Converting Models n Textures

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Slugster

Mar 24, 2004
Hi!

I have a lill bit of a problem, was planning to convert models n textures from unreal 2 into ut2k4 to make a mod, but the unreal 2 editor wont let me export anything for some reason, n ut2k4 editor doesnt support some of unreal 2 files :(

So i was wondering if any1 knoe of any program that i can use in converting over models n stuff from unreal 2 into ut2k4 n ofcourse where to get it.

I would appriciate if any1 could help me in this matter..... thx! :)

Verizian

Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
UT200x was made by Epic and published by Atari while Unreal 2 was made by Legend and published by Atari.

While Legend is now defunct and most of their old staff got new jobs with Epic, there are still some legal issues about converting the files over so no one has ever made a converter.
Technically the two games use different scales and even more importantly they use different file types inside the actual Unreal Engine packages so it would be very hard to create an import plugin.

I would suggest using alt+printscreen inside the Unreal2 version of UnrealEd to take reference shots and then use them as a base for your own models.
This should avoid any legal issues as long as you include info and credits about it in your readme file. Also it would be better for performance over any file convertor as the Unreal2 models use a lot more poly's than any UT200x model.

Textures will have to be redone by hand due to different UVW mapping but you could trace parts in photoshop to get the right detail and facial features.
The heavy armour could also be made as a walker vehicle.

Just don't go copying the entire game over as that WOULD be ilegal.

Slugster

Mar 24, 2004
Thanks for the headsup!

I knoe it would be ilegal to copy over the entire game, and i had no intention of doing so. All i wanted was the Light/Medium/Heavy marine corp models as player models for UT 2004. Would have made em from scratch but cant since i don´t have that kind of time. Making those models from scratch would mean that i would have to work with Karma and Maya to do the ragdolls and to make the animations, also to make textures, i need to work with photoshop which would take too much time since i do work and study, so my spare time is limited. By converting the models, it would have saved me some time..... But i guess thats impossible now since the poly and the file types are too different. Well thanks for your help anyways, ad ill see what i can do, maybe ill get sometime over.