PDA

View Full Version : Creating a character

dpopovici
15th Feb 2004, 07:14 PM
Hi,

I want to create a character that I can afterwords control with unrealscript. I don't want to have a humanoid king of player, but I want my player to be a cub for example. How/where can I create this cub and then export it to unreal ?

Thanks,
Dan

coolhead2100
4th Mar 2004, 10:00 PM
You would have to create the cub in a 3d modeling package(Maya, 3dsmax, Lightwave, XSI, MilkShape even), and then export it using Actor X or in the Maya PLE case, the unEditor plug-in.

aruon 177
17th Mar 2004, 12:58 AM
I don't get it. How can people use the PLE version of maya for ut 2003, when maya can't be used for commercial use?

conscripted
17th Mar 2004, 01:51 AM
aruon - the difference is that people here aren't making things for commercial use. they are making things for UT2003 and wont be in a position to sell what they make without breaking many copyright laws. Maya ple(which is free) has an exporter that comes with it. Maya Complete and Unlimited are the full commercial versions of the program. if you OWN complete or umlimited - AU$6000 and AU$17,000 - then anything you make you CAN sell for commercial profit.

dpopovici - im actually looking into something like this for one of my projects. and I think the actorX for maya or unEditor for PLE plugin will be what you need. you will need script to run in UT. start modeling.. maya PLE or milkshape should be of use, considering they are both free and have exporters.. what you only get maya 4 or 4.5 PLE as these ones have the exporter, and as far as I know, 5 does not.

[SAS]Solid Snake
17th Mar 2004, 04:37 AM
Whther it is a fish, human, horse or whatever else the animation theory is the same. For example, all things need a walk animation. For a human we traditionally use a bipedal walk animation (it could just as easily be a gorrilla type animation), so thus in your case a cub walk animation would be on all fours walking like a dog. Now, the control scheme will be exactly the same as it would be as if it were human, except the way you animate the model is how you want to portray the model. If your still a little confused about what I meant by this then ask slightly more specific questions.

conscripted
17th Mar 2004, 05:36 PM
i think i mistook dpopovici's idea,.. Im looking at making an object that is controlled but not an actual charactor.. more like a seige weapon.. I spose that if I built that as a charactor, then I would get around a lot of scripting, after all it could be made as a vehicle.. interesting idea.

-- wanders off pondering