To Bring An Uprising?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead_Metal

I'm something - But I don't know what.
Feb 13, 2004
Don't know about you but PF Prophet has a good idea, email Atari ppl or post on forums in mass quantities to show them the disapproval of the public on the situation with XMP. I'm all about supporting XMP cause well........Its fun, and I like it so much that I will help modders with maps, make maps independently and so on so forth (XMP-Assault, U2:Survival, XMP maps).

So where do you stand? - Are you one to let a corporate industry walk over you? Especially when (while very small) you can effect there business? Hit em where it counts :} THE MONEY BAG!

I'll probably be getting ut2k4 but by all means I will email Atari in a sec. :}

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
In a Nuclear Missile Silo
Can anyone please explain just WHAT Atari is doing that is so bad? I am sorry, but I really don't see why you are complaining. Most PC games DON'T have a ginormous advertisement campaign. And so what if UT2k4 has vehicles too? Soon, every game and it's mother will have vehicles.

I am sad that XMP is dying too (especially since I got back into it. I left after the beta testing for some reason), but that doesn't mean it is necessarily Atari's fault. Remember, regardless of how much we all love Legend, U2 was kinda crappeh (at least from the eyes of an Unreal fan boy). As a result, U2 did not sell that well. That right there will kill something in the eyes of any publisher. XMP is great, but a lot of people don't wanna buy a crap SP for a fun MP (especially since this is very team-oriented)

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
First off, if you know anything about mapping for unreal 2 as I do, u see that they had left many specs of stuff for XMP's original design within it. Second XMP was a good thing, so much so that ppl like myself actually bought Unreal 2 to play it (Unreal 2 isn't that bad, even from a fan boy's point of view). But thats not the issue. Atari helped put this game out -> XMP and when they feel that they need to get UT2004 sales up(when in fact ppl are already lookin forward to getting it) by having a master server for it and then start contemplating on taking down the XMP MS, I have to question that. Especially when ppl have tested the editing devices, began coding, worked their asses off for something that they find a GREAT game only to see that Atari takes and fux0rz it like a dog to a blanket that smells of musty cheese. TY. Not to mention they axe Legend <<<BIG POINT RIGHT THERE. *bows head in reverance*

Atari on a whole may not have bad ppl, but are sure as hell making some bad choices.

[LNS]Jubei

DeMoN HuNTeR
Jan 22, 2004
one_gundam_war said:
so in other words you are angry that they are trying to market their game?

I really don't understand. And most games have stuff cut out from it.

No were pissed cause they are screwing the game up for the community by not having the master server up,if you had some sense you would know that that is wrong,imagine if you just bought unreal 2 package with xmp,install it and want to play online,how pissed would you be if the master server isn't working.If they would pull such stuff with 2k4 they would have a war with the community so don't say that they are just marketing their game by screwing another game up,cause that's bad marketing and not professional for a big company as atari and if they don't want to support the game anymore,that's fine,the community will find ways so that xmp lives on,they just have to give the word and it can be arranged.There are a lot of talented people at developing maps and mods in xmp,that's one thing i noticed and they will not allowe that somebody just f*cks with their hard work.

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
yes, but you know how Rein said that he was going to inquire about that? Why not let him handle this rather than flooding them with (what I can only assume will be) hate mail?

Seriously. Let's just make an example for you guys.
You have two puppies. You only make 5 dollars a week, and it costs at least 2 dollars to take care of each puppy. But one puppy has a very messed up leg and can't run. Now, let's say that if you got rid of one puppy, you could take care of the other dog for 3 dollars (and it would be a lot healthier, shinier, cuter, etc).
So what do you do? Do you allow the healthy puppy to suffer so that the injured one won't? Or do you get rid of one (send it to a nice farm) and let the other live an even better life.

See, it is just good business. Rein has agreed to contact Atari, and that is all we can hope for. And if the master server never comes back, well (correct me if I am wrong), we cna try things like Gamespy Arcade or All Seeing Eye.

Brainiacus

Feb 17, 2004
one_gundam_war said:
So what do you do? Do you allow the healthy puppy to suffer so that the injured one won't? Or do you get rid of one (send it to a nice farm) and let the other live an even better life.
The thing is, XMP won't be going to a nice farm. Killing off the weak so the strong can do better? Nazi. ;)

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
I suggest u look up humanity. That "gimping" dog of yours may not run well but if you take care of it, it will show an end result that one can be proud of. UT2k4 is a powerhouse right now.........money money money - okay, if Atari knew something they could help compromise and help the community with advancements in XMP. oh look, more money X_X - I mean talk about free work, u have professionals out there doing quality work (CBP) for free right? Thank god for the community - Mark Rein has always been my favorite :}

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
and you obviously did not listen to the rest of it.

As Brainiacus so eloquently put it (I like him :p), kill off the weak so the strong can do better. However, in this case it is not hte killing of the weak. It is merely the ignoring.

XMP does indeed have hope. But until we can prove that to Atari (and what better way than to get a lot of people playing or to support it, WITHOUT pissing them off), we are gonna be in the trash, rather than the farm.

And again, it is mere cost-efficiency. Why nurse a wounded creature back to health when you can instead nurture a strong beast.

It is up to us to nurse the wounded creature, not to shoot the strong beast.

Last edited:

[LNS]Jubei

DeMoN HuNTeR
Jan 22, 2004
What's with all the metafores?If only valve supported this game rather then atari all would be fine,look what they did with half life,it's still succesful,rather then killing their weak,poor puppy they nurtured and pet it,atari could take an example of that.

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
Valve has Steam...

