Our Very Own Sparky on UT2004 GUI

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zenny

I'm gonna steal your girlfriend.
Mar 14, 2003
Washington DC
he's no smacktard, he's a sparktard! thank you folks, i'll be here all week..don't forget to tip the waitstaff!

P

/\psalus

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I happen to like the new GUI. Granted, I'm sure that there are areas that they could improve on, but I like the over-all, sporty look. I thought that they said that they were bringing back U-windows. It looks like they missed on that one. :(

O

Oracle

Sparktard.. lol

I find nothing wrong with the menu. Its eye catchy and friendly to new UT players. UT2003 was a dark and unfreindly look.

Epic get a clue?

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I'm glad they didn't try to reintroduce that abonimation that was UT'99 GUI ... that's fine for MS Office or Autocad or even Photoshop, but it's useless for a game.

UT'03 ... it wasn't pretty, a bit too clean, but it worked and was easy to navigate.
Now there's UT'04 ... and it is pretty, lots of pictures where it matters and only a minor complaint for the browser : the idiot that thought blue letters on a blue background would be readable should be taken out and shot ... with a stakegun.

MoonQuake

Feb 17, 2004
This "ActionIs" font is too commonly used.
The idea of using screenshots for a menu/load screen is to be avoided.

They should hire Graphic designers for that type of work instead of asking the web designer to do it. ;)

But it's dynamic and colorful, like Unreal always was.

MQ

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
UWindows looked nice and ran smoothly...it was organized, but it was just an interface. If you have to make settings changes on the fly (In the game), the new interface is 10 times faster for getting into the menus, making the change and getting back to the game.

I don't see what all the fuss is about, background screenies not withstanding, I think the 2k4 demo interface is smart and easy to use.

Overall, it's an issue the vast majority of people playing now don't care about and Dr. SiN is on the record as saying the Uwindows is absolutely not coming back and we better come to terms with that, so the subject is moot (or m00t! as the case may be :lol: ).

Last edited:

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
I found UWindows ugly and complicated, from using in code to as a player.

2k3 was blue but simple, and a lot easier to code for.

2k4 seems an improvement, too flashy for me in some places, but certainly more functional than 2k3. Why let programmers design GUIs? (and they probably have an IA) I guess because functionaly > high res textures? ;) I'd say it's more of a sin that you have to trick the game to add in a buddy name that's not on a server than Xan being jaggy, but each his own...

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Ah, a Gui is a Gui is a Gui, unless it is THE Gui, hehe.;) Anyway, one thing I do agree on is:

"the idiot that thought blue letters on a blue background would be readable should be taken out and shot ... with a stakegun."