Game demo happenings - Ninja Gaiden and Painkiller

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Feb 26, 2001
England
Painkiller (PC):
If you have a resonable PC download this demo. Imagine Serious Sam crossed with Blood on a Q3 like engine, with added physics. 3 demo levels available (I havent had time to play them all), at least 3 weapons in the demo. In the first level you fight your way through a village, using a steak launcher (no - not the food) to pin the undead to walls and generally destroy them, the 2nd fire on this is a grenade launcher. You also get a spinning blade type weapon with some kind of energy 2nd fire (you have to see it), it reminds me of the scene in that Australian comedy when the guy is mowing down all the zombies with a lawn mower.

Anyway, my description sucks as I've just woke up and I have a long day of work to suffer through (probably around 15 hours or so), but give it a go.

Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)
I'm not overly impressed by this, it plays like every other platformer, although it does have quite a nice combat system. I guess if you liked the original, or are a big fan of this genre, then you should give it a go. Again you have 3 weapons to choose from, and quite a big level to play through with a cool end of level boss. Give it a go if you like that kinda thing (and have an xbox of course).

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
-Snakebite- said:
steak launcher (no - not the food)
A "stake-launcher", then ;)

I almost wish I had an Xbox, so I could try out Ninja Gaiden. I was a huge fan of the old games when I was about 8. As long as the gameplay still consists of "Run forward and press 'attack' when you see someone", I'd be happy :D

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
yeah, i've been kinda disapointed with alot of 2d platformer's transition to the 3d. The simple charm of run, jump & attack is lost. Camera angles don't work quite right, or too much emphases is put on aiming, or you just get lost too easily. On the other hand it's not impossible to pull it off either. Mario 64 was probably one of the best 3d platformers period, and while not technically a "platformer" i'd say that the Metal Gear Solid titles are good examples of 2D games going 3D.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Ninja Gaiden was pretty weak. What a huge disappointment, especially giving all the huge hype surrounding this game. Ninja Gaiden even uses textures and enviroments from Dead or Alive 3, talk about original. :eek:

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
Painkiller is pretty good. Not the most subtle gameplay ever, but at least it's fun ;) The physics are pretty close to Max Payne 2. Things explode and fly everywhere. The sound effects are broken for me, explosions and doors (and sometimes the music) stop playing. Also, the stakes are way too big, they look like trunks.

Otherwise, it's pretty hard, even on the "middle" skill. Is there a way to regain health, aside from the punny +1 souls and the red thingies?

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Painkiller is the most pathetic sad excuse for a game ever.
The first level looks like a Quake 1 episode with more monsters and less fun (as if that's possible).
Sure the first few times you stake a zombie against the wall it's 'fun' and the physics make it look sort of ok, but by the end of the level it's become mindnumbingly dull.
The only 'fun' bit is the insta-gib weapon in the semi-godmode you reach after grabbing a hundred souls (or whatever it activates). Too bad that it isn't really worth trying for like Rune's bloodlust-feature as the souls dissappear too fast.

The main character has all the personality of a brick ... he can't be compared to Serious Sam.

Then there's the pickups which look like the rest of the level (at least in the first level) that it's impossible to see what can and can't be grabbed.
Worst part is the way a magical wall suddenly appears behind you after you've entered a new section. There's no chance to grab extra ammo/weapons/powerups after you've gone past the magic trigger.

For some weird reason there's no save mechanisme ... so everytime you want to play you're forced to go through the most boring level ever designed.

Feb 16, 2004
Pain Killer rocks, it has the sweet classic Quake 1 death match feel, with superb graphics, and nice little touches from other games, like bashing open stuff to collect coins, and bouncing bodies with the grappling claw to jiggle lose bonus gems.
The sounds FX are very lively and add a rich depths to the over all ambiance.

This one is on my list of must buy games.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Freon said:
JaFO, don't forget it's a demo, maybe the character has a story in the full game, also there must be more weapons.
A character should be something you notice while playing ... not a cute intro-screen and a bs backgroundstory that's not even visible..

Serious Sam, Duke Nukem & the Postal-guy had character.
The Quake-series dude was a nameless moron.
Painkiller background gives the person a name, but like the Quake-series it fails to give him a character.

Painkiller = Quake with more monsters & more detailed environments.

Sure ... there are more weapons in the demo, but they lack character and there's no reason why you can't pick up additional weapons like the ammo.

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
I don't understand why anyone would sit down to play Painkiller and even expect it to have a story. Everything I had heard about it lead me to believe that it would be exactly as it is: mindless monster killing fun.

When I play a game like this, I don't give two shits worth whether or not the main character has a personality or if there is some sort of story invloved. Alls I want it to do for me is to give me a good visceral feeling whilst I kill everything that moves; Painkiller does this with aplomb.