Damn new PC doesn't start!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
Suddenly my new PC doesn't start as it should... I'm new on PC (Mac user) and all my local PC-friends are not available and it's at evening here so I cant get support from the store and I wanna game NOW! That's why I ask here with the hope to get some advices.

This is what happening:
I run (a totally legal) WindowXP and suddenly the PC cant start the whole way as it should: The whole start-up process seems to go fine and the log-in screen appears. So far so good. But after clicking on the login name only the desktop background image shows up and nothing else at all; no icons, no menus... EMPTY! Just a plain desktop background image... Note that I have runned virus programs really tight - several times a day, I have a firewall programme and a firewall in the ADSL-router.

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
I doubt I can be of much help ATM but to give more info for others who can:
When it displays the wallpaper, does the HD work? If yes, does it ever stop to work?
What happens if you hit CTRL+ALT+DEL?

Last edited:

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
Go in the "File Menu" and select "Run" (whatever it is in your hellish langage :p). And type "explorer". It should launch the desktop and the rest.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
Press F8 as the system boots (just after the bios screen fades). You should have a pretty basic boot menu. You can either start in "Safe mode" (won't load useless drivers and shit) or in "Console" mode (loads even less and give you a command prompt). Then tell us what happens and maybe we can help you ;)

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
*edit* Instaposted. To remove confusion: this post was supposed to be post #7 in this thread, not #9

You need to click on OK, too. :p :D
Seriously though, what about the hard disk LED? On/Off/Perma-On? Is there a process with high memory and/or CPU usage displayed in the process manager (ignore the idle process)? And as a test, try to run "cmd" instead of "explorer" if it works it will open the comandline interpreter (AKA DOS-Box even though it has even less to do with DOS then UT with Inf).

Last edited:

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
I started using the SafeMode... Soon I saw a message where I was asked if I wished to continue start in safe mode and I clicked "yes" but after that nothing happens.... Just a black screen where its typed "Safe mode" in all four corners and in the top of the screen a text with the name of the Service Pack or something can be found.....

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
I can also above choose to log in as "Adminstrator" and if I do that I find a console... Dont know what to do with that... The only commands I know is some UT commands as "god", "fly", "ghost", "stat fps".... I dont think they will work here.... :/

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
Are you sure you haven't deleted a file named "explorer.exe" rencently??? :con:

You can type "help" at the command prompt to have a list of the useful commands but I doubt you want to use them ;) Just in case, the basic commands are "cd" to change directory and "dir" to list the directory.
Try typing "explorer" (and then enter :p) and see what happens.

If everything else fails, just launch the device manager and check if there is an exlamation or interogation mark somewhere (you can do that by typing "devmgmt.msc" from the console). But that's not needed IMO.

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
Deleted explorer.exe? I doubt that... Where should it be placed?

When typing "explorer" and then enter that screen which ask if I wanna run in safe mode shows, but just once. When type "explorer" again and then enter othing more happens. Only the console can be seen....

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
Well, it looks like the windows Shell is ****ed up. I'm not sure the rest is damaged, the other programs may still work :p
Does anybody know if Windows keeps a log file somewhere?

You best options is to boot from your Windows Installation CD. When it asks if you want to reinstall everything or just repair windows, you can press "R". It should only copy the necessary files and everything should work again ;)

ecale3

Sniper - May be harmful to your health.
Jul 13, 2001
Maryland Bitch.
www.ecale25.netfirms.com
windows XP can hide the desktop icons, sounds like that is what is happening here.

Okay i figured out how to show them. Right click on the desktop, go to "Arrange Icons" then scroll down the list that appears to "Show Icons" and click on it. They should appear now.

You guys didn't have him reinstall anything already did you?

Last edited:

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
Put the CD in your drive and reboot the computer. It should boot from it.

If it doesn't... then you have to tell your computer to read the CD ROM (where the install is) before reading the hard drive (where your corrupted windows is). When the computer starts, open the BIOS menu by hitting DEL (or F2 on some hardware) on the first text page (with the cpu speed and ram size and such). Then search the menu and find an option called "First bootable drive" or something like that. It should be set to CD-ROM or ATAPI.

Maybe somebody else chould explain that better than me ;)
You can have a look at this page, it may not be exactly like that on your computer but it's a start:
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/bootcd.htm

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
I can now boot from the CD (using that bios-**** that looks like an computer interface from the 70's! Huaaaha! Scary!)

The CD boot and I can choose to repear the system (R) but after a while I'm asked for the Adminstrator password which I know doesnt exist! What should I type then?