Sega dreamcast UT MApzz...help.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

demigod387

?! How's YouR HamMeR???? olo.
Feb 25, 2004
NYC
Maybe i'm just being a little sentimental but the 1st. time i ever set eyes on UT was on the DreamCast. My uncle was playing and i was amazed at what i saw.I fell in luv instantly.I goggled many times searching for UT maps converted from the DC version or any type of DC mappack but have done so to no avail.If you know where i can find any of these maps ( mainle CTF-SUNDIAL and CTF_Sepulchre) it would be greatly appreciated. THaNkz.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Could you describe the maps ? Maybe they've been renamed.

demigod387

Feb 25, 2004
NYC
both maps are DC originals i think because they werent released in the ps2 version or the GOTY UT.

CTF-Sundial is a completely symetrical map w/ a small lower hallway leading from the flag to a Z axis then a ramp to the middle where theres a huge column and then the same setup moving domn to the opposite flag.The setting is part dungeon and the middle is aztec like.

CTF-Sepulchre is the same symetrical setup. Both flags at the top of a short staircase with a corrider leading out to the right .Looking straight out from the flag is a wall with a small landing you can tranz to_On the left and right are doorways leading to a hallway with one opening in the middle leading to an enclosed room. In the room is a drop about 3 feet into a smal drench w/ the shieldbelt in the middle and the purple weapon accelertor on a girder in the ceiling.

whewwwwwwww. ok. hope that helps you help me. :)

both are easily the simplest maps in the DC versipn but fun as hell to play.

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
If you have the DC version, maybe you could use some sort of tool to rip the map files directly from the CD and put them in your UT maps directory. Might work, might not.

demigod387

Feb 25, 2004
NYC
Unfortunately i traded my DC and all games sum time ago . However i'm working with my uncle who mapz and we are trying to remember the mapz so he can rebuild from scratch.I can't even find any screenys on google to help with the devlopment.Hope that weed from back in the day didn't mess my memory uo too bad or the map will be veeeeeeeeeeeeery interesting.lol.

the only other way to rebuild those 2 mapz would be to get a used DC and find UT again and i really dont wanna lay out the $ for just 2 mapz.

if you find any screens let me know:

CTF-Sundial
CTF- Sepulchre

thanx :)

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Sadly, almost all of the maps (including the DC exclusives) are in a file format that PC UT cannot use. :(

I did, however, find two files with an extension .unr (UT map) that did work on PC UT. I found DM_BARRICADE_DC.UNR, which appears to be the same as PC DM-Barricade, but I also found DOM_HOOD_DC.UNR, which is NOT part of PC UT! I'll post those two files here, along with a text file of the contents of the DC UT CD.

[ Edit ] First noted difference: Dreamcast's version of Barricade doesn't have the Redeemer, and instead has a UDamage there.

Attachments

• DM_BARRICADE_DC.zip
    449.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DOM_HOOD_DC.zip
    170.2 KB · Views: 36
  • dreamcast_ut_cd_contents.txt
    9.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Are you sure those files are incompatible ? Maybe they've just been renamed or something and they can be opened up in UED.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I've just had a look at that map list and the dat files seem much larger than the corresponding UNR files :/ :

Code:
01/26/2001  03:14 PM         1,173,490 DOM_HOOD_DC.DAT
01/26/2001  11:02 AM           510,631 DOM_HOOD_DC.UNR

I can't imagine why they'd be so big unless it's some form of archiving format that contains maps and textures. I hope encryption of any sort hasn't been used.

Note that the CD has a custom package on it :

Code:
01/22/2001  04:07 PM            74,986 DCEXTRA.U

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
I'll attach a few more files over (such as the ones Fearless mentioned) and I wonder if we can figure out what they are. I've got a hunch that the .dat files are some sort of map + textures package. I only see 2 separate .utx files (which the editor crashes trying to open). I don't know where the audio (.uax) data is stored. As far as I know the music was not in .umx files but rather CD Audio, but all the audio tracks on my disc are blank.

Here is DOM_HOOD_DC_dat.zip, it is too big to attach.

Attachments

• DCEXTRA.zip
    38.9 KB · Views: 37

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Phew, it looks no encryption has been used :) . I'm looking at DOM_HOOD_DC_dat versus DOM_HOOD_DC.UNR and the beginnings of the files are identical. I'm not familiar with the UNR file format though so we still need to figure out where the data ends for the map itself.

Edit : I've had a look at the end DOM_HOOD_DC.UNR and this also corresponds to what's in DOM_HOOD_DC.dat. So, in theory, you could do a simple copy and paste using an advanced text editor (I use Editpad Lite) to extract the map.

Edit : I just noticed that the last sequence out of DOM_HOOD_DC.UNR is followed by a line beginning with "InternalTime" in DOM_HOOD_DC.dat. It should quite easy to find this :D .

Edit : I've also found that each file seems to start with this sequence : Áƒ*žE

P.S: No guarantees that the maps will work on their own.

