Your Opinions of UT2k3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
I haven't bothered with 2k3 since I need a new comp, but I played Unreal Championship on Xbox. Anyway, I was wondering how 2k3 has been received by Unreal fans since I haven't really been keeping up with the UT community.

I know 2k3 has some nice new gamemodes, but it seems like the weapons/weapon ballance is weak compaired to UT99. It seems in large part like 2k3 is trying too hard to be a compromise between UT and Quake 3. The assault rifle seems like a pointless n00b-friendly bullet hose compaired to the old pistol. What's the deal with taking away the secondary fire of the rocket launcher? It also sucks that they clean took the ripper out completely instead of tweaking it to be less "spam friendly" or whatever. The lightning gun also seems like a compromise to make the sniper rifle more like Quake's Rail gun. It's also disapointing that there weren't any particularly new weapons besides the satellite laser marker thing.

Don't get me wrong, I like Quake as a game in it's own right, but UT is not Quake. By trying to combine the good features of both games it seems like it just produces a watered down compromise. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
It's weapon changes I can completely understand.
If you've ever seen those 'uber' guys work a headshot-capable instahit weapon, it's pretty much a given that every disadvantage possible should be applied to it.
As a rule of thumb, it's harder to kill anyone given the broader range of movements/acrobatics and the weapons that generally require better shot placement. I like that.
Given the amount of teamwork based games they provide, I assume they want to promote more teamwork by making it harder for one guy to take on multiple.

Of course, I don't care for the uninteresting artwork/voiceacting/characters/premise of UT, quake or UT2k3, and I usually enjoy vehicular or otherwise more restrictive play than some guy who can run and jump fast in nearly any direction at any instant he pleases.

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
If I wasn't bored to death with FPS'ers in general (with the exception of TRON 2.0, which is God), I'd say that UT2k3 offers the best deathmatch experience, and one of the better mainstream team experiences. It's an excellent game; I just don't have the motivation to load up any non-TRON FPS.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
I got it sometime after it came out so I didn't pay the price games get when first shipped. I got bored with UT2K3 very quickly and deleted from my system. It was not until the mods and mutators started getting interesting that I reinstalled it.

Plays rather well on my 933 756 megs of ram and Geforce 2 ultra. (Except for some of Angel Hearts maps. ;) )

At the moment its dead on my machine due to an error with the key. I need to reinstalled but haven't had a chance.

In the process of setting up my new machine which is a bit faster.

Actually at the moment I am playing UT with the Chaos mutator and messing about.

Looking forward to UT2K4.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
Most people that I have talked to prefer UT over UT2k3. The crappy
models and poor, testosterone loaded(including the female) voices,
and crap levels made for a dissapointing product in which epic broke
a vast majority of the promises they made to the community.

Ryan

banned
May 27, 2001
Puyallup WA
Visit site
FeelTheUniverseXXX said:
If I wasn't bored to death with FPS'ers in general (with the exception of TRON 2.0, which is God)....I just don't have the motivation to load up any non-TRON FPS.
yea man! i just got tron 2.0 for 20 bucks, a steal at that price. i havent played long but its truly great! as for ut2k3, i personally didnt like it, i dont have any reason really..i just played it and got bored? ut2k4 on the other hand may be something to look out for.

novak

Oct 22, 2003
Visit site
My computer has problems running the game and the framerate sometimes sinks to unplayable levels. Occasionally just freezes and boots, too. I tried to figure out why this happens but after a while I just gave up and uninstalled the game.

/me shrugs

Oh and I'm running a 3GHz P4 with a Radeon 9800.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Got UT2k3 a couple of days before "official" release. Begged and whined in the shop until they sold it to me. Well, played the singleplayer thingies through, then tried some online action, didn't like it at all and uninstalled the whole thing. Haven't checked any of the mods for it yet...somehow only inf does it for me matter what.

