PDA

View Full Version : [UT2k4] Vehicles WIP's

Major-Lee-High
11th Mar 2004, 03:05 AM
Newest Pics

Texture WIP Need CRITS/Help!!

http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v105/TRyanD/UT2k4%20Vehciles/TireRender.jpg
http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v105/TRyanD/UT2k4%20Vehciles/JeepTireTex.jpg

Latest Jeep Pics, added side step since these, still right at about 3500tris.

http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v105/TRyanD/UT2k4%20Vehciles/MANGLER-05.jpg
http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v105/TRyanD/UT2k4%20Vehciles/MANGLER-06.jpg
http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v105/TRyanD/UT2k4%20Vehciles/MANGLER-07.jpg
http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v105/TRyanD/UT2k4%20Vehciles/MANGLER-08.jpg

original post

Hey guys, been working on these models off and on for a few weeks now, trying to get them looking like they would fit in with ut2k4 vehicles.

Ive got a HELI based off a OH-6 like the little birds in BHD and a jeep. ATM the helis biggest problem (or atleast crits ive gotten on other boards) is that it looks to toyish.... I cant really tell, i dont really like the landing rails is my only problem (ive been thinking of making it hover, blades move constantly but slower when still and removing them).

So far ive called it the SMERC (small military equiped recon craft, or atleast thats what i made up after calling it smerk). The driver will fly it and control the gatlin guns for the main weapon, im aiming for making them antivehicle (shooting players out first, need to see how that works) and the rockets which will be mainly anti infantry. The passenger will control a bomb similar to the redemer that falls out the bottom and can be controlled, except with less damage, faster speed (and possible a burst or something with main fire mode) and a alt fire that detonates it. Heres latest pics of the smerc.

2499 tris in the pics, although i made a few changes to my current save, mainly taking the edges off the rocket launchers to round it off a bit.

Pics of Heli Removed for now!!

So, now im asking the ut2k4 players what they think now that ive been showing the modellers for a while. IMO the raptor and manta look kinda toyish so maybee it fits in after all hehe. With a texture it should look better, but point out any model parts that bother you.

yayayayay just a few more days till i get those lovely vtms that will take weeks to watch!!!!!!!!

Heres the jeep pics added now, I dont know if it will get guns like planned or just be transport, i think just having a 4 seat vehicle would be cool.

EDIT Jeep pics UPDATED 24th of march

BLUUDTH|RSTA
11th Mar 2004, 06:49 PM
Wow, looks great so far, I love the idea of a two person Flying object.

Consider using UT2004 rockets for the Co Pilot position, to reduce chances for over balancing. Or other options, as I think balancing is the most important issue when introducing a item into a game.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
What about a flying vehicle where the Co-Pilot actually has a chair OUTSIDE the vehicle, on one side only? (a 1 sided passenger turret would add to the difficulty using it, hence balancing, and it would make it really interesting) Like a Heli with the gunner on the left or right side having a turret but actually sitting OUTSIDE. THis would enable a smaller or more SHLEEK looking heli. Ideas ideas. Ill try and draw one. You know what I mean?

BLUUDTH|RSTA
11th Mar 2004, 07:30 PM
More ideas.

Why not make the both the pilots external, so there is no inclosing window, chop the whole front section off, so the two pilots are still in those seets but legs dangling so to speak. THis would give a MENACING look to the vehilce, to have two players chasing you down, with then ability to reach out and slap you.

THIS could allow the CO-pilot or both PILOTS to use weapons he/they already has, ie flak, mini, shock, goo, DEEMER, so there by needing to RELOAD. REALOAD is a good idea.

And consider having the vehicle with the LINK gun or a variant. THis would make it super UT2004ish. Even dual LINK guns would be sick! Imaging, a flying vehilce that could heal vehilces as well as deal death. So consider replacing the mini guns with the link guns.