Last edited:

demigod387

Feb 25, 2004
NYC
wow.... you guys are pretty good. I am Ued illiterate and have to clue as to how to do what your doing. Hood was a kool map. I would imagine all the textures and other filetypes were severely compressed to adjust to the DC's processing power and 16bit. I didn't expect such a thorough and helpfull respaonce so quick. :D

If you can figure out how to convert those .dats to ,unr i promise i'll fed-ex you both a beer! :D

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Interesting. It looks like the .dat file has quite a few chunks of apparent similarities with its .unr counterpart, but it's comingled with a bunch of other stuff too. Also towards the end of the file there's stuff that looks similar to .utx files (you'll see texture names in there).

It's gonna be tough, but hopefully all that needs to be done is to remove the texture files and all the comingled stuff to make the map run under PC UT.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
would the UNR work without the .dat?

EDIT: I was thinking. If the dat files do infact have textures in them, wouldnt they just be imbedded in the map like a "MyLevel" texture pack? Or is it making outside references?

Last edited:

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
I was hoping for that, but unfortunately it did not work.
Renaming one of those .dat to .unr and trying to open it gives this error:
dcdaterror.jpg

The contents of UnrealTournament.log:
Code:
Log: Log file open, 02/26/04 21:22:57
Init: Name subsystem initialized
Init: Detected: Microsoft Windows NT 5.1 (Build: 2600)
Init: Version: 436
Init: Compiled: Oct 24 2000 23:40:18
Init: Command line: "C:\UnrealTournament\Maps\CTF_SEPULCHRE_DC.unr"
Init: Base directory: C:\UnrealTournament\System\
Init: Character set: Unicode
Log: Bound to Engine.dll
Log: Bound to Core.dll
Log: Bound to Window.dll
Init: Object subsystem initialized
Init: Computer: KYOTO
Init: User: Battousai
Init: Memory total: Phys=458224K Pagef=1182700K Virt=2097024K
Init: Working set: 32000 / 159000
Init: CPU Speed=1002.271667 MHz
Init: CPU Page size=4096, Processors=1
Init: CPU Detected: PentiumPro-class processor (AuthenticAMD)
Init: CPU Features: CMov FPU RDTSC PAE MMX 3DNow!
Init: Unreal engine initialized
Log: Bound to WinDrv.dll
Init: Mouse info: 0 0 0
Init: Initializing DirectDraw
Log: DirectDraw drivers:
Log:    display (Primary Display Driver)
Init: DirectDraw initialized successfully
Init: DirectInput initialized successfully.
Init: Client initialized
Log: Bound to Render.dll
Init: Lighting subsystem initialized
Init: Rendering initialized
Log: LoadMap: Entry
Log: Bound to Fire.dll
Log: Bound to IpDrv.dll
Log: Game class is 'UTIntro'
Log: Level is Level Entry.MyLevel
Log: Bringing Level Entry.MyLevel up for play (0)...
ScriptLog: InitGame: 
ScriptLog: Base Mutator is Entry.Mutator0
Log: Browse: C:\UnrealTournament\Maps\CTF_SEPULCHRE_DC.unr?Name=[acsx]hyrulian?Class=BotPack.TMale1?team=1?skin=CommandoSkins.cmdo?Face=CommandoSkins.Nickolai?Voice=BotPack.VoiceMaleTwo?OverrideClass=
Log: LoadMap: C:\UnrealTournament\Maps\CTF_SEPULCHRE_DC.unr?Name=[acsx]hyrulian?Class=BotPack.TMale1?team=1?skin=CommandoSkins.cmdo?Face=CommandoSkins.Nickolai?Voice=BotPack.VoiceMaleTwo?OverrideClass=
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Bad name index 2854/792
Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Critical: ULinkerLoad<<FName
Critical: (LinkerLoad Transient.LinkerLoad20 509815))
Critical: FObjectImport<<
Critical: LoadImportMap
Critical: ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad
Critical: UObject::GetPackageLinker
Critical: UObject::StaticLoadObject
Critical: (Engine.Level None.MyLevel C:\UnrealTournament\Maps\CTF_SEPULCHRE_DC.unr)
Critical: VerifyPackages
Critical: UGameEngine::LoadMap
Critical: LocalMapURL
Critical: UGameEngine::Browse
Critical: UGameEngine::Init
Critical: InitEngine
Exit: Exiting.
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 02/26/04 21:23:13

godIZme21

Feb 27, 2004
I'm curious if you have put the Dcextra.u file in your ut system file before you tried to run the map ? from the way it looks it seems like it might be trying to run some kind of bot class or skin. not even really sure that's the prob though. Maybe it's trying to access something within that u.file ? Also could it be you need to rename it to CTF-SEPULCHRE_DC.unr ? No underscore after CTF ?

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Daedalus said:
would the UNR work without the .dat?

As far as I can tell : DAT = contents of UNR+UTX+etc. If you have a look at the list, there are only two UNR files on the CD (as well as their equivalent DATs). The rest of the maps are only available as DATs.

Hyrulian Hero, could you post a link to another DAT file ? I'll see what I can do with it :) .

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Hmmm, no luck extracting the map so far. I'm trying to find out if there's any references to textures and such and comparing the insides with any custom UT maps I've got. Here, if you want to give me a hand, get this program to open the files up and have a look.