windows perils

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

w00p

Windows at its best
Is there a way to uninstall windows98 without formatting?
Just so I can reinstall it entirely as if there wasn't any OS yet on the harddisc, but obviously there already are files of FAT32 system.

You see, I want to "format", without losing all files on my HD...

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
That guy above who is not Bill Murray is right.

Also, I think you can convert a disk from FAT32 to NTFS after you've installed XP or 2000. But I'm not sure though.

[C22]-Mort

Retired but wearing the tag with pride!
Aug 18, 2003
Cornwall
www.morte.force9.co.uk
yup....:-

convert [DriveLetter]: /FS:NTFS

will convert to NTFS...if it's your primary system partition then it will be done on next reboot!

for more information type convert /? at command prompt ;)

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
I use to do that all the time. I just boot to dos and rename the key directories.
Windows ->winold
Program Files -> Proold
Documents -> docold
you get the idea

Also any other key directories suchas the ones some CDROM drivers put off the root.

I also rename the autoexec.bat and config.sys.

Before you do all that though I suggest you copy all the cab files and sintall stuff to your HD and install from there. Doing that is faster, The CABs are ready if you make changes later on and you should not have to worry about screwing something up with CD drivers.

Edit: oops missread. Not sure if copying the CAB files for XP is necessary, helpfull, or possible. I only did that with 95 and 98 so if its XP your going with its best to ignor that part.

Last edited:

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
w00p said:
Is there a way to uninstall windows98 without formatting?
Just so I can reinstall it entirely as if there wasn't any OS yet on the harddisc, but obviously there already are files of FAT32 system.

You see, I want to "format", without losing all files on my HD...

w00p, google for "uninstall Windows 98"

The first result I turn up is a Microsoft Knowledge Base article entitled "Uninstalling Windows 98".

w00p

Windows at its best
I'm not converting anything, just uninstalling windows 98 and reinstalling windows 98.
And Mr_Shhh, I've already read that article, and it doesn't work in my copy.
Though I did find that file in windows/command called uninstal.exe
Do I have to run this in DOS or is it enough to run it in windows? since my dos knowledge is non-existant and I probably wouldn't even be able to run a floppy anymore... :p