4th Apr 2004, 05:14 PM
Ok this reply may come a bit late but I just wanted to add my 2 cents....

Although I'm no great FPS player I like teaming up with some guys on LANs instead of juts shooting stupidly around....
That's why I think team colors are a must. Ok, I understand that it is hard work to make good skins and addind team colors to them. But a good skin without team colors isn't complete in my opinion.

I just downloaded the Skin "Ion" for the UT2k4 Cybernetic Model, and I really like the skin (the model looks much better than this large locomotive/tea-pot thingy called Cyclops :lol: ) but I was a bit disapointed when I noticed that there are no team colors.
I mean, can't the author of this skin just take the team colored parts from the original modell (I think it is called Axon)?

klasnic
4th Apr 2004, 07:28 PM
(the model looks much better than this large locomotive/tea-pot thingy called Cyclops :lol: ) but I was a bit disapointed when I noticed that there are no team colors.
I mean, can't the author of this skin just take the team colored parts from the original modell (I think it is called Axon)?

:lol: thanks for the feedback Astartus - We've really been giving team colours a push and hopefully we'll be seeing a lot more of them coming out. The next few weeks on SkinCity should certainly see some. It's a pity when you have a good skin and then find it's 'pretty' useless in team games. Okay so you have two little orbs which denote red/blue but it's not quite enough and given that ppl requested bright skins on 2k3 because they couldn't see what colour the teams were(?) I doubt the orbs are enuff. Anyway thanks :tup:

BabyEater
10th Apr 2004, 03:48 PM
I shall reiterate for no particular reason.

ALWAYS INCLUDE TEAMSKINS!

::bows::

Tucker Gerak
15th Apr 2004, 03:08 PM
I agree, there is absolutely no reason not to color the team skins. In programs like Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro, all it takes is a simple colorize command on key points of the body (Gloves, bracers, and boots are enough.) I just finished an edit of the Romulus skin to suit my needs better and it took me a total of 3 seconds to make both skins.

My only problem is now, I don't know how in the world to "add" it to my skin. (This is my first skin of any kind.) I saw where klasnic said on another board to import them and name them "myskin_1" and "myskin_2" but that doesn't make any sense. Any help would be great.

klasnic
15th Apr 2004, 03:57 PM
I saw where klasnic said on another board to import them and name them "myskin_1" and "myskin_2" but that doesn't make any sense. Any help would be great.

Thanks for the feedback :) Okay I'll try to put it in simple English. When you've completed your 'normal' skin export it to UT via Upaint (simple enough). From here we'll just pretend the skin is called X. Now you need to open UnrealEd (program in the UT system folder). Goto the texture browser and click on file-open and open the X.utx file (the skin file). Here you'll see three pics - the body, the head and the portrait. If you've already saved the red and blue versions as .png or .tga then goto file-import and browse to where the red one is and import it. Here you call it X_0. You import the blue one and call it X_1. _0 means red and _1 means blue. Then save the X.utx file and try out the skin in game. That ok this time? :lol:

Tucker Gerak
15th Apr 2004, 04:25 PM
That's perfect. Thanks much. :D

Btw, here's a link to a screenie of the skin if anyone was curious. It wasn't much at all. Just the eyes, the scar, and I removed the color from the body.

Tucker's First Skin (http://members.lycos.co.uk/tuckergerak/pics/misc/ut2k4_1.jpg)

And if you want to use it for some strange reason...

Download (http://members.lycos.co.uk/tuckergerak/misc/tucker_ut2k4.zip)