I guess Im trying to come up with some ideas to help make the vehilces look less BF1942 or more Unrealish if ya know what I mean.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
OH NO...its happeneing again! My brain is working overtime with ideas. Perhaps I should endevour to make my own vehilce. I shouldnt burden you with all these ideas, one the dam of ideas is flowing, there is no stopping me. Is it easy to model?

Major-Lee-High
11th Mar 2004, 11:19 PM
Well its pretty easy to model its just learning the program and learning all the tricks thats hard, gotta know what can be done and what shouldnt or cant too hehe. Im still a noob :P

Those are some good ideas :) A healing vehicle, flying or ground would be awsome. I dunno if ill change the heli up too much cause im getting tired of messing with it and want to start on a few other vehicles and finish the jeep (pics still comming of it). I had already thought about something similar to what the cobras had in GIJOE that had external seats too sorta, one of my friends posted some pics of a few helicopter toys from the series and i think im gonna make it next (cool apache looking thing that would fit in perfect), depending on how well these two go i may make a whole bunch lol.

For the passenger bomb, it wont be as strong as a redemer at all so it should be ok i just want it to be controlable, it will prolly be more like a goliath shell with a long reload time. I wasnt even going to add a gun for the passenger at first and just have it for a ride hehe.

The jeep needs alot of ideas for it, cause it looks like a jeep still (which isnt that bad but still :P). I think besides the landing part and a few tweaks the heli will be good with a texture and ingame working. Im really just making these to get in game asap to learn how, plus to hopefully advance my scripting skills past a few easy weapons muts :\

BLUUDTH|RSTA
12th Mar 2004, 01:11 AM
Awsome.

Whilst I was in my lecture I was think about some other ideas. GOO COPTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like a crop duster, have the ability to dust people underneath with GOO!!!! Or drop a big GOO drop for a payload! Fwaaaaaaaaaar! Be awsome to take out nodes, have to hover over it and drop the goo.

Major-Lee-High
12th Mar 2004, 03:39 AM
Goo tank :P

With alt fire :D

NATO_chrisjm
12th Mar 2004, 05:28 AM
I think it shoud be much more block like, it does look a bit toyish, But it still looks really good !!!

Major-Lee-High
12th Mar 2004, 05:43 AM
Yeah i know where you comming from, i started it out as a semi accurate to the real thing model then changed it up, next time i wont do that lol. I may do taht a bit, although i had some comments about it being blocky already (i assume they meant the tail and rockets lol).

The next heli i have planned to make (im lazy and dont finish things though sometimes ;)) is very blocky similar to teh commanche, but its a gijoe toy that looks like it would fit right in ut2k4 as is hehe :)

BTW, imo the second seat in the hellbender and the scorpoin main guns kinda suck and i was thinking about changing them when i first got the demo. A LinkGun on the scorpion instead of its main gun and a Goo Gun for the second hellbender seat would rule :) Maybee ill do that as a mutator :P

BLUUDTH|RSTA
12th Mar 2004, 06:02 AM
Here check these out.
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~wwwbbot/GIJOE/1.jpg
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~wwwbbot/GIJOE/2.jpg
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~wwwbbot/GIJOE/3.jpg
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~wwwbbot/GIJOE/4.jpg

Sett
12th Mar 2004, 01:58 PM
GO JOE!
Here check these out.
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~wwwbbot/GIJOE/4.jpg

YA that's the one!

Now someone make a Baroness model....mmmmmm.

Bang Yr Head
12th Mar 2004, 02:19 PM
GO JOE!

YA that's the one!

Now someone make a Baroness model....mmmmmm.

ya thats definitely a really nice one to do. make sure players can actually go into cargo area too, that would be totally badass!

