Are short games fair to everyone?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodsplat

I'm still here?
Jan 21, 2004
No. $49.99 for a game that lasts only 8 hours to 15 hours is annoying to me when I've picked up games like Serious Sam: FE and SE, System Shock 2, and Deus Ex for a combined price of 24 bucks and each lasts more than 30 hours.

CiD

I'm on Offense!
Dec 28, 2003
er,did you mean,short games of XMP,or short SP games?

jake_weeeeeeee

Jan 2, 2004
i bet he meant xmp. my humble opinion on this: don't get arti's at all. just frag your asses away. play a map like sunset beach or so.

i hate those early rushes. you haven't even started running for energy and the game already ends. :shake:

fJ

KingOfHearts

Suicide King
Jan 25, 2004
Funny how they steal the artis, and the whole team panics, when they've still got a long while before their arti node comes online...

WulfMan

XMP Beta Tester
Feb 1, 2004
I've seen matches that lasted 1:15 seconds, that's a long time before the node comes online?

Go-Bot

Shadow Leadership
Jan 23, 2004
over there somewhere
i find it somewut entertianing .. the arti rush comes in and camp till the NRG comes up :D well then the hunt begins which can be alot of fun to the skilled player ... penatrating thier base and capping thier carrier has alot of reward .. it shows you are safe nowhere! and shortly after you killing the arti carrier you are dashing out the door with thier arti :lol: ahhhh the insanity and frustration is soon to boil over :) .. did i forget to mention I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!

AND DONT GET ME WRONG! IT HAS HAPPENED TO ME ALSO .. BUT YOU LEARN FROM EXPIRIENCE! and i have alot to learn yet .. as i have only been playing this game for maybe 2 months now :D

Last edited:

fireball

Reach out and torch someone
Rushing is fun if your team knows what they're doing (I don't know how many times I've been my team's entire defence on sunset's lower level when the other team rushed). Yes it is risky but with good teamwork it can pay off. Generally, the more coordinated team wins, so I'd say it's not fair because if your team is morons all the skill in the world won't save you.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Go-Bot said:
i find it somewut entertianing .. the arti rush comes in and camp till the NRG comes up :D well then the hunt begins which can be alot of fun to the skilled player ... penatrating thier base and capping thier carrier has alot of reward .. it shows you are safe nowhere! and shortly after you killing the arti carrier you are dashing out the door with thier arti
Fragged player - 100
Carrying artifact - x1.5
Fragged base defender - x1.5
Headshot - x1.5
Denied artifact capture - x2
Fragged artifact carrier - x2.5
Total Score - 1687.5
Returned Artifact + 50

:2thumb:

Silver Sequence

XMP Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2004
It's not my style, but I find it's only really a serious threat when you're playing pub with random people who won't defend. When I play with people who communicate it's never really been a problem. I personally prefer longer games where skill can really be demonstrated, but if you're into the rush go for it.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Well... it's a bit "pffffh" when the match is over before you know what's happening.

I have to respect the skill level of a player who can do that, I mean people shouldn't have to play down to nubs like me but I have to wonder what they are hoping to get out of the match... I mean you can end a map inside of two minutes. Who is that fun for?

jake_weeeeeeee

Jan 2, 2004
funniest thing is probably the double rush: your team rushes the other base, the other dudes do the thing at your place. both teams get energy, they return the artis: nothing gained and the game begins again. :D

fJ

Last edited:

Houdini-GG

I've been described as hot, videogames..
Dec 30, 2003
Colorado Springs
Xaero:
did u watch the Painkiller trailer? omg... looks badass. like SS but bigger, better.

i play defense, usually i check their team to see if i notice any of their players names and whether or not i know if they are coming for the artifact off the bat (vD-Auron comes to mind.. him and i always tangle at the beginning of every map.. i think i'm winning our personal war 108-48 now.)
i dont like games that go for 2 minutes, but what are you going to do? its the nature of tgame to not be balanced that way. its not a class-based or team-based game at that point.. its CTF where someone has to go hack 2 gens while the rest of the team defends.
sorta sucks, but theres a lesson to learn that unfortunately most people dont learn. you'll always have joe player jsut take off on each map and camp some hill to snipe. even if his team loses because hes not on defense.
meh.
i'm losing my patience with XMP as it is.. hopefully the final maps make things better... and some extras would be nice too.

Anathema-

...because we're NOT free
Oct 19, 2003
The game should never be over before you realize it .. that is if you're paying attention to if your artifacts are stolen or not. It certainly shouldn't be a surprise that the game ends quick if your arti's are stolen just as the map opens up.

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
The quick matches usally only happen a couple times. One of two things happen.
1. The other team plays some more deffence at the beginning of the match.
2. They leave the server.

The second option is not the result anyone who arti rushes is looking for. Auron is one of the best rushers I've ever seen, but that also makes him predicatable. You can guarantee that he's gonna rush, so prepare for it. I can tell you this that when Voodoo practices, auron does not get away with the arti rush, he gets welcomed by his clanmates rockets and shotguns.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.