PDA

View Full Version : Mapping community & forums

Bot_40
9th Mar 2004, 06:07 PM
The mapping forums haven't been the most active for the last 2 years or so, but there's been some quite quality maps released recently and UT2k4 seems like it will hopefully revitalise the community.
I think it would be a decent idea to post some news mentioning that the map forums are a good place for discussion, map feedback and help etc. and hopefully liven the place up.
Don't forget to mention that many professional mappers also only got that far that quickly because of feedback these forums ;)
(Then we might also get some new peeps in Other Stuff aswell!)

Zlal
9th Mar 2004, 06:45 PM
They has also drove many people insane, and given many people lots of laughs.
Two qualities you can't miss out :)

Bot_40
9th Mar 2004, 08:02 PM
Hey what are YOU doing here? OMG OUTSIDER ALERT! :p

MassChAoS
9th Mar 2004, 08:45 PM
Or the people from Other Stuff can come out of their hole and post something in the Mapping forums...

AMmayhem
9th Mar 2004, 10:16 PM
Maybe sometime we could have our own NC mapping contest, though I don't know what the prize would be... :con:

Twrecks
10th Mar 2004, 01:16 AM
We don't have any swag, or server to playtest the maps online.
I'm sure QAPete already throws in just to keep BU online, Whatever we offer will have to be ante'd by someone generous. I donate my time for lack of funds and would gladly review said winner, given they consider that a prize :p
If you old timers remember: I once ran a "Name that BOT" series, spewing a review to the first correct response... What a tragedy that was.
If NC does have a mapping contest I sure hope we have something decent as the award... If we did it now, it could be a copy of UT2k4? That's only like 40 bucks plus 10 for shipping. I'd almost be willing to spring for that myself, actually I am :) , I should say "for someone else" heh. If we could set it up with QAPete, perhaps take a collection using BU's paypal set up? I'd flip in a sawbuck ($10) to get it going :tup:

Bot_40
10th Mar 2004, 06:34 AM
Well a compo sounds like a decent enough idea. Just don't have it going for a while though since unreal playground are starting an onslaught compo as soon as 2k4 comes out, then there is phase 3 of msu aswell.
I might be able to throw in a bit of cash but I'd have to wait for my next student loan installment to come through!

Nahand
10th Mar 2004, 08:04 AM
I always found the UP mapping contests one of the big plus for its popularity. That and the servers running site customs... not that i even entered a contest; it sure would be good to have NC3 doing such contests as well.

In quake community, there's a site (func_msgboard, i think) that does "speed mapping". They give a solid theme/idea of what to do or what to follow, then it's up with the mappers to work around it in 1 week (i think).
The main focus of such a thing is to keep quake1 rolling, with great (and also not so) maps, both MP and SP, no matter the wackyness of some weekly themes.
NC3 could do something alike, or like PU does, both, or a mix of it. In any way, i think the community would always be beneficiated and NC3 would get more attention 'in a regular basis'.

I do agree, if this goes ahead, that it should be after MSU, and definitly "articulated" (if/when possible) with UP contests. Last thing we could want to do is to dismember the community.

'...oh, should i map for UP contest or NC3's ?...'

Just MHO...

Hourences
10th Mar 2004, 08:31 AM
you know, the whole community split up way too much when ut2003 came out
a part moved to up and other sites, none of the sites still are in touch with eachother
how about arranging 1 contest together with up and some others maybe
far wider public too
far more possibilties for prices as well
and you interact eachother back in to the other site again

Mavoric
10th Mar 2004, 10:10 AM
what about a Modding compo :) need more mods :(!!

Hourences
10th Mar 2004, 10:55 AM
takes so much time people effort and organisation that itll likely fail:)

Twrecks
10th Mar 2004, 12:50 PM
'...oh, should i map for UP contest or NC3's ?...'

I was hoping to do something this weekend, UP's won't start until 2k4 is released.

MassChAoS
10th Mar 2004, 01:06 PM
I don't think you guys need much help from me, it can be done without me. Twrecks can handle news and such, so that much is taken care of. If there is anything else needed, let me know.

Nahand
10th Mar 2004, 03:43 PM
I was hoping to do something this weekend, UP's won't start until 2k4 is released.

... i was talking in the long term, but i guess it applies as well...
Ut2004 will be released March 15th ??? Right?...

Still, coming up with a new contest out of nowhere at NC3 would take ppl by surprise... kinda. They wouldn't expect it from NC3. You know, the pshycologic "shock"...

^ man... what a bunch of non-sense. Need rest...

Go ahead if you have some ideas. :) :tup:

Sarevok
10th Mar 2004, 05:40 PM
what about some kind of official NaliCity map pack made by the regulars of NC, it would be for UT2004 of course, I'm willing if anybody else is

AMmayhem
10th Mar 2004, 06:50 PM
what about some kind of official NaliCity map pack made by the regulars of NC, it would be for UT2004 of course, I'm willing if anybody else is

Not a bad idea, something like the Community Bonus Packs, but including maps from NC'ers only... :tup:

Twrecks
11th Mar 2004, 01:49 PM
A UT mapping compo will commence 2nite and submissions will be due Monday. More on the main page soon :tup:

SeeD_already_in_use
11th Mar 2004, 02:17 PM
Isn't that a bit too soon? :o Maybe some more time and people would be able to build better maps or sommit.. at least a month?

Frieza
11th Mar 2004, 02:19 PM
A month mapping time and 2k4 as a price, Ill definately sweat my arse off in ued 2.0 for that! Monday is way too soon indeed :)

Twrecks
11th Mar 2004, 02:46 PM
Monday the 22nd then.

