Digital camera´s Cellphones.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CAVERNA2K

Look, a fliing something!!!!!
Mar 12, 2001
www.geocities.com
Hello there.

I´ve been persuated to get a GSM cellphone with that digital camera thing.

I´d like to know if any of you have one of these phones, if they are good as phones, if their other functions are good and the interface is easy.

Here in Brazil, the brands I know well are Sony-Ericsson, Motorola, Samsung, Siemens and Nokia.

I´d rather not stick with the Motorola, and I want a cellphone no heavier than my V60i(nor bulkier), and I like conectivity - USB is better.

If anyone has any experience, knows anyone who has this kind of cell phone, I´d be pleased to know your opinions.

If possible, post some pictures.

Thanks.

PS: I`ve seen the nokia 7650 and sony-ericsson T610... just seen...

Saladin

Fez Toting Warrior!
Jul 25, 2002
Atlanta, GA, USA
home.attbi.com
samsung is simply amazing, but bah get a phone and then get a camera lol.

SGH-E700
E700_Basic.jpg

awesome phone

SGH-X600
looks like the standard x-series phone, added feature is the camera though

those are for GSM, the others i know im not sure work on your carrier, but the first one is just an amazing phone.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
I'm rather biased to answer this question...but let's see.

First of all, I have only used the nokia cam phones. So I have no clue how they compare to the other brands. I'd suspect the picture quality is pretty much the same. (i.e vga quality at the moment).

It all comes to what you want to do with it. You can't really use it as a digital camera, nor is it ment to be like that. Conditions have to be pretty much perfect to get a decent picture with these phone cams. They are however ideal if you like to send MMS. Say you travel a lot, and want to send a little picture of some place you are visiting to someone who is capable of recieving MMS (or well, stright to their email, it is as easy to do that). Cam phones are excellent for this kind of purpose.
Say you see a hot chick on a beach, well *snap* and instantly send it forward to your mates. Or you see some really awesome car parked on the street...*snap*

If I were to buy a phone, with a cam, I'd compare the other techincal aspects of a phone first.
- Do I need a three-band or perhaps even a WCDMA phone?
- Do I want to run applications or games on the phone?
- Do I want to listen to FM radio?
- Do I need MP3 capabilities?
- Do I like to show off with high quality ringtones? (wav, mp3, midi?)
- What OS should the phone have? Symbian? PocketPC?
- Would I like to watch video clips on the phone?
- Do I need it for data communications? (GPRS, EDGE, WLAN etc)
- Full featured qwerty-keyboard?
- Style, exchangable covers?
- Perhaps you need a sturdy one for active life style? (water resistant, shock proof)
- Need one with a compass, flashlight, timer etc?
- XHTML support?
- Java support?
- push-to-talk feature?

These issues are much more important in a phone than the camera which is just a gimmic, additional feature (at this moment on the market).
So I'd recommend you to first decide on the other features, and only then see if there is a phone in your price range that also includes a camera.

If you need a phone with megapixel capable camera...well there are some but (heavily biased opinion:) on less than mediocre phones....
There are japanese made phones but aimed for the japanese market ..

Any questions related to mobile phones, I'd be happy to answer to my best knowledge. (and if I don't know I can always find out :) )

//Kee

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
There's another thing to keep in mind: Security.
Some companys already banned these phones at work couse they don't want people with cameras to roam their office space. So, if you job takes you to places where that might be an issue and you want to keep your phone with you you might be better off with one that dosn't have a camera.

CAVERNA2K

Mar 12, 2001
www.geocities.com
Agree with that, Hadmar.

Lord Kee, well, I don´t know many things you said... :D
Anyway, I´ll answer them, at my cellphones knowledge full extent.

If I were to buy a phone, with a cam, I'd compare the other techincal aspects of a phone first.
- Do I need a three-band or perhaps even a WCDMA phone? No. TDMA or CDMA are nice, ´cause GSM is in it´s beguinning here.

- Do I want to run applications or games on the phone? Sometimes, mostly not.

- Do I want to listen to FM radio? I got that in my car.