Major-Lee-High
12th Mar 2004, 04:17 PM
Thats the exact one im speaking of :) the red heli hehe. Depending on how well the heli flys it may be the next thing i start, not going to make it exactly like tht but its going to be the concept for it. I also have a pic of a range rover type thing i found while looking for the jeep pics that i may make too hehe. It all depends on how these two go and what i decide to do with em, make a mod or just make em for maps, or start/join a mod dunno still tossing so many ideas around :)

I want my 150 hours of vtms!!!!

_Dark_Rusty_
12th Mar 2004, 09:59 PM
I came up with a concept idea for a tank that would make the leviathan look like ya mums volvo :) I call it the Mammoth tank, driver controls twin cannon turret with primary fire, secondary fire fires missiles that lock on to airborn targets, machine guns at front & back for a 2nd & 3rd player too control, & a link gun on top of turret for 4th player, & players couild hitch a ride on the guards of the tank treads. Or alternatively drivers primary fire fires twin cannons sequential for quicker rate of fire, secondary fires them at the same time for a more powerful sudden burst, while 4th player controls rockets & link turret, link would be only secondary type of fire.

_Dark_Rusty_
12th Mar 2004, 10:02 PM
oh & anything even slightly resembling that red heli would be totally bad ass

BLUUDTH|RSTA
12th Mar 2004, 11:00 PM
I came up with a concept idea for a tank that would make the leviathan look like ya mums volvo I call it the Mammoth tank, driver controls twin cannon turret with primary fire, secondary fire fires missiles that lock on to airborn targets, machine guns at front & back for a 2nd & 3rd player too control, & a link gun on top of turret for 4th player, & players couild hitch a ride on the guards of the tank treads. Or alternatively drivers primary fire fires twin cannons sequential for quicker rate of fire, secondary fires them at the same time for a more powerful sudden burst, while 4th player controls rockets & link turret, link would be only secondary type of fire.

You guys must remember that if your going to add anything into the game and you wont it to be popular, practical and not overbearing, you must make it BALANCED!

DARK RUSTY, even though that tank sounds MULTI COOL!!!!! I hold grave fears for its application in UT2004. I would be unstoppable, unbalanced and totally overbearing within any map.

Even that RED GIJOE helicopter would be too overbearing, unless you use your imagination and bring it down to a balanced medium. If it had rockets and dual mini's and carry people, what would stop it? Unless the mini's could only aim from the direction of the Heli, or you rreplace them with Linkguns.

BALANCED is the most important aspect of anything you wish to introduce into the game, otherwise players will discard them.

Do you agree?

Major-Lee-High
13th Mar 2004, 02:41 AM
Well, i think having super vehicles is perfectly fine as long as they dont respawn every 10 seconds and theres not one at every base. I plan on making any that i make alot stronger than the ones in the demo, at least against infantry weapons, other vehicles will take em out good.

I dont even play ons anymore, i stick to AS, just because of the fact that every vehicle is dead meat if your in close combat... Manta is hit and run, i dont even look at the raptor anymore, havent been in a scorpion for a while, i just get in a hellbender or goliath and go hide right outside of my targets fog distance and zoom in. Just one guy with a link gun can take either out with no problem if hes close, goliath turret moves too slow (although ill jump in secondary usually, but still sometimes it doesnt help) and the hellbender you really only get one or two full blasts with 3rd gun, a good combo from secondary will get em sometimes too (close range is teh ONLY use ive seen that used for).

IMO the vehciles should drive fear into the infantry instead of laughter. Strong armor and lotsa health, but then to balance it LONG respawn times to make healing them more iportant, as is i just assume die in it and go get it again than heal them.... Most likely the reason they didnt do that in the game and made em easy to kill is hijacking, i can just see the other team taking your hellbender and keeping it healed up so you never get it again lol. That should be part of the game though.... Makes hijacking more of a stratagy.

Anything airborne is going to be hellbender bait imo anyway :P i love taking out raptors in the 3rd seat gun. Plus if i make a few air vehicles ill most likely make a ground vehicles with anti air weapons (leviathon has those) and airborne vehicles with antivehicle weapons will be able to take ground targets out (and air ones too) pretty easy. Need some good dogfight vehciles, im hoping the main gatlin guns on the heli will be good for that.