Frieza
11th Mar 2004, 03:23 PM
better :D
Though one week and a couple 'o days still isnt very much time to produce ownage material :)

Sarevok
11th Mar 2004, 03:42 PM
fellow mappers get your asses in gear! :D

Frieza
11th Mar 2004, 04:00 PM
Waitin for the starting sign :D

Mavoric
14th Mar 2004, 02:48 PM
you could put out a donations box on the home page and try and get servers for the games which only play the best Custom Maps. Like the Magical Forest Ones on UT2K3. Can anywhere show me some good Magical Forest textured maps?
Got ut2k3 today :D!!
Am sure you would get quite a bit of donations!

Zlal
16th Mar 2004, 05:24 PM
you got ut2003? is there really much point in that? :P

Sarevok
16th Mar 2004, 06:24 PM
you got ut2003? is there really much point in that? :P

LOL yah I know, UT2004 will be out very soon Mavoric, you should of waited dude :)

OO7MIKE
17th Mar 2004, 02:23 AM
Or the people from Other Stuff can come out of their hole and post something in the Mapping forums...

OMG!! There is another hole???????!!!!!!

MassChAoS
17th Mar 2004, 10:35 AM
Unfortunately.

Mavoric
17th Mar 2004, 02:37 PM
yeh but 5.5gb is a bit too much for my computer

Nahand
17th Mar 2004, 04:03 PM
It is something for my current PC HD size too. But don't make me think you bought UT2003 at mere 3 or 4 days of the release of UT2004 just because of HD space! o_0

[DF]phalanx
17th Mar 2004, 04:15 PM
yeah nali city has been quiet
5.5 gig HD space
its gettin rediculously big now

i think we should wait for the big NC competition afterall not all of us have the game i say give it 2 weeks
give me a nod when your ready so i can put it up in the news

Sarevok
17th Mar 2004, 05:08 PM
so uh when is this competition gonna officially start?!

MassChAoS
17th Mar 2004, 05:40 PM
The competition needs some prizes...

Nahand
17th Mar 2004, 06:40 PM
i thought was already decided UT2004 would be the prize...

AMmayhem
17th Mar 2004, 06:41 PM
i thought was already decided UT2004 would be the prize...

Yeah, but there's been some funding issues... :hmm: We're working on it though.

Nahand
17th Mar 2004, 06:48 PM
... i see...

darth_weasel
18th Mar 2004, 05:05 AM
i dont know about making ut2004 the prize, most people big enough on the game to map for a competition will have bought it/have it preordered/will buy it real soon anyways

how would donations/funds for the prizes be taken anyways, paypal or something?

Frieza
18th Mar 2004, 09:01 AM
Humm.. I havent bought it yet since this competition would take place. Besides, I wouldnt mind having 2 copies of 2k4 :D

Bot_40
18th Mar 2004, 09:33 AM
I notice 2k4 has only been out a few days and there are already 4-5 people posting on the forums that I haven't seen before. Life in the community! :tup:

Mavoric
18th Mar 2004, 10:36 AM
am glad assault is back :)

Sarevok
18th Mar 2004, 11:38 AM
since I'll also be buying UT2004 very soon, how about a top of the line graphics card for the prize?

Bot_40
18th Mar 2004, 11:42 AM
if you can pay for it, then ya :)

Frieza
18th Mar 2004, 12:10 PM
:D How about a top of the line PC, even better
The DVD edition of 2k4, I bet theres not too many ppl that have it? But Im prolly wrong :D

MassChAoS
18th Mar 2004, 12:38 PM
If any of you wish to to provide the prize directly, talk to Twrecks. The paypal method has not presented itself as an option, yet.

[DF]phalanx
18th Mar 2004, 03:51 PM
i got a question
if the contest is UT2004 y would the prize be UT2004

Sarevok
18th Mar 2004, 03:58 PM
i got a question
if the contest is UT2004 y would the prize be UT2004

I thought it was a UT mapping competition?!

Twrecks
18th Mar 2004, 04:44 PM
It will be a UT mapping compo.
Soon.
I don't have a copy of 4 yet myself, and I know not everyone will have purchased a copy by the timw this gets underway.. Obviously ppl who want a copy and can map for UT will enter.
That's who the contest is for :tup:

UnrealGrrl
19th Apr 2004, 01:40 PM
what ever happened to the contest idea? there have been a good number of new releases since ut2004 came out and there seems to be morer activity than before, i know the MSU contest will of course be to priority in most peoples minds but id love to see the mapping community make a bigger splash! playing custom maps is really what got me hooked on UT in the first place and theres so much more potential now then there ever was. also the idea of a NC mappapck is a good one too...

Sarevok
19th Apr 2004, 02:53 PM
yah any news on the contest, hell I'd enter even if there's no prize

Mavoric
20th Apr 2004, 10:31 AM
if you make an entry fee :P then the people who are mapping would probably try to make the maps as gd as possible. So then there will be some really fun maps. But then theres the problem if neone would pay :O. Just an idea ;)

MassChAoS
20th Apr 2004, 03:45 PM
hmm, Twrecks.... is mia in game land, I think.

UnrealGrrl
22nd Apr 2004, 06:06 PM
hmmm didnt know if this was already posted (didnt see it) or deserving of its own thread, but check out the mapping contest over at http://www.ut2004maps.com/

The winners will receive an FX-53 AMD 64 Bit Chip - A Chenbro Gaming Case and a ATI Radeon 8900 Video Card! All interesting mappers will be given plenty of time to finalize their maps as the contest will procede for a whole month! Good Luck!

looks good!