[UXL] Mutator pack for UT2k4

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
I'm updating this because I'm merging the xpak code and the freehold code into a new project called "Unreal XL"

The xpaks will be a complete rewrite. Adrenaline mutes like Heater and Cooler will probably be combined, and game tweaks like the Adrenovores will be reworked. All of this will be combined into 2 or 3 ubermutes to config them all.

A few mutes/functionality might get dropped, like Instant Weapon, since they're done much better in other mutes.

The "Magnum" weapons are going to get a complete redesign, but will be pretty similar. I will probably limit the number of custom weapons as I've learned I really need to at least reskin them for people to grok that they are changed and too many weapons will just get overly complicated.

It's possible that the core weapons will be left alone, and that the "Magnum" or "XL" stuff will be done with weapon augments instead.

Vehicle mutes/augments are a large possibility.

New mutes include teamplay mutes like Chat Protection, Gimp, and probably a team balancer. I might try to make a Campaign mutator based off the Riftwar code.

The Freehold code is going to form a base for an augment/loadout system that won't really be in a mutator - but in new gametypes (DM XL, CTF XL, INV XL, etc). People can select a loadout of two weapons, one augment for each weapon, and two personal augments (one active, one passive). Each loadout has a cost associated with it, and every respawn the cost is deducted from your score - same with buying new ammo (which you should be able to do by running through a weapons locker).

New rules/tweaks will be in each XL mode as well (like in CTF XL, flags in a home position might heal nearby players, etc. ).

Also, planned gametypes outside of XL:

Grind - going to port and modify the existing code.
Blink - a sniper mod where you are invisible if you a) have ammo and b) aren't moving fast.
Faith - Team DM where one member of your team is a Chosen One. Kills make the Chosen One and the Team more powerful, but if you feel the Chosen One isn't doing a good enough job you can sacrifice him to your god. Or something like that.

Sounds like a lot, I know - but most of this is actually already written. The XPak code needs to be redone from the ground up, but I'll be using the original as a guide. FH has code for the weapons, augments, loadout, etc. Grind is more or less done and Blink is nearly there.

Last edited:

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
ph33r teh ak1m30 !!

akimbo1.jpg

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Well, there's always shoulders :)

I still have some effects stuff to figure out, especially online - but getting the weapons to attach at least mostly correctly (some weapons seem to enjoy being at odd angles for the offhand still) was more or less the final piece.

This will almost certainly not be a mutator, there's so much new pawn code now that I'll probably subclass pawn again to add in the rest of the tricks that might be in store for XL.

Also, I was hoping not to require specialized weapon code, but the native engine has other thoughts about that...

Next step is write the Weapon/Augment config screen. This will be a good primer for porting both Riftwar and DFO over as well, since they're both pretty GUI intensive.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
considering their disappearance in UT2004, I guess the Nali weren't worth much :)

They would make a killer player model though...

Postal

I apear to have lost my pin.
Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
Allright, lets me realistic. Pistol in each hand(do you think you could realy fire 2 SMG's or rifles at the same time?)

Then 2 shoulder mounted guns

Thats 4

Have a torso strap that holds up another 2 guns under the armpits.

Torso mounted rocket pod, 7

Thigh straps hold on 2 more weapons, wouldl have to be low recoil, lasers? 9

Then youre crouch mounted machine gun.

Thats 10, and with out resorting to silly finger mounted weapons.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
quick updates:

Done:

-Akimbo Weapon code for Players
-Augment code for weapons
-Passive Augments for pawns
-Active Augments for pawns (press button, activates augment and drains adrenaline ... press again - deactivates and stops draining)
-Loadout screen for Left Weapon, Right Weapon, Weapon Augments, Brain - Chest - Legs augments. Originally I planned on one pool for all augments, but with the number of possible augments, I think it would get unwiedly.
-Some HUD updates (ammo on left/right health in the middle)
-Netcode for Akimbos, Loadout, Weapon Augs, PassiveAugs

In Progress
-Netcode for Active Augs (easy)
-Bots holding and to an extent using akimbos
-Online HUD displaying Left Weapon projectiles on the left, not the right
-More Minor HUD tweaks
-More augments

Later On
-New vehicle subclasses
-New Adrenaline rules (probably Adrenovore style)
-More augments
-better economy rules
-more gametypes

If I get some more non-sucky content, might have a beta for WoDders later this week.

This week I might also get over my fears of the mutator GUI and start getting the mutes together.

Last edited:

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
the cost of any item will be configurable via the ini file (as will adding/removing items) ...

I'll probably do a beta where everything costs about a nickel and you start with like 50 grand, just so people can play with everything.