Shuttle PC

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BobTheFearlessFish

Jun 2, 2000
Nottingham, England
Im looking to upgrade my computer. and as im now at uni and doing a lot of moving around, ive been looking at the shuttle XPC cases as a base for it. you can see them over at www.shuttle.com. ive been looking at this one http://us.shuttle.com/specs_access.asp?pro_id=439 though im open to suggestions.

i dont want to hear the stuff ive been getting in IRC about full size cases being better, i have a full size case, i cant drive, and i travel by train a lot. i need something portable. this is a much cheaper solution that a laptop, and runs on standard PC components.

what i do want to know is if there are any known issues with these cases. if anyone knows of anywhere that has reviewed them. i would like to get a pretty fast processor and graphics card in there, will this cause too much heat buildup?

oh. and a last thing. before anyone makes the obvious comment i dont need to lug my monitor around. there seems to be an abundance of monitors everywhere i go.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Personnally, i'd stay away from non-ATX from factors for personal computers. But if you need something portable, it seems to me that this is a good alternative.

Full tower are not so good if you do not fill them properly. Air flow will become turbulent inside and won't be efficient for good cooling. Many full tower desing are very bad. I had 2 when I worked as sysadmin I had named "The HD killers"...

But in your case, I'd be a little worried about heat. Make sure the cooling ranting for the case is sufficient for the dissipated heat of the CPU and vid card you want. I'd go for ATI instead of Nvidia and Intel instead of AMD only for the heat considerations (both Nvidia and AMD generate much more heat the ATI and AMD). But such choices (especially if you wan't to speed recent products) will cost significantly more.

meeba

lurking drop bear
Nov 28, 2000
uk
ive built 2 shuttles so far, a mid level one just for browsing mp3s etc, and the other was full on everything maxed

there are some heat issues with the latter, but modding a blowhole in the top of the chassis solved that...you'll find the cpu runs a lot cooler than the case temp due to the (excellent) heatpipe cooler

havent had any problems, they are pretty nifty lil machines

lian do a shuttle sized case but with two 5 inch bays which looks quite handy

my main pc is a water cooled mid sized tower though, the others i build on request (and in the case of the shuttles, whoses hands are too big)

yeah anyways, two thumbs up for shuttles

BobTheFearlessFish

Jun 2, 2000
Nottingham, England
thanks a lot crowze, and meeba. when (if?) i do this i will certainly be trying to contact you meeba. you seem to know what you are talking about.

i chose the one i did because it has a 250 watt psu. would i be able to get by on 200watt only? i might want to run it with 2 hard drives instead of a hard drive and a floppy and so the extra power might come in handy.

what sort of motherboard does the lian case take? i was reassured by the wide range of motherboards avaliable for these small cases, and by the companys reputation for making good motherboards.

Last edited:

meeba

lurking drop bear
Nov 28, 2000
uk
the 200w psu is fine even with twin raptor raid setup plus a 9700 pro (2.6 gig cpu running at 3 gig)

if you can, get the 250w though - it'll run a bit cooler since it wont be under stress so much

any questions me icq is 4377656 (im in the uk though so mind yer timezone ;))

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
Any new Thermaltake Case + Thermaltake's super-stupid Carry sling = portable case a go go.

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
It looks so stupid that nobody would steal because they'd be afraid of catching stupid from it.

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
BobTheFearlessFish said:
ok jaunty. i just looked it up. thats terrible. why would you suggest that? even as a joke? why jaunty? why?

Because I'm a bad bad man.

That, and you're the sort of yuppie scum who'd by one :p (Or so I'm told)

ragingsamster

oldfartis nongratis
Jun 4, 2001
Washington
Visit site
I've been pretty suprized with how stout the shuttle's 200 watt PSU has been reported to be. If I were in the market for a luggable, that's what I'd get, but modding the case would be high on the list of activities, my AIW9700Pro stays cool with a zalman z80, but I don't think it would fit in there. I'd prolly mod the side and top of the case to let the graphics card's stock fan have some fresh air to breath. My Antec case is hardly portable - heaviest case I've had so far - but there's lots of room for airflow. I've heard very good things about the Shuttle's heat pipe HSF, I don't know if an all-in-wonder card would fit in there, but if it did, you could use the PCI slot for ATI's new HDTVwonder PCI card(due out next month) and have an awesome home theatre rig that'll play the latest games.

BobTheFearlessFish

Jun 2, 2000
Nottingham, England
well. i just ordered all the stuff. pretty much all ill be moving from this case is the modem, cd drive and floppy drive. the rest is all new...

the best bit is this though. my order of the shuttle case/motherboard. hard drive, processor. video card. and ram. all weighs in at just under 6KG. hopefully this should be a very portable machine.

meeba

lurking drop bear
Nov 28, 2000
uk
gl ;)

the shuttle carry bags are pretty sturdy, and fit the shuttles like a glove (as to be expected)

btw for the ultimate 'carry around pc' have a look at this ;)

meeba

lurking drop bear
Nov 28, 2000
uk
overclockers have them (dont seem to be in stock right now) but ive seen em at a few other sites too - got one bundled with the first shuttle i built though