CPU Choking fps.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I've been debating forever on getting a new graphics card because basically I was pretty sure if I spent a buttload of money on a card my fps generally wouldn't go up because my CPU would be a choke point.

I had seen this chart before and I just wanted to turn you on to it incase you might be thinking about doing the same thing.

Chart

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Grr...I'll need a new video card AND processor! :(

I have an AMD Athlon 1000 (exactly what they tested) and an nVidia nForce2 IGP (== GeForce4 MX 440). Although the video card is my bottleneck right now, I'll have to get a new CPU as well in order to realize any good improvement...

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I went to CompUSA at lunch and plopped down 266$ for a Radeon 9800 Pro. (is that what you've got Scum?)

I tell ya, it damn near killed me to part w/that much money, and please don't tell me I could have gotten it cheaper @ blahblah, you'll only drive a stake thru my heart.

I figure I'll use it in my next build if it doesn't boost/smooth out my frames with my current pc.

Right now I've got:

P4 1.8G
512 Ram
Radeon 9000 Pro

I'll let you know the fps change once I get the new card installed at the same settings.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Well, I've got the new card installed, but I used the drivers that came on the install CD.

At the same settings my frames went up by about 10 in Onslaught, but they're still hovering around the 30'ish mark with alot of action.

The biggest difference is in AS-Convoy. I get a pretty steady 30-40 outside. This is a big improvement over the 15'ish I was getting before. I was actually able to get some headshots.

I guess now I need to get the latest drivers and see if they make a difference.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Hanover_Fist said:
At the same settings my frames went up by about 10 in Onslaught, but they're still hovering around the 30'ish mark with alot of action.

The biggest difference is in AS-Convoy. I get a pretty steady 30-40 outside. This is a big improvement over the 15'ish I was getting before. I was actually able to get some headshots.
Hey, think you could buy another Radeon 9800 Pro for me? :D

nero2

Nov 19, 2003
Hanover_Fist: There will always be moments when your FPS hits 30 :( In the demo, I would be well above 30fps 85% of the time, but once I got the retail, I have been too tempted to run everything on maximum. Now I consistently see 25-40fps during any sort of action. What's worse is that I'm one of those picky people that can tell the difference between 60 and 45fps. Grrr.. I can't stop cause it looks so good :D UT has aways been such a CPU-dependant game, it makes me want an A64!

My system:
XP2100+ @ 2.3ghz (200x11.5)
512MB TwinMOS PC3200 @ 2-2-2-11
Radeon 9800NP flashed to XT @ 412/365
All on an SN45G

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Renegade Retard said:
Han, how did it do at FragBU last night?

Pretty well I think.

In the early games I wasn't so much concentrating on frags, I was more or less keeping an eye on how my fps' were doing. The change in graphics were subtle but I could tell they were better. I played around with the LG/Shock/Sniper most of the time to see how well I was doing with body/headshots. I was kinda surprised at how many I was hitting. I was not able to do that well before. Later on in the evening I just played like normal as I got used to the change in graphics but I was still getting pegged in the little 1 on 1's by Rev. and MAEST in terms of LG/Shock primary hits, but they're much better players than me so I don't think fps are going to give me an edge with them. (I need to work on my aim) ;)

The biggest change is in the AS maps, they were really choppy before and they're smoother now, very playable.

I've got to say, I'm a little spoiled with my fps' in games like CoD/ET, those run silky smooth and 2k4 (AS and ONS) runs like a 3 legged dog compared to them.

Overall, I would say that for the amount of money I spent on the new card I didn't really get my money's worth in the increase in frames, I mean 266$ for roughly 10 fps? That's not exactly a bargain.