{ME}
13th Mar 2004, 03:46 AM
i agree with taking off the front window.. plus it would make the driver/passenger a little more vulnerable so that the person doesnt have to have AVRiL or something like that to take it down. they could maybe just shoot a few shock rounds into the cockpit :p

also, i think a boat vehicle would be sweet :p or possibly a big cargo airplane that could hold people and/or a vehicle in it.. i think that would be really sweet. make a hhuuuge map, but have these carrier airplanes that can carry raptors and stuff in it.. make it like a bunch of islands.. you can take boats from island to island.. helicopters from island to island.. or you can even transfer vehicles using the big air carriers :p just ideas.

that helicopter is sweet lookin though, GJ

_Dark_Rusty_
13th Mar 2004, 05:05 AM
You guys must remember that if your going to add anything into the game and you wont it to be popular, practical and not overbearing, you must make it BALANCED!

DARK RUSTY, even though that tank sounds MULTI COOL!!!!! I hold grave fears for its application in UT2004. I would be unstoppable, unbalanced and totally overbearing within any map.

Even that RED GIJOE helicopter would be too overbearing, unless you use your imagination and bring it down to a balanced medium. If it had rockets and dual mini's and carry people, what would stop it? Unless the mini's could only aim from the direction of the Heli, or you rreplace them with Linkguns.

BALANCED is the most important aspect of anything you wish to introduce into the game, otherwise players will discard them.

Do you agree?

true, true. I thought this myself, I just have a wild imagination & a fixation with big things that can blow alot of **** up :) just an idea.

NATO_chrisjm
13th Mar 2004, 07:28 AM
*me clicks fingers ....*

Anyone fancy making some Warhammer 40K tanks as a mod :p

Major-Lee-High
13th Mar 2004, 10:36 AM
I never played that game :P

Boats would be cool, but there wouldnt be enough water in most maps. If the maps can be tons biger than in ut2k3 then it may be possible but i doubt it, well see. I made some boats for BF1942 (well a boat and a wave runner ;)) that i could finish and put in, but i decided not to at least yet, if anything ill make a hovercraft or a land vehicle that can ride on water.

I dunno about removing the window on this heli, i may try that out though. I was kinda going for the ut version of the oh-6 kinda like the hellbender is the ut hummer :P a ut blackhawk would rule too hehe.

Ill try to post jeep pics tonight too, i messed with it a bit but its still in need of work heh, need to make it a good tire model and lower its polys by about 2k lol, so i can add more stuff to it..

Major-Lee-High
13th Mar 2004, 02:35 PM
Jeep pics added.

NATO_chrisjm
13th Mar 2004, 02:43 PM
Ohh very nice :D

What program is that ? 3D max ?

Major-Lee-High
13th Mar 2004, 02:44 PM
Yes :)

But when i get ut2k4 i think im going to learn maya with the vtms.

NATO_chrisjm
13th Mar 2004, 02:50 PM
*shivers*

I hate that program ... Hay sign into MSN. NATO want chat!

Major-Lee-High
13th Mar 2004, 03:06 PM
Ill be on later, gotta do some stuff for a bit hehe.

_Dark_Rusty_
13th Mar 2004, 06:23 PM
Most likely the reason they didnt do that in the game and made em easy to kill is hijacking, i can just see the other team taking your hellbender and keeping it healed up so you never get it again lol.

I did something like that last night, this guy was near central powernode healing a tank, he was in between the powernode & the tank, I came from the farside of the tank, somehow I sneaked up on him in a Hellbender & actually nudged the tank with the hellbender, got out got in the tank, ran him over before what was going on :lol: .

BLUUDTH|RSTA
14th Mar 2004, 12:28 AM
*me clicks fingers ....*

Anyone fancy making some Warhammer 40K tanks as a mod

YOUR A FARGGIN GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why didnt I ever contemplate that idea!?

