Onslaught would be better if...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
this is just my opinion, and I do think the gametpye rocks as it is but it could be better. The difference would be that after linking up all the nodes, and destroying the generator, instead of the game being over, the destruction of the generator would take down the shields of the team's "artifact node". From there, the attacking team would have to steal the artifact from the node and bring it back to their own artifact node. The team with the destroyed generator would be able to repeair it with link guns. The only thing that is missing in onslaught is a good CTF-type run. It has domination (of the nodes), assault on the base and of course DM but it's missing the thrill of a run (or fly if your team is smart and brings a raptor for the carrier to use to get back to base). What do you guys think?

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
That sounds pretty good Maest.

The generator would have to be easier to takedown/destroy though.

But I like the idea of a run of some sort, it adds excitement.

Maybe if the generator had to be at full power to "register" a flag
or Flags ;)

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I think that XMP sucks and that they should keep any such artifact bs out of ut2004.

Besides IF you had their artifact it's not like it would be difficult for you to get back even if it was on foot. You would already controll pretty much all the map and you'd have your team all there. The fact that makes xmp or ctf fun is the fact that they can take your flag and you can take theirs whenever you can. With this only 1 team would be flag carrying. If they had any amount of cover he'd make it.

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
ok, how about you destroy the power core, then grab their flag and take it back to your base, then a yellow ball spawns in the middle of the map, you have to get the ball then throw it through their power core, all while completing a set of objectives along the way!

/me runs...

HellsGuardian

Unreal Engine Mapper
Sep 19, 2002
Florida, USA
www.geocities.com
WebSlinger said:
ok, how about you destroy the power core, then grab their flag and take it back to your base, then a yellow ball spawns in the middle of the map, you have to get the ball then throw it through their power core, all while completing a set of objectives along the way!

/me runs...

Lmao...just throw all the gametypes in there eh?

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
Webby is right, The objectives could be to plant a bomb on some useless crate in the middle of nowhere. Of course the enemy could attmpt to defuse the bomb given enough time. Or you might have to infiltrate a base and free some hostages and make it back safely. During all that time weapons are not picked up but bought...

Wouldn't that own?

:rolleyes:

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
artifact what? This is not XMP, and thank God for that. ONS is fine the way it is.

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
It is true, that the majority of the time if the generator is destroyed, the team will be able to cap the artifact with no problem. A possible solution to that would be after a generator is destroyed, the requirement of linking up the nodes in the sequence wouldn't be requred so, for example, a member of the trailing team could link up and steal the node on the far side of the map, near the enemies base, giving his team that spawn point and making it a little more difficult for the other team to cap the artifact. If the artifact is dropped and returned, then the node control goes back and the team that had their generator destroyed would be able to repair it to a max of half strength. Also, the damage required to take down the generators should be lowered as Hanover said.

and lol webslinger

also artifact is just a possible name for it, it could be a flag, a superweapon, a relic or a sausage, doesn't matter

Last edited:

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Then the whole gametype would be given a sense of!
"When will it ever end!"

As it is when your losing your fighting like a cornered, rabies infested hound from hell to defend you generator! Why have that followed by a Quidditch-esque chase the gold ball thing to win the match bit! Bleurgh! it's fun! it's almsot RTS'ish! Youd efend like mad and try and push out where possible! Though seems to me red have a a very slight advantage!