Strange error in UT, Mobile Forces, but not Inf

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Here's the error:
UTerror.gif

UT and Mobile Forces (a UT-engine game if you don't know it) do exactly the same thing when I try and start them. Tried in UT using D3D, OpenGL and Software, all to no avail. The odd thing is, Inf works almost fine. However, I get a ton of screenshots sitting in my System directory of various loading screens. UT2003/4 and other games work fine. Here's my system:
Windows XP Pro SP1
Athlon XP 2500+
Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro (nForce drivers v3.13)
1Gb PC3200 DDR (4x256)
Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 4.2)
Audigy 2 Platinum (latest drivers)

Last edited:

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
If i thought that Mobile Forces used an earlier build of the unreal engine that is in UT2003, not the UT one .

That said, i fail to see a reason for your UT to give you this error while INF is working perfectly ?

Now i see that you have Catalyst 4.2 drivers for your ATI. (i suggest you to read this forum where you can find interesting things and hints about drivers)
I read in several websites that some users had problems with this set of drivers. It can be an explanation of this problem that happened to you (despite i find weird that INF works perfectly)

Or do you have some UT mods or mutator that can be a source of this problem ?

Sometime , i noticed that leaving the Running.ini file in the system folder after a crash or an unrealed usage can lead to another crash.

A last thing i can think now, as i read that City Intro seem to cause a problem , have you tried in your UnrealTournament.ini to change the line LocalMap=CityIntro.unr
into
LocalMap=UT-Logo-Map.unr

Last edited:

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Mobile forces uses a build of the engine somewhere between UT and UT2003 (build 9xx or thereabouts). Just so you know, Unreal works (using D3D), but has the same problem with screenshots as inf.

EDIT: Also, my main UT installation has just UT and Inf, and I've tried a clean install of UT to no avail.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
Did your problem occured with older ATI Catalysts drivers ?

Chris Donhal , who have an ATI card actually , expressed on his website is very disapointement with ATI drivers and noticed that the 4.2 was even worse.
ATI seems to have broken some aspects of hardware gamma ramp support even more in their 4.2 drivers.

And ealier he wrote
It looks like ATI has left hardware gamma ramp support for various full screen OpenGL apps a bit broken in their 4.1 drivers. This problem affects UT OpenGL and first showed up in their 3.10 drivers. Using the start button to switch back to the desktop and then switching back to full screen UT may be able to work around this problem. They also broke NWN, which I'd hope is on their current list of things to test, which makes me wonder: Are they aware of this problem? If so, why would they let something kind of major like this slip for so long? This reminds me that I should put together a small page/download location for the setgamma utility I wrote.

Maybe you can take some infos on this, as it is not a UT/Unreal setting that seem to be responsible, if even a clean install/clean .ini does not solve the problem.

My guess is that the catalyst driver seem more optimised for recent games and is not as good for older games/apps (something that Nvidia do too actually).

f it is not the catalyst driver , i am clueless actually

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Eh, we don't even know if it's the drivers yet, so don't go throwing accusations around. Besides, I'm sure a number of other people have the 4.2s and don't have this problem. Does anyone know where I can download some older Catalyst drivers (looking for 3.7-3.9s)?

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
http://download.guru3d.com/ati/ was a very reliable source of drivers (beta or official) when i needed some nvidia driver in the nvidia part of guru3D.
Unfortunately, they put +/- recently some kind of protection , with a side effect : if you have some specific firewall activated , there is a good chance that you will not able to download anything from them (you can always deactivate your firewall to start the download and re-activate it quickly after the download begin , but can be a problem).

And if you are unlucky with the URL up there , with google you should find some other places to download older catalysts, but for their reliability i cant say anything.

Last edited: