PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp...

ProjectX
28th Feb 2004, 05:42 AM
I was just reading the thread about releasing a map pack, and what with the next beta (hopefully) on the horizon, I just wanna know, what maps will feature in the next version?

also, when will the next version be released?

stevenhorton
28th Feb 2004, 09:35 AM
Good question:) The maps I just completed last week are dependent on the new meshes and textures on the new packages, so to play them you have to also download the mapping packs. My current one will also use them. I will probably change the final mesh and texture packs before the next release to include new content. So one, I need to know if anyone has maps that require any specific meshes, so I don't delete them; as well of a general target date for when I need things finalised:)

Shrimp
28th Feb 2004, 10:27 AM
I'd like to maybe aim for a final UT2003 release at the end of March, and after that we'll have two months before the Contest Phase 3 deadline to get UT2004 compatible.

From what I've managed to find out, UT2004 uses a completely different vehicle system, so all of UnWheel's vehicles will also need to be re-done by then, which is going to be a bit of a mission :(. However if we really need to, we can leave the vehicles as they are, we just won't get the improved network performance of UT2004's vehicle system.

As for maps, let me know which versions of all your maps you'd like included. I'll be leaving my own ones from the last Beta unchanged, maybe remove the Jungle Canyon and Icy Canyon maps.

I'm also going to make a web-based uploader to make getting your maps and things online easier...

ProjectX
28th Feb 2004, 10:34 AM
As for maps, let me know which versions of all your maps you'd like included. I'll be leaving my own ones from the last Beta unchanged, maybe remove the Jungle Canyon and Icy Canyon maps.

I'm also going to make a web-based uploader to make getting your maps and things online easier...

Excellent, a web-based uploader!

Maps I'd like put in:

UW-RC-Hilltop
UW-RC-Carribean
UW-RC-November (not out yet)

And any other of my maps (I've left out UW-KOTH-angelfalls and UW-RC-TerminalVelocity2b because I didn't think they were as good, but then again if you think otherwise go ahead and include 'em, at the end of the day it is YOUR decision Shrimp which ones go in or not)

stevenhorton
28th Feb 2004, 12:35 PM
ProjectX, I think you should include TerminalVelocity, but with a few changes. The idea and layout are very good, the only major hangup is the one curve on the vertical plane.

jerdaygo
28th Feb 2004, 01:16 PM
Feel free to include K-Billiards, I also hope to have my UW-RC-Campout track done (!hopefully!) by the end of my spring break, march 10.

Diego1203
28th Feb 2004, 04:01 PM
The only new thing that I'll have done by the end of march will be my rally map, and Steven, I'm not using any of your static meshes right now but I am using one of your door textures in my rally map, I think it's called doordouble in the unwheelmappingtextures package.

carmatic
29th Feb 2004, 06:01 PM
UW-RC-Hilltop
UW-RC-Carribean
UW-RC-November (not out yet)

while in the meantime, i've finished the 3rd chapter of 3dbuzz's vtm on unrealed 3.0 (damn my computer crashed when i was looking at the one about bsp brushes)anyone got any tips on how to get the most out of these vtm's?

Diego1203
29th Feb 2004, 08:29 PM
while in the meantime, i've finished the 3rd chapter of 3dbuzz's vtm on unrealed 3.0 (damn my computer crashed when i was looking at the one about bsp brushes)anyone got any tips on how to get the most out of these vtm's?

The best advice I can give you about mapping is to save often, although you've probably learned that by now, also if you use windows 2000 or xp you will probably crash less. As far as getting the most out of the vtms, I'd say get yourself a dual monitor setup, you can watch a vtm on one while you map on the other, and after your done with the vtms you can have the editor open in one window and your actor/texture/staticmesh browser open in the other, or you can have maya/3dsmax on one and ued in the other, once you go dual monitor you'll never go back.

carmatic
1st Mar 2004, 07:26 PM
damnit if only i can get enough desk space for a dual monitor set up...