PDA

View Full Version : brand new mod for ut2k4 looking for everyone

radford88
16th Mar 2004, 08:03 PM
hi, im looking for people to join my mod. its a 3rd person (see design doc) modern military mod for ut2k4 taking place in urban middle eastern areas. its the U.S. Army vs "indiginous people", i didnt have an idea of what they were going to be called, so i just use that. i just wrote up the design document, and as u will notice, it isnt done. there is almost no actual work done, as of now im the only member of the team, the mod was just born. im not the boss of the mod, if u join the team and have an idea, everyone decides. im seeking all positions, although this mod REALLY needs 3d modelers who can do character models.

u can drop me a line at my Email radford88@hotmail.com or if u have AIM, im raddy ridn low

[SAS]Solid Snake
16th Mar 2004, 11:17 PM
Counter-Strike, Urban-Terror type mod? I think you'll have a tough time against Frag Ops and the others who are already very well established. Also you might be trekking through some politically dangerous grounds by setting it in Middle Eastern territories.

All IMHO however, so you can if you want totally disregard this post. Also, there is a lot of very helpful hints on how to successfully startup a mod. I doubt a design document is enough to get people motivated and interested, especially from the sounds of your post as well.

FireSlash
17th Mar 2004, 05:18 AM
Base it off an existing realism mod and cut your work in half.

Dead_Metal
17th Mar 2004, 05:26 PM
God, you two love attacking ppl don't you?

Zarkazm
17th Mar 2004, 07:20 PM
lol well what can you do if yet another aspiring mod maker has nothing in his mind but a CS clone when UnrealWiki has a long list of original ideas waiting to be picked up

Lise
17th Mar 2004, 07:46 PM
Sounds a bit more like a Desert Combat ripoff to me, to be brutally honest.

JamesKilton
17th Mar 2004, 11:17 PM
They like attacking people? I've missed the 10 realism start-ups a week! Those were the good old days and man did I make some people quite pissed :D.

Radford: The main question I always ask, and in the most sincere, helping manner, is this: "What will make me want to play this mod rather than mod X which is much like yours". You have to market yourself, pull a few strings, and make something fun to get people not only to play the mod but to make it.

FireSlash
18th Mar 2004, 05:18 AM
God, you two love attacking ppl don't you?

I just made a suggestion. I don't see any hostility in my statement.

Modding existing mods is a great idea. For instance, if you wanted to make an RTS mod, you could use one of the existing RTS mods, and your overall work load would be focused on modeling/animation/skinning while your code work would be pretty low. It just saves time, and makes sense.

Dead_Metal
18th Mar 2004, 06:57 PM
Um first off if UT2k4 is just now coming out how do these mods already exist for it? - Also it may SOUND like another mod you know but in a whole it may have things covered that those mods do not, or in other words something that makes it - "IT" you know? unique, I hear its a good thing........especially since you have pretty much no genre that hasn't been covered, though you may have a different spin on the genre, that doesn't really matter is what your showing by saying that this mod that he is starting has already been taken care of. But what do I know? - CXP director out.

[SAS]Solid Snake
20th Mar 2004, 02:05 AM
Well I wasn't explicity attacking anyone, I thought my post was relevant to what he was wanting to do. I simply stated that other mods have already acquired a strong foot-hold here.

Um first off if UT2k4 is just now coming out how do these mods already exist for it?Because, as a coder, I know that the existing UT2K3 mods will need to do some work to be compatiable with UT2K4, but not nearly as much work as starting from scratch.

vandor
23rd Mar 2004, 02:25 PM
That downed helicopter bit sounds a lot like Black Hawk Down, as does the urban desert setting. Is there anyway you could put a twist on the twist? I can't think of anything right now since my head is full of stuff for Jupiter Project.

(v)adOnion
23rd Mar 2004, 03:33 PM
Solid Snake']
Also you might be trekking through some politically dangerous grounds by setting it in Middle Eastern territories.

Criminalizing a culture sure would not be very smart.

Dead_Metal
30th Mar 2004, 06:44 PM
Hide their appearance in clothing - modern not culturalized....and there really shouldn't be much of a problem.