//Kee

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
Well, this being the Inf forum, I would imagine a lot of people have grown tired of 'unrealistic' style FPS's like Quake and Unreal. This is understandable, but as for my own personal taste, I think as long as you understand that it's nothing like RL it's a perfectly valid method for videogame combat. It's kind of like fighting games- Unreal and Quake are the Street Fighters and Soul Calibur's of the FPS world. Just because they are unrealistic doesn't mean they necessarily have less depth, they're just more or less interesting to some people.

Yurch- teamwork is an interesting issue in DM-style games. The so called 'acrobatics' are part of what get in the way of teamwork. Not only are individuals more able to combat multiple enemies without disadvantage, the wild erratic movements make it very difficult to organize and fight as a team. After all, it's hard to lay down assisting fire when your team mate is constantly jumping and strafing side to side in and out of your line of fire. I've never seen "uber" players play team DM, I'm sure it's possible to do if you coordinate techniques with your team mates, but it takes a lot more work in team work in traditional gun combat.

In this respect I must admit that Halo has some advantage, despite the fact that Halo is basically Unreal on an ovedose of rytalin and painkillers. Since movement is slowed down a lot more, despite the fact that it takes 50 some intermediate rounds to kill an opponent, basic squad tactics do still apply to team work. Of course, erratic combat styles still can get in the way of teamwork, i.e. running blindly at your opponents spraying with the assault rifle and trying to melee people.

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
kavoN said:
My computer has problems running the game and the framerate sometimes sinks to unplayable levels. Occasionally just freezes and boots, too. I tried to figure out why this happens but after a while I just gave up and uninstalled the game.

/me shrugs

Oh and I'm running a 3GHz P4 with a Radeon 9800.
Weird ... I easily get 100 + fps in the benchmark and an average of 40 - 85 in the levels depending on complexity.
And that's a mere 2800 XP + 9800 XT ... of course 1Gb of ram does help.
// ---
As for UT'03 ... you either like the changes or you can't stand them.

IMHO the only bad thing is that the average on-line monkey is obsessed with speed that they forget that they ought to think before they dodgeboost (or whatever it's called). I've never managed to get stuck in any of the standard levels no matter how hard I tried, while these pinballs seem to get stuck every few seconds ...

Off-line vs bots it is more fun because of the improved AI (which is even more fun with the 'superbots'-mutator).

And as with UT'99 ... the game really shines with decent mutators & mods.
The only problem is that there's a real lousy attitude towards quality-control in certain dev-teams (= release now and perhaps fix later).
Perhaps it's the contest, but IMHO people just have very unrealistic expectations concerning modding. So they quickly burnout if stuff doesn't happen quite as fast as they'd like ...

// -- edit --
And (if all goes as planned) there'll be a demo for UT'04 this week (my guess is friday 13th ;)).
It won't get you to magically like UT'04 if you hated UT'03, but the new gametypes (ONS & AS) will get a map each in the demo ... (just be prepared for the inevitable morons on public servers trying to get 'your' vehicle).

Last edited:

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
UT2K3 is a very good game. Nothing less, but nothing more either. UT definitely had a bigger impact on my gaming world but then again, it was one of the first FPS that focused on the multiplayer aspect of gaming. However, UT2K3 is almost all UT had to offer - and more. If I had to choose now, I'd pick UT2K3.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Gnam said:
Yurch- teamwork is an interesting issue in DM-style games. The so called 'acrobatics' are part of what get in the way of teamwork. Not only are individuals more able to combat multiple enemies without disadvantage, the wild erratic movements make it very difficult to organize and fight as a team. After all, it's hard to lay down assisting fire when your team mate is constantly jumping and strafing side to side in and out of your line of fire. I've never seen "uber" players play team DM, I'm sure it's possible to do if you coordinate techniques with your team mates, but it takes a lot more work in team work in traditional gun combat.
You're thinking in real-world terms, which really don't apply in UT2k3.
An 'acrobat' can survive longer, yes, but this also applies to his targets as well. It gives other people the ability to respond and assist in the fighting. It also means less chances of someone popping around the corner and taking out half a team with a loaded 8-ball, as was the case in UT.