How to damp the sound of an AMD based computer ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
Which kind of case should I use ?
Any other trick ?
Thx for all kind of answers.
Do some cases of Chieftec, Aopen or Q-Tec provide sound softening/dampening ? These are the kinds I can have for the best price.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Cases generally don't do a lot for soundproofing. You need to get a silent PSU, case fans and professor heatsink/fans, and maybe a silent graphics heatsink/fan. Zalman do a lot of these, although a lot of people swear by Papst fans. Alternatively, you could get a fan speed controller - there's tons to choose from these days.

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
Crowze said:
Cases generally don't do a lot for soundproofing. You need to get a silent PSU, case fans and professor heatsink/fans, and maybe a silent graphics heatsink/fan. Zalman do a lot of these, although a lot of people swear by Papst fans. Alternatively, you could get a fan speed controller - there's tons to choose from these days.

Apparently, the new motherboard asus A7N8X-E Deluxe has already a fan manager integrated with the goal to reduce noise. Could that be enough if I stay with "classic" material (this motherboard, a 3 or 3.2 AMD and a Radeon pro 128).

Maetschikk

aka Schlomo
Nov 5, 2002
Germany
Visit site
For a silent CPU heatsink I recommend the Zalman 7000AlCu. Its not extremly expensive (about 30-35 €) and is reallly quiet.

Click!

They've also got a nice passive cooler for graphic cards. Works even on a Radeon 9800. You can find it: here.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Maetschikk said:
For a silent CPU heatsink I recommend the Zalman 7000AlCu. Its not extremly expensive (about 30-35 ?) and is reallly quiet.

i wasn't aware that heatsinks made any noise. "EEEEE it burns! AAAAH! Not hyperthreading, nooooo!"

Sound dampening isn't particularily my forté, since i have 4 80mm fans, 1 300mm side fan, an 8 year old PSU, and no case.

Maetschikk

aka Schlomo
Nov 5, 2002
Germany
Visit site
Derelan said:
i wasn't aware that heatsinks made any noise. "EEEEE it burns! AAAAH! Not hyperthreading, nooooo!"

damn! you know what I mean! :lol:

If you want to spent a lot of money, you can also get the whole system watercooled. With a large passive cooled radiator and a silent pump you can get your system completely quiet.

The_Pikeman

Also known as Howski
Nov 20, 2001
Caerphilly, Wales
Visit site
Well like most people said you can get silent fans to help reduce the noise or if you want to vary the noise (Ie have optimum cooling for gaming but still be able to turn the noise down) you can get fans that have veriable speeds or you can get a fan controller that sits in the 5 1/4" bay. You can also get sound damping for cases ( http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Case_Accessories_36.html )
-How.

Harry_C

Getting old ... and drunk
Apr 2, 2001
France
Visit site
Baybus or fanbus are really good to adjust the speed of your fans.
Enermax makes good/not so loud psu.
Well, i glued some gedicoustic (sound absorbant for floor/wall) in my cases.
And it helps, a bit ;)

Regarde toujours , y a quelques idées à prendre.

:eek: you have a radeon 128 with a 3Ghz cpu ?

Bushwack

Avenged Sevenfold...
Jul 21, 2003
Ohio, NE
Visit site
My computer {also AMD} has about 7 cooling fans, the damn thing sounds like a miniature helicopter when it starts up :D
My last computer had issues with getting too much heat, which caused one of the Hds and the processor/motherboard to dump on me, so i went hog wild when rebuilding it :p

i wouldnt know how to act if the 'chopper' didnt make any noise when i played Infiltration :D

hmm, woudlnt sound dampening material on the inside of the computer case also lend itself to overheating the components inside though? {had never considered using sounddamp inside the computer}

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Bushwack said:
hmm, woudlnt sound dampening material on the inside of the computer case also lend itself to overheating the components inside though? {had never considered using sounddamp inside the computer}
The PC looses a part of the heat over the metal of the case. Dampening material hinders the temerature disposal so the fans have to do more work which in turn means you need even better/quiter fans. Damping material is not useless though, it just has it's drawbacks.

Maetschikk

aka Schlomo
Nov 5, 2002
Germany
Visit site
Bushwack said:

yeah, you still need a steady stream of fresh air to cool all the stuff on the mainboard and the hard drives. In my Chieftec CS2001 tower two 80mm fans are sitting in front of the 3,5'' mount cages are sucking cool air inside. An additional 80mm fan was build in into the left case door, its also sucking air inside. The PSU (a very quiet "beQuiet 450W") and two 80mm fans are pressing the warm air outside. With those 5 fans I've got a system that gets warm air out and cool air in. All fans are temperature controlled, so its not too loud.

A watercooling system is in my opinion the best solution to keep a high end machine quiet & cool.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
I'd reccommend the Aero 7 Lite for CPU cooling - got it for about £8, silent on low speed and adequately cools my 2500+ @3200+. For graphics cards, I've got an Arctic Cooling VGA silencer - kind of like the Geforce FX colers, but silent. Again, around £8. A lot of noise can be elimintaed, though, by removing any fan grilles, as they restrict airflow quite a lot. Mind your fingers afterwards though ;).

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
Thx for your help so far...
That is basically what I plan to buy around april. May change in case of price drop of CPU or else. I planed to get the Hercules for graphics but they changed to Sapphire for the best price.

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
Processeur AMD AMD-Barton XP 3000+ cooler BOX
Mémoire RAM MEM 3200-400 256 mb KINGSTON x2
Disque dur SATA HITACHI-IBM 120gb 8mb sata-150
Lecteur DVD LG 16/48
Carte GRAPHIQUE ATI-9800-PRO 128mb tv/dvi(SAPPHIRE)
Boitier CHIEFTEC Medium matrix silver+360watts+ USB/1394
Add to this a LG4040B DVD writer.

These are the fans available at this shop (I'm not going to buy online or make more than 3 different shops to build this computer):

AVC certifié 3000+
ENERMAX UC-8FAB pour boîtier(8cm)
TAISOL CGK760172/CGK760098
TAISOL CGK76092
ZALMAN CNPS7000CU
Cooler Spire WhisperRock IV AMD

If you have any advice for this config and/or these fans just here above, you're welcome.

The_Pikeman

Also known as Howski
Nov 20, 2001
Caerphilly, Wales
Visit site
I have some enermax fans (80mm but I'm not sure they are the same) and the veriation between quite and max air is vast and quite easy to controll. at full speed thay are very load but seem to move a hell of alot of air and turened down they are nice and quite. I've also not had one go wrong but then I've only had them just over a year.
-How.