Stuttering, Extreme HDD Swapping?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sparky

Retired Administrator
Dec 6, 1999
Australia
www.beyondunreal.com
Ok, I know some of you have rather good systems, great vid cards etc. I fall into this category and suffered from extreme HDD swapping and stuttering in ONS/AS on holy crap details. There's only one true way to fix this and that's to get at least 1gig of ram to help process all those hi-res textures etc.

I know it's expensive, but trust me when I say it works :).

Attachments

• fixed.jpg
    fixed.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 43

Lawgiver

Nov 4, 2001
So this has absolutely jack to do with UT then, you just wanted to gloat that you got some more ram! :biggrin2:

Sparky

Retired Administrator
Dec 6, 1999
Australia
www.beyondunreal.com
Just pointing out that there's either a large memory leak with the current build, or you just just need at least 1gig to get decent play out of it with holy crap details.

Trying to help people decide on whether or not to make the upgrade. :)

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
I have a gig of ram and my machine doesn't swap at all, despite having several other apps running. I have the detail cranked to the max, and a radeon 9600 pro w/128MB. I even play my own mp3s while playing, and I encode at a decent bitrate. Maps still take a bit to load, but nothing horrible. If there's a memory leak, I'm not seeing it, or it's not leaking much.... Hell, that game hasn't even crashed on me yet.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Sparky said:
I know it's expensive, but trust me when I say it works :).

There are a few culprits that eat up big chunks of memory on a Windows system. I would install a utility that allows you too see what's in memory to carry out a few optimisations before making the jump to 1 Gig (although it can't hurt and might as well profit from the low prices ;) ).

But, yes, disk swapping can kill video game performance drastically. If you're wondering if any disk swapping is occuring on your computer when you use certain apps, simply check if the HDD LED is flashing.