How can i disable the 'windows' key on my keyboard?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
My sprint key is Alt, which is next to the Windows key. So i press the Windows key by accident and end up opening start menu, minimizing the game..

I would really like this key disabled - when i'm playing infiltration - or completely. And i have no idea how.

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Oh, the things you can find if you use Microsoft.com's support website ;)

How To Disable the Keyboard Windows Key
This article was previously published under Q216893

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

SUMMARY

It is possible to disable the Windows key that is now available on many new computer keyboards. This key usually provides shortcut access to the Start button or other Windows NT functions.
MORE INFORMATION

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To disable the Windows key, do the following steps:
  1. Click Start, click Run, type regedt32, and then click OK.
  2. On the Windows menu, click HKEY_LOCAL_ MACHINE on Local Machine.
  3. Click the System\CurrentControlSet\Control folder, and then double-click the Keyboard Layout folder.
  4. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, type in Scancode Map, click REG_BINARY as the Data Type, and then click OK.
  5. Type 00000000000000000300000000005BE000005CE000000000 in the Data field, and then click OK.
  6. Close the Registry Editor and restart the computer.

zeep

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Thank you gentlemen. I searched on google but i must have done something wrong and found nothing. After my post i searched again and got that same microsoft page.. and then some.

zeep

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
hehe, nice.

forgot to mention im running 98se btw. The registry value doesnt work. Fiddled around
with it a bit but i cant get it to work.
Winkey program does work and is fast and takes up 40 kb system mem when running and hardly any cputime. (Author claims it's the best one out there. )