Ripping Marathon

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
Now that I'm on spring break (for just one lousy week, though), I'm finally taking the time to sit down and re-encode *all* of my music CDs as 128 kbps AAC files.
I'm quite glad I have a relatively small music library -- just a couple dozen CDs, mostly movie soundtracks.

And yes, I do know it's a lossy formate and 128 kbps isn't that high a bitrate...after nearly three hours of testing, I concluded that I flat-out can't hear any difference between 128 kbps AAC and higher-bitrate AAC and MP3 files unless they're played side-by-side, and even then it's not big enough to really justify the higher bitrate.

Last edited:

Harry_C

Getting old ... and drunk
Apr 2, 2001
France
Visit site
Instead of wasting 3 hours just to decide what format and bitrate to use for your CDs, you should have downloaded the tracks from any p2p network.

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
While I don't consider it unethical to P2P files that I own legitimate copies of, AAC files are much less common than MP3 online. Also, I've found that it's relatively difficult to find complete CDs online -- popular individual songs yes, entire CDs no.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Kowalski is teh right.

edit
This thread isn't nearly as interesting as the title lead me to believe.

Last edited:

[C22]-Mort

Retired but wearing the tag with pride!
Aug 18, 2003
Cornwall
www.morte.force9.co.uk
SaraP said:
Also, I've found that it's relatively difficult to find complete CDs online -- popular individual songs yes, entire CDs no.

Hmmm...Not true...so very, very not true! ;) ;) Unless you want all your songs to sound different then getting a qualty rip of the whole CD is the only way to go :D :D

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Depends on how obscure your taste in music is.

Obiously I am far too cool to find music I like online. Nothing is any good if other people like it. :rolleyes:

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
We should all post threads about inane things whenever we feel like it. Wouldn't O/T be such a wonderful palce if everyone turned it into their own personal livejournal. I can't wait :cool:

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
jaunty said:
We should all post threads about inane things whenever we feel like it. Wouldn't O/T be such a wonderful palce if everyone turned it into their own personal livejournal. I can't wait :cool:

Why not create a single "Post" Thread of sorts where people can do that, or if they have something inane or silly to get off their chest, they can post it in there?

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
Because it's a horrendous waste of bandwidth, time, effort, oxygen and finite resources.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
My nose is running. I swear it just doesn't stop. I wish I could find a way of selling my mucus and a useful industrial product. I can just imagine tanker loads of my snot wending their way across the ocean to developing nations that need it for the manufacture of plastic white goods (for example).