Comp seems slow...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ninjin

The Franco-Japanese Carrot
Feb 24, 2001
Dalhousie Univ., NS, Canada
my laptop seems to be a bit slower lately... but i dont know why.

Any ideas on how i can bring it back up?

i did a defrag, removed the temp internet files and still have 10Gb of space left on my hard disk...

any ideas would be appreciated.

ninjin

The Franco-Japanese Carrot
Feb 24, 2001
Dalhousie Univ., NS, Canada
SHARP Mebius PC-RD1-C1M (Final Fantasy 11 signature limited edition model, August 2003)

Pentium 4 - 2.24 Ghz
762Mb RAM
C Drive 48.8 Gb
D Drive 7.06 Gb
Windows XP Home Edition
nVidia graphics card
DVD+RW

Hard disk died in december 2003, and got it replaced. Its on almost 24/7 apart from the restart i do every 2 or 3 days, and the occasional 7 hour shutdown.

Last edited:

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
XP Home edition eh... i'd get rid of that first ;)

with such a config, you shouldn't have too many slowdown problems. Do you have an anti-virus that's eating up your CPU time?

Check for spyware and ****

Check for worm and backdoors

Check you memory usage. Since you're running almost 24/7, if you use regularly a program that has memory leakage, after a while, you might be swapping a lot.

FYI, services are programs running in the background and usually give functionnality to the OS. For example, filesharing, internet time synchronisation, DNS client (to resolve domain names) are all services. Some services are there to monitor the os, clean stuff up, etc.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Spyware would sertainly slow the computer down somewhat. Usually when I get frustrated with my computer at home (which I neglect completely) I go through with registry clean up, scan for trojans and spyware, delete stuff and check that I don't have any stupid services runing that I don't need. Also now and then I uninstall all the crap I have been trying out and forgotten about like demo's, small apps etc..
Someday I'll do a complete reinstallation (been saying that for the past year or so...)

//Kee