PDA

View Full Version : Ban the evil 500!

-Snakebite-
17th Feb 2004, 05:06 AM
"It's hard for me to rationalize any particular need or purpose" for the 500 Magnum, said Rep. Danny Davis (D-Ill.). "I think guns are made to kill people. That's my opinion."

But Davis said the .50 caliber revolver, which weighs 72.5 ounces and has an overall length 15-inch has no purpose in society except to cause injury and death to humans, dismissing the manufacturer's claim that it is intended for hunting wild game.

"If you've got something that masquerades as a handgun, but has the firepower of a major weapon, you're all at risk," said Illinois State House Majority Leader Barbara Flynn Currie. "This is not the Wild West. It hasn't been for a long time."

Currie compared the 500 Magnum to "military-style assault weapons," although she had no information to base her claims on except for a "tip" received from a reporter.

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=%5CCulture%5Carchive%5C200302%5CCUL20030217b.html

At only 15" in length, I'm sure lots of people will carry this easy to conceal piece. :lol:

MP_Lord_Kee
17th Feb 2004, 05:28 AM
Bullets should cost $5000 each. Then if someone got shot he/she probably deserved it. And it would minimize the "accidential" bystander killings..

(Just something I heard in Chris Rock's standup routine yesterday...)

//Kee

Zundfolge
17th Feb 2004, 12:25 PM
"You don't go out hunting deer with a revolver," Davis said.

Yes you do hunt deer with a revolver ... thats really the reason for all big bore revolvers (that and silouette shooting).

Deer, boar, cougar ... there's a long list of game that is routinely taken with handguns.

Davis believes the 500 Magnum has a greater potential for becoming a lethal inner-city status symbol than an effective hunting tool, at least in his congressional district. He added that its high power combined with its concealability could make it the "weapon of choice" for urban gangs.
Bulls***!

The "Weapon of choice" for urban gangs is the .380 Lorcin ... a piece of junk little gun that you can easily carry in a pocket. According to the FBI the handgun cartridged used in the greatest number of murders is the .22.

This same stupid argument has been used when discussing the Desert Eagle, and yes, in Hollywood movies there are many gang bangers packing DEs, but in the real world they don't.

"And, of course, the thing will be, 'I've got the most powerful piece on the block,'" he said.
Sorry, but the brotha on the corner with the 12ga will probably disagree :rolleyes:

Here's the logic of the gun control crowd.
We have to ban cheap small caliber pistols because they are the weapon of choice of gang bangers!
We have to ban "military style assault rifles" because they are the weapon of choice of gang bangers!
We have to ban high capacity 9mms because they are the weapon of choice of gang bangers!
We have to ban expensive big bore revolvers because they are the weapon of choice of gang bangers!

So whats next, are they going to decide the gang bangers have a taste for some bling-bling so we need to outlaw $15000 Italian shotguns?

I for one would LOVE to see gang bangers packing S&W .500Mags ... they'll have only 5 shots ... after the first shot they will have to take twice as long to line up their second shot (and if they try that sideways shooting crap the gun will probably be dropped). And it will be much easier for the cops to catch these guys since stuffing a big heavy hunk of steel in your pants will cause them to fall down even faster then their goofy "saggin'" style already does.

Meplat
17th Feb 2004, 01:31 PM
I fail to see why "gang bangers" have'nt been banned.

"Currie compared the 500 Magnum to "military-style assault weapons," although she had no information to base her claims on except for a "tip" received from a reporter."

Ah hah. An edumacated bureau-crat we've got here. "It must be so. A reporter told me!"

Sure, don't decide for yourself, or ask those that might actually own one. You might learn something regarding those EEVIL guns.

Illinois will ban it because it looks mean.

Meplat-

SaraP
17th Feb 2004, 01:34 PM
What an utter moron. Honestly, you'd think the anti-gun crowd would at try to know at least a little about the objects of their hate.

ecale3
17th Feb 2004, 03:29 PM
I would say something, but expecting intelligence out of a beaurecrat is like expecting the table to soften if you keep smashing your head into it. I can't really say this level of stupidity is unexpected.

TheShiningWizard
17th Feb 2004, 09:23 PM
I'm going to dedicate the rest of my day to being angry at this.

geogob
17th Feb 2004, 09:41 PM
Good thing my day is over... I won't be angry much longer ;)

Nightmare
18th Feb 2004, 12:16 AM
Well, just sell the stupid irons to people involved in hunting or silhouette shooting. Tell the rest to bugger off. Problem solved.

Logan6
18th Feb 2004, 12:53 AM
They're liberals, they just can't help themselves.

But not to worry, the U.S. Assault Weapons Ban goes out of existence in 208 days. And no way in a Republican congress are they going to get the votes to save it! :lol:

Now we just got to work on getting the National Firearms Act repealed...

novak
18th Feb 2004, 07:49 AM
I'm going to dedicate the rest of my day to being angry at this.

:p

Zundfolge
18th Feb 2004, 01:21 PM
Well then THIS should really frighten the sheep ;)

(my wrist hurts just looking at the pic :eek: )

ecale3
18th Feb 2004, 01:44 PM
not my style, i would prefer magazine capacity to hand cannon. But that is no excuse to take it away from those who do want it.

-Snakebite-
18th Feb 2004, 02:22 PM
How does it compare with the Raging Bull in .454?

Cap'n Beeb
18th Feb 2004, 03:03 PM
http://popularmechanics.com/outdoors/firearms/2003/9/top_gun/images/lg_blast-lg.jpg

Using the weight of the .454 and .500 rounds, I'm sure you could dig up some good comparisons. :)

(.454 FOR LIFE!!)

Crazy_Ivan
18th Feb 2004, 03:35 PM
VERY short barrel...
You would have scared the deer/boar away minutes before you come in a range to actually hit something with that.
IF you hit something, it will be the last thing you will shoot that day, as any animal in a few miles around is alarmed

-Snakebite-
18th Feb 2004, 04:45 PM
Man, thats some crazy energy on that bullet.

Meplat
19th Feb 2004, 12:56 AM
I'll stick with my 1911's, and CZ 75's thanks. If I want that kind of firepower, I'll get the SMLE out.

Meplat-

ecale3
19th Feb 2004, 03:14 AM
Big game hunting with a revolver seems a touch silly to me, but maybe that is just my practical side talking :D

Zundfolge
19th Feb 2004, 09:17 AM
Certain game (like boar) is actually more practical to hunt with a pistol since you're generally hunting in dense brush and will likely be within 10 yards of the animal when you open fire.

But mostly, handgun hunting is just an additional challenge for those who enjoy hunting (shorter range and less power then a rifle ... you do the math)

oogle
24th Feb 2004, 05:36 AM
Guns Don't Kill People, Dangerous Minoritys Do.
http://bobdole.feelingsinister.net/fat2.gif