I would rather no Master Server than Steam :p

And the metaphores are to put across the point in a semi-unbiased manner. When XMP is involved, we are all unbiased (even I will agree that they are trying to kill it). So instead we use adorable deformed puppies (sweet jebus there is something wrong with me)

[LNS]Jubei

DeMoN HuNTeR
Jan 22, 2004
But what do they actualy have to do at atari to make it work,push a button or two or is it more complicated then that.

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
The reason dear doctor o_g_w

The reason they should support this game, is simple and its surprizing how many ppl miss it. Atari needs the community. They rely on them to buy their merchandise, otherwise they got down. So plzing the crowd is the best thing they can do. While they do this with ut2k4, they don't do this with some of us becuase of what is goin on with XMP. I don't want to say flat out that they hate XMP and trying to kill it and move everyone onto UT2k4, but it really makes u wonder why they seem not to be on the ball about the master server if its an "accident." You seem to be against keeping it alive there One_Gundam_War - why? deep seeded roots of torment and being owned by other players?

zombiewoof

Rokk Fiddler, Farmer
Oct 2, 2003
Oaksterdam, California
Visit site
Cute, lame or otherwise, my ass! That is not the point! The original u2 was a sing/songy half-assed piece of storybook crap with a few tasty bits of corn thrown in. They told us, promised us a multi player add-on for several months. Many of those I did the beta test on. I bought the program! Twice! I've been blathering about it to everyone I know. Learning to map for this game. And now ther's no master server, no support. This is not delivering the full product and I think somebody had it right to turn them into the better business beuro. The particularly stupid thing here is that it is a FINE product and has amazing potential. There is definitly some administrative fecal matter going on here. We'er talking ATARI here folks ferraris and mansions and ****. And they don't push this stuff on the street corner either. We the consumers/participators are just as important as the developers/publishers. :mad:

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
Was it just me or was the first half of that - "Half assed fecal matter" ? - Though the rest of what u say is quite good that first part about the unreal 2 itself being bad, u know, u can't criticize someone properly if you can't do better yourself - ps Space Ships are annoying to map X_X - out.

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
Dead_Metal, you can still criticize people. Just look at half the world criticizing politcal leaders, etc.

And I am not "against keeping XMP alive". I am against pissing off Atari so taht they won't "push the button" as you stated (I am pretty sure that keeping a master server up takes a bit more work than that).

And you say they need the community? That is the point I have been trying to get across the entire time. You have one dying community, and one community that is just starting to come back to life. What would you do? I sure as hell know that I would nurture the strong community. And rather than divide their fanbase (and cut down on possible UT2k5 profits), they can group them all.

I am against the killing of XMP, but I also understand why they are doing this. It is simple business. U2 is a failure in their eyes, so they are trying to do things "right" with UT2k4. It is not a great thing, but all you are going to accomplish by flooding their forums or inboxes is to annoy them even more.
If you perhaps organized a petition or something, THEN they might take notice. But let's face it. Most of us would just send hate mail after hate mail. I know I wouldn't, and I doubt the topic creator would either. But just look at the majority of people online, they are dumbasses. And I sure as hell know that in a situation like this (where killing XMP outright will earn them more cash), the impression we leave is very important.

If they were considering an attempt to kill XMP, and ther was not something like ONS, then yes. I would join in with all of this harrassment (just look at how I have treated Akiva Goldsman since I found out that he was butchering Asimov's masterpiece). But right now an orderly and supportive community is more important. You want them to think "Well, I suppose we can let them keep this. Maybe they can save XMP" rather than "Dear god those guys are morons, kill it now so that we don't have to worry about it later."

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
You realize that killing XMP right off would probably remove faith from quite a few of the community that remain loyal to the Unreal franchise. I like ut2k4, playing its fun, but I get more out of playing one game of XMP then i do playing about 20 DM matches at a time. And that my friend, is what we like to call quality. I've met more ass wholes on UT2k4 over the past week than in my past month or so that I've played xmp. Btw, if Atari wants to help, why don't they just let XMP release as a full free standalone since apparently they don't seem to be making any money off of it for CP nowadays > release it to us to carry forth the XMP idea into new realms of game play.

HOOOO AH!

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
one_gundam_war said:
It is not a great thing, but all you are going to accomplish by flooding their forums or inboxes is to annoy them even more.
If you perhaps organized a petition or something,

A petition has already been done for Legend and no answer came of that. What use is another petition ? Nothing like this has ever happened to any of the master servers on any of the games so why is this happening to XMP ? ... Oh, and thanks for making this debate less one-sided ;) .

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
No problem. I may think you guys are a bit whiny, but I do agree on everything but the method of attack.

And you may have petitioned to retain Legend (which has no chance in hell. More costs plus having to swallow their pride), but why not petition for the master server. Hell, this is the only time I think a petition would help. You need to show that there is a need for the master server.

So rather than whine and say they suck, why not show them that XMP is not going down without a fight. You say that lots of talented mappers are making maps for this? Then have them continue. Help them out if they will let you (I sure as hell know that I would not mind my own personal texture artist when I make UT maps). If you get quality maps out there, that will not only attract people (I reinstalled UT2k3 to play that Helms Deep map), it will show Atari that XMP is still being supported.

And as for many people leaving? Well, if they took down the master server that means we don't have a large enough fanbase to keep them interested. And only a few people will give up every Atari game just because they took down the master server of a dying game. They may say they will, but then it will be a matter of "HOLY ****!! THAT GAME IS SHINY!!!" and they are at least purchasing things again. So if you manage to piss them off (and all the stuff I see being planned in this forum will probably succeed), then they will be a lot less likely to waste the cash to keep the master server up. It might not be too much, but if it will strengthen UT2k4...

Status
Not open for further replies.