DUDE! Thats brilliant!!!!!!!!!

GAMES WORKSHOP wont make us a Space Marine PC game that would threaten thier board games, so well have to do it for them!

WIKID! RECOGNIZE!

{ME}
14th Mar 2004, 02:52 AM
the jeep model is really cool too. if i was to make a suggestion, it would be to remove the grill from the front and just use a texture for the grill. that grill looks like it takes a lot of polys up

Major-Lee-High
14th Mar 2004, 03:25 AM
I think without the tires its like 3500 or so, and its got alot i could fix on it still as well.

The tires are almost 500 tris a peice lol, they look like crap most of the low polys ways i tried... i may remake them.

I dont know what the polys for the vehicles are, im guessing they use some sort of method. Like how many are in a map at a time, how many seats etc.

Just a few more days and well know :)

_Dark_Rusty_
14th Mar 2004, 03:30 AM
maybe widen the wheelbase so theres less of a chance of it rolling over rough terrain & to maybe give it a lower tougher look, last thing you want is a people mover fully loaded to roll & everybody has to get back in

BLUUDTH|RSTA
14th Mar 2004, 04:47 AM
http://www.users.cloud9.net/~garyo/Landraider.JPG
http://www.thewarp.net/hb/gallery/spacemarines/darren_landraider.gif

Yeah! As if UT2004 doesnt need warbikes
http://www.retribution40k.net/WIP/Disk2/scoutbike3.jpg

Death in alot of armour on legs, bristling with HEAPS of weapons, just make it relly slow and super tough! Im talkin DUEL AVRiL lauchers on one arm, and dual mini guns on the other, and on the top, a 8 Spider mine laucher, or 3 flak cannons spread in a different angles.. UNSTOPPABLE. Just make it REALLY slow.

http://www.saaripirtti.net/upload/eetsa/kuvat_galleria/dreadnought_front.jpg

BLUUDTH|RSTA
14th Mar 2004, 05:03 AM
TEACH me how to make these things? What programs do I need? Help me out, Im dead keen now.

NATO_chrisjm
14th Mar 2004, 01:51 PM
GAHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OLD LR !! NOOO !

http://www.danscott.20m.com/images/HadrionLandRaider.jpg

http://www.avalon-spiele.de/Images/SM/Space%20Marine%20Land%20Raider%20Crusader.jpg

Thats more like it :p

Zarkazm
14th Mar 2004, 02:55 PM
I like the old LR. But if you want to go WH40K, why not Titans? Imagine a huge coloss with powerful arm and shoulder turrets and individually destructible body parts. That would rock. :D

Major-Lee-High
14th Mar 2004, 04:25 PM
http://www.users.cloud9.net/~garyo/Landraider.JPG

Wow thats definatly gotta go on my list of things to do :P

What is that? a wh40k vehicle?

As for modelling, if you ordered the se there is a full disk of tuts on modding that cover some vehicle making with maya i think. If you didnt get teh se goto 3dbuzz.com and sign up. Gotta get a retarded star to download vtms now though.... their video training rules though.

_Dark_Rusty_
14th Mar 2004, 10:59 PM
yeah that tank would definately be good, & the walking ones a good idea but how hard would it be to get something to walk like that in ut2k4, especially with the physics, goliath sends hellbenders flipping over with its turret, what would happen to a walking vehicle?

Major-Lee-High
15th Mar 2004, 12:09 AM
Players walk? lol

It shouldnt be too hard to do, i think there are mechs in ut2k3 already.

NATO_chrisjm
15th Mar 2004, 12:49 PM
MUhahah !!! MECHS ROCKS !

DAmn my caps

DeaJae
16th Mar 2004, 03:26 AM
If someone makes a transporter type Helicopter, would it be a good idea to make it 'pick up' 1 vehicle as well?

