PDA

View Full Version : Need Help to finish a UT model!!!!

[G]aNgstA
8th Mar 2004, 05:34 PM
How do i set the default teem colors on the chest and legs!!!!! & wut Modeling program can i use to make UT 2003 models with :D

[SAS]Solid Snake
8th Mar 2004, 07:02 PM
UT 2003 modelsMax or Maya. Other 3D modellersmay have to convert to their formats, as Epic have released toolsets for Max and Maya.

How do i set the default teem colors on the chest and legsYou usually have 3 sets of skins. One is default, one is red and one is blue. There is a naming scheme which UT uses to tell the difference between them.

[G]aNgstA
8th Mar 2004, 07:13 PM
Hey solid srry but i dont understand

[SAS]Solid Snake
8th Mar 2004, 11:55 PM
I'm not sure what you don't understand. Anyways heres an explanation of all of the above.

3DSMax and Maya are professional 3D modelling kits. GMax is Kinetix's 'free' modeling package and I think Maya has a learning edition. Purchasing 3DSMax or Maya is not a cheap affair, with each one costing a few grand each on their own. There are other free 3D modelling programs or cheap modelling programs such as Milkshape or Blender. Now, Max or Maya have their own respective formats which are not interchangeable with each other or any other programs unless you convert them. Some formats are universal such as ASE, 3DS which are supported by almost all good 3D modelling packages. Now, Epic have already created tools to allow seamless importation from 3DSMax or Maya to the Unreal engine (ActorX which allows Max -> Unreal). There are no sepcific modelling packages for a single game. Quake 3, UT, UT2003 and most other 3D games all used 3DSMax or Maya to create their models. It's like using paint to create images for all sorts of things.

Skins, basically models have skins which are UV wrapped around them to make them appear more detailed. UT has 3 separate skins, which only differ in colours. Difference in colours I mean by that their shoulder pads, one is blue while the other skin is red for example. The face and any other non-team references are the same. Basically Unreal uses a name non-specific technique to tell the difference between the skin types.
Say your default skin was called 'myskin' , then Unreal may use 'myskin_red' for team games if the model is on the red team. Because the initial name is still part of the name, you don't need to bother referencing the team colour skins as all you need to do is append '_red' or '_blue' onto the end. However I cannot remember what it is you append on the end. Try looking that up in the skins packages to find out more about that.

[G]aNgstA
9th Mar 2004, 01:25 PM
ight man thanx lots thanx for helpin if u wana play or sunthin let me now just email me