- Do I need MP3 capabilities? Also in my car, but if comes for free, why not? Sorta ipod and cellphone and mavica at the same time.

- Do I like to show off with high quality ringtones? (wav, mp3, midi?) Yes, mainly that donkey thing and the horse. But I like the vibracall thing at all times.

- What OS should the phone have? Symbian? PocketPC? It´s a cellphone for God´s sake! And I don´t have any idea about OS´s in phones, rather than they are made with some sort of java.

- Would I like to watch video clips on the phone?
- Do I need it for data communications? (GPRS, EDGE, WLAN etc) Bluetooth and USB are what I need.

- Full featured qwerty-keyboard? No, I rather use the regular iTap or T9(witch do the same thing).

- Style, exchangable covers? No.

- Perhaps you need a sturdy one for active life style? (water resistant, shock proof) My desk is very dangerous, the mouse almost ate my index finger.

- Need one with a compass, flashlight, timer etc? I have a map already.

- XHTML support? Don´t know what is that for, but should be extensive hypertext markup language.

- Java support? What for? Games, applets? Maybe.

- push-to-talk feature? Please explain.

- I also want to record voice notes with just a button push.

Kee, now it´s your turn. I hope I did not offend you with some answers.

Thanks in advance.

novak

Oct 22, 2003
Visit site
I've got a Nokia 6600 and I don't think I've used the built-in camera more than once or twice. The picture quality is pretty awful and usually cellphones don't have much memory so you can't keep more than around a dozen (depends on the model, ofcourse) pictures saved at one time.

A camera adds not only to the price of the phone but they tend to be bulkyer aswell. If I were you, I'd buy a nice compact, cheaper phone and then a real digital camera.

CAVERNA2K

Mar 12, 2001
www.geocities.com
Kavon, I´ll take that note, but think about Siemens S55. But it´s way to costy here.

I´ve been checking some phone, but i did not even touched one...

I have Nokia as a favorite due to the fact It´s a very good enterprise, the phones are well built and most people who have one has never had problem. I got a Motorola... Nice, works 100% but if something happens, I´m doomed.

The Nokia models I liked are the 7250(i) and the 7650.

The Sony-Ericsson T610, but the reviews I´ve read did not add much for it´s favor.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Right, let's see what I can come up with at 1am after a few shots of vodka...

CAVERNA2K said:
- Do I need a three-band or perhaps even a WCDMA phone? No. TDMA or CDMA are nice, ´cause GSM is in it´s beguinning here.

If you travel a lot a three-band would be good (900,1800, 1900 bands) else just go for what is current at your geographical location.

- Do I want to run applications or games on the phone? Sometimes, mostly not.

Well, if you'd have a Symbian OS phone then there would be plenty of software to get for free from the net, covering most areas.. depending on the phone ofcourse. The games are usually crap but for instance you can install a commodore 64 emulator and play old C64 games on the phone.
www.my-symbian.com for an idea of what is available for free.

- Do I like to show off with high quality ringtones? (wav, mp3, midi?) Yes, mainly that donkey thing and the horse. But I like the vibracall thing at all times.

Latest phones do have pretty good ring-tone capability. The vibrating thing is built into the battery and also pretty standard.

- What OS should the phone have? Symbian? PocketPC? It´s a cellphone for God´s sake! And I don´t have any idea about OS´s in phones, rather than they are made with some sort of java.

Well, OS does make a difference. Take Symbian for instance; you can install applications, games etc pretty easily. If you go M$ way, there ain't no 3rd party software to be installed as all the software needs to be licenced/verified etc by M$. Mind you, there are other brands carrying Smbian OS than Nokia. By the way, "Nokia OS" is the most wide spread OS in the world :) That is the typical UI on Nokia phones, easy to use, doesn't require engineers degree to figure things out etc. If you go "graphical" Symbian OS would be the choise IMHO.

- Do I need it for data communications? (GPRS, EDGE, WLAN etc) Bluetooth and USB are what I need.
Blootooth is available on most phones. USB is available on most nokia phones (the new ones at least) but the cable costs extra. Or serial cable. Requires software on the PC as well. Infrared is an option as well. Unless you plan to use the phone as a "modem" with you computer or you don't want to browse the net or use WAP, GPRS is not something you need. EDGE is a more advanced and faster communications protocol. The latest phones (3G) are pretty fast and something to recon with if you require data-connectivity. Not very widespread at the moment..

