I, Robot movie

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

novak

Oct 22, 2003
Visit site
I think Proyas and Goldman are pissing all over Asimov's grave with some of the decisions they've made with the film, the worst being casting Will Smith to the lead. Too much CGI, too much Hollywood. :tdown:

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
What do you suppose the chances of Will Smith being in serious act0r mode (rather than light entertainment mode) are?

If he is, this may well be better than it sounds.

[C22]-Mort

Retired but wearing the tag with pride!
Aug 18, 2003
Cornwall
www.morte.force9.co.uk
I'd certainly be interested in seeing how that is worked. As I Robot is a collection of short stories based on the interplay between the 3 Laws of Robotics and many of the stories in the book simply will not work if the second law has been altered to that degree, "I, Robot" and "The Rest of The Robots", worked because of the exsquisite balance between the 3 Laws, which leads to some interesting ethical/moral situations!

I'll assume this is typical Hollywood Hogwash, where the "all-american" hero saves the day single-handed whilst waving the stars and stripes froma flag-pole sticking out of his arse!

Also which story/stories have they used as the robot I've seen looks NOTHING like those described in the book(s)!

At least "bicentannial man", wasn't completely destroyed as a film!

Last edited:

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
First Problem:
Will Smith stars in this action thriller inspired by...

Second Problem:
1) A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm
2) A robot must obey orders givein to it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3) A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
appears to be ignored. (Yes you guys know this but that 1% that don't here it is.

Problem 3: Screen play done by Akiva Goldsman and not Harlan Ellison. After a few attempts by other writters to take the stories into a single movie Harlan's version is considered the only one that does it. Being friends (as much as Harlan can be friends with anyone) with Isaac Asimov made sure he stayed to the the stories. It should have been based on his screen play. For those you wish to read it it was published. Also appears they are republishing it. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...i2_xgl14/104-0049897-0909578?v=glance&s=books (they messed up the credits on that page btw).

Problem 4:
brought to the big screen by director Alex Proyas (Dark City, The Crow).
Enough said.

Edit: I just found this comment and I was wondering if some can confirm:
Apparently when they decided to make a movie based on "hardwired", they thought it would be a good marketing idea to attach a well-known science fiction name and book title to the movie so it would do better. At that point they re-wrote the screenplay to incorporate some Asimovian characters and plot lines. What they ended up with is a movie named after one book, but resembling the plot of another book.

So what it looks like we are ending up with is Susan Calvin, from the 21 century, placed in a murder/mystery story that has some ingredients from "Caves of Steel" and its prequel "Mother Earth". Quite the mish-mash.
If true that is problem 5, 6 and 7.

Last edited:

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
CK it may not be a bad movie. I have not seen enough to judge. I suspect it is. What I would say it is a bad "I Robot" movie.

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
Having not read the books but having my interest piqued by all that I have heard about them, should I read the books now and then see the movie, or wait until after the movie?

If I wait, I just might be able to enjoy both, but waiting sucks.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
read the books and avoid the movie at all costs if you happen to like them.

*eek* the plot reads like 'Bad Boys' mixed with 'indepence day' with robots/androids instead of drugs & aliens ...

[C22]-Mort

Retired but wearing the tag with pride!
Aug 18, 2003
Cornwall
www.morte.force9.co.uk
Approx....yes read the books, "I, Robot" and "The Rest of the Robots".

Also worth reading :-

"Caves of Steel"
"Dawn of the Robots" & "Robots & Empire", "Dawn of the Robots" is probably my favourite Asimov book, sort of a classic 50's detective story, with a suprising twist, would make a much better film than I, Robot! (with harrison Ford as Elijah bailey I think :D :D )

Also worth a read is the "Foundation" Series! Set in a galactic empire originally colonised by earth but earth has long since been forgotten!

When you consider when these books were written and the kind of Moral/ethical issues they deal with regarding advancing technology, you realise how truly special and visionary Asimov was (and a damn good story teller too :D)

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Keganator said:
Well, you can't expect the best from everything...
Perhaps, but at the very least they'd treat the subject/author with a little more respect. It's been a while since I read anything by Asimov, but I don't recall much action happening in those books.

It may not be as difficult a subject/story as Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, but it shouldn't be turned into yet another 'Running Man' or 'Pet semetary' just to rake in a few quick bucks.

/me dares not to think about what would happen if anyone ever attempted to translate the 'Foundation'-series to movie-format.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
(SDS)benmcl said:
brought to the big screen by director Alex Proyas (Dark City, The Crow).

Problem 4: Enough said.

I quite like Dark City, but most of the other things you listed were spot on. The movie trailer made me sick.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
He can act.

Every time I've seen him do something serious it's been good.

Perhaps this marks the start of that serious acting career he's been talking about.