Im getting bored of driving the tank halfway across the map :)

Major-Lee-High
16th Mar 2004, 02:10 PM
Well, from what i read BFV has it so you can lower a chain, a tank can drive into it and be moved around.

I wouldnt do that myself, if i make something like that its gonna be a halo styled dropship with a scorpion on the tail or something similar.

{ME}
20th Mar 2004, 09:29 PM
now that the game is out how are those vehicles coming :D i cant wait to see them in action

Major-Lee-High
22nd Mar 2004, 09:48 PM
Well glad you asked :) First post updated with jeep pics!!

Watched all the vehicle vtms except the coding one, im gonna wait on that untill i get the jeep skinned and rigged properly.

Worked on the jeep almost ALL day today, first day i havent played ut2k4 (so far :P) since i got the full. I deleted almost the whole thing lol, now its tri count is good 3317. Im going to add side steps still, maybee a gun although i dont think so, i may make other versions of it later though with weapons.

Its lower poly (other was 7k!!!) and looks better, plus it has everything i planned to add atm. I was shooting at 4-4500 tris so i have lots left to add with, although its right at about what the ut2k4 ones are so.

Crits welcome hehe!!!

{ME}
22nd Mar 2004, 10:38 PM
i just cant wait to play some new vehicles :p the current vehicles are boring except for the manta.. the raptor is kinda fun, but it gets killed fairly easily IMO. the manta is fun cuz its so fast and easy to maneuver... make your helicopter easy to handle :D i want a vehicle where i can just cruise around noobin it up, running people over :p

Major-Lee-High
23rd Mar 2004, 12:40 AM
Well im not working on the heli till after i get the jeep done, im curious to how easy the heli will be too do at all.

I wanna get a bit of vehicle work under the belt before trying at all.

Major-Lee-High
24th Mar 2004, 05:21 PM
http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v105/TRyanD/Smileys/bump.gif

Updated with my early texture work on the wheel. I suck so i ned crits/help on it.

Its gonna be a bitch doing the whole thing >_<

{ME}
24th Mar 2004, 11:57 PM
its good lookin so far, though why did you make it so brown? i think a black wheel would look better.. i guess the brown could be seen as mud or something, but what happens when you play that jeep on a snow map :p

Major-Lee-High
25th Mar 2004, 08:29 PM
Well i woulda made it black but i looked at the hellbender wheel and it was all brown like that too, so i just tried to mimic what they did hehe.

Plus it will help make it less realistic looking, since the whole things basically a real jeep.

BLUUDTH|RSTA
26th Mar 2004, 02:52 AM
Holy cow. Thatis looking really good MLHigh.

Major-Lee-High
27th Mar 2004, 12:08 AM

Hope to get some more work done on it over the weekend.

SolaceEternal
5th May 2004, 11:07 AM
....I can't believe this died out. o__o'

...Dude. I think I can help you with this, especially with ideas and balancing. (I can also do textures, too.)

If you're still up to doing this, I'd freaking love to help.

BooGiTyBoY
27th Jul 2004, 04:23 AM
Said it once... and I'll say it again....

Games Workshop is a total beeotch when it comes to their "licensed property." I honestly don't know how the Space Marine models for UT2003 lasted so long without being pulled from the web and the creator slapped with some kind of legal action. :(

Loved their games... hate the fookin' company itself. If you start making something for 2k4 out of something from 40k... just be warned... if they get wind of it you WILL get a "cease and desist." :(

qaz
2nd Aug 2004, 05:19 AM
Can anyone make a Hummer H2 SUT skin or model for UT 2004?
They're similar in shape so I figure it wouldn't be too hard for you experts.
Please? I tried other forums but they all said the H2 is ugly. Would really appreciate it if you did. :)

_Lynx
9th Aug 2004, 06:24 AM
We need a cargo raptor, able of lifting a tank =) BTW I like the GOO tank idea...