- XHTML support? Don´t know what is that for, but should be extensive hypertext markup language.
Well, if you want to browse the internet, XHTML capable phone would be something to consider.

- Java support? What for? Games, applets? Maybe.
Applets, middlets and stuff...

- push-to-talk feature? Please explain.
Push to talk...well, it is quite recent. (announced to the public a couple of weeks ago, one Nokia phone is shipping with the feature at the moment).
Basically, it will replace your normal SMS text messages in near future. You can send voice messages to others, similar to SMS but just voice. You choose a phone nr, press a button and keep it down, say your message, release the button and off it goes to the reciever. This will be BIG in near future. (In the States apparently some company have been selling phones with this capability for quite some time but restricted to one operator etc...)

- I also want to record voice notes with just a button push.
Should be pretty standard on most modern mobiles...personally I have never ever required this functionality :)

Kee, now it´s your turn. I hope I did not offend you with some answers.

Thanks in advance.

No worries :) Finally a subject that differs from calibers and whatnot, i.e finally something I actually know something about. *grin*
There are many factors to take into consideration when choosing the mobile phone and I just wanted to highlight some things that I have recently learned to know about that I had no clue about before.

//Kee

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
CAVERNA2K said:
I have Nokia as a favorite due to the fact It´s a very good enterprise, the phones are well built and most people who have one has never had problem. I got a Motorola... Nice, works 100% but if something happens, I´m doomed.

The Nokia models I liked are the 7250(i) and the 7650.

Well, 7250i and 7650 are both very good phones. I have used both for sometime. Biggest difference is that the 7650 is a Symbian (60) phone and the 7250i is not. In practice, that would mean you can run a lot of more applications on the 7650 than the other.

I'd go for the 7650 if I had to choose althou the 7250i is a little sexy phone as well :) By the way, you can use ICQ (and IRC I believe) with the Symbian based one :)

Now I need some sleep!

//Kee

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
I think one of the most complete cell phone available for a reasonable price is the Nokia 3660...that is if you like gadgets. I heard some of the best pic shots were taken with the Sagem Myx6, the Sharp GX30 and the Samsung X600 but this last one is (IIRC) destined for the European market only at the moment.

Last edited:

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
I agree with Saladin. Get a phone and a digi-cam seperated. At the current technology level phones with cams just won't satisfy you if you are looking for a digi-cam. The usage of a mobile cam is intended to be for MMS. And in that sense it is pretty awesome. Also, the quality of the picture is usually much better on the computer screen than seen on the mobile itself. (rather obvious but thought I'd mention it :) ).

//Kee

CAVERNA2K

Mar 12, 2001
www.geocities.com
Kee, Saladin, Woffen, everyone...

Well, I´m up for both Nokia phones... They are very good, and have a camera inside, yes I know there are some notes about the pic quality, but both are same price here - about USD$ 400 ~ R$ 1200.

So, Kee, witch one had the best image quality, the less bulkier, the more feature rich - like T9/iTap, agenda, alarms, call id, bluetooth/USB and voice notes.
About the USB cable, I can make one from scratch... I have four ruined mouses here, and as per I know, the software is free - dl from the net.

Post yours about your cellphones.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Well, both are pretty good phones. I used the 7250i when I needed something less bulky as my communicator. Haven't used the 7650 more than a few times but liked it as well. Best bet is to check the specs on www.nokia.com (you can compare the two models there: http://www.nokia.com/phones/compare...age=EN&pageaction=COMP&phone=7250i&phone=7650)

For the cable, you need a Pop-Port connector to plug to the phone which is not commonly available. No idea if it is possible to make one yourself as the cable itself has some electronics in it. (DKU-2 and DKU-5 are the codes for the cables, DKU-2 should work with the 7250i, not sure about which one for 7650).

I suspect the picture quality for the cam is better with 7650, but not 100% sure, don't have 7650 readily available at the moment.

//Kee