water shader explination/Tutorial

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
what is "a nice watershader"
a watertexture with this semi reflecting cubemap ?
open an excisting map and look how the shader is set up ? it are only 2 properties, 3 for making it pan, not too hard :)
dont know tut about it, just take the other stuff as example, examples are still the best way to do anything

Thewiruz

Jun 10, 2001
Stockholm
thewiruz.blogg.se
thanks guys !well i still have a problem though.When i take the 6 screenshots for the cubemaps how the heck do i know whats a perfect 90,180,270,320 degrees angel?i mean i have no marks to go at and my cubemaps dont match at all,And another question.Do i take them from the ground or from the sky and down?i cant understand that part :(

i set the UT2003 ini file to show a 512*512 window and typed (Showhud) in the console so i get a 512*512 screenshot but they dont match anyway becuse im not sure how to do it

Last edited:

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
you take by simply standing on 1 spot, dont move while taking the pics
also i believe your numpad has preset buttons for rotating exact 90 degree, try pushing 4 2 5 6 8 etc while you stand in game, it should flip your view around, if you didnt change the default settings that is
any remaining seam can always be photoshopped out as well

Thewiruz

Jun 10, 2001
Stockholm
thewiruz.blogg.se
<Im getting tired of this water **** now!! Shuldnt the cubemaps(6) of them be 1 new texture ? i get 3 small maps now .1 cubemap 1 envmap and one shader .I dont get it ,if i choose the shader as skin for my water it turns white and when i choose the envmap it turns black,what have i done wrong? Is there any better explination on how i creat water for Uengine 2 somewhere else?becuse i find lack of details on the one i read !!

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
The cubemap goes in the envmap as material. The Evnmap then goes in the specular slot of the shader, then specify the shader as the skin for your fluidsurface. If you want a texture as well as the reflection, then put the water texture in the diffuse slot of the shader. You'll also need an alpha map in the opacity slot of the shader to give transparency. Create a constantcolor material and set it's 'A' value to 160 or so, then put that in the opacity slot in the shader. Adjust the value to adjust the amount of transparency - lower number = less transparent, higher number = more.