Terrain Generator?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
In a Nuclear Missile Silo
Ok, call me lazy, but I am wondering if there is something that will generate those heightmap things while accepting a few simple criteria (like how hilly it is, etc)? Or at least something that will allow me to avoid making it in teh UED3? Heh.

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
If you export a heightmap from Photoshop or whatever, it has to be as a G16 greyscale image - you can change the format in the save options.

Or search for Terragen on Google and download that. You can use it to generate cool terrain maps really easily then export the map to use in Ued :) You can also use it for creating skyboxes.

Dapper_Cad

Feb 29, 2004
try this

I've found editing terrain in UnrealEd is less of a pain if you:

First shrink the terrain, then block out how you want it to look with the terrain tools, the make it full size again, add detail with tools.

I can't seem to get my head round painting a terrain in an art program, never get it how I want it.

Kyouryuu

*roar!*
Dec 17, 2003
Kirkland, Washington
kyouryuu.furvect.com
In a paint program, you can use tools like dodge, burn, smooth, and others to create nice terrain. If you use a lot of the smoothing tool, or Gaussian blur your terrain heightmap, you end up with rolling hills. Otherwise, if you let the harsh pixels stand, you get more jagged terrain. :)

Although you should always blur the edge